The next time we dont "bury" a side.....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

The next time we dont "bury" a side.....

Saw a post on the macth thread about how we needed to grow some 'nads and bury sides when we are in control...

well..from this weekends games..

Bulldogs smashed Sydney in 1st half then were outscored after 1/2 time

Geelong smashed Essendon for 3 quarters then let Ess outscore them in the last (when they had a chance to almost catch our %)

Adelaide were 8 goals in front of Hawthorn at half time but only won by 27 points.

So..PLEASE...can we stop with the unrealisitic screaming and yelling (and posting) every time we get in control of a game and dont go on and win by 120 points? We arent the only ones who dont "bury" sides every week

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
undecided
Club Player

I made a similar post to this about 5 weeks ago and got shot down imediatly. Btw I agree with you, we should bury teams and not let them get a chance to get back into the game.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Re: The next time we dont "bury" a side.....

saint66au wrote:Geelong smashed Essendon for 3 quarters then let Ess outscore them in the last (when they had a chance to almost catch our %)
Agree witht the sentiments - but for Geelong to catch our percentge they needed to kick another 216 points - sorry - but unlikely
undecided wrote:I made a similar post to this about 5 weeks ago and got shot down imediatly. Btw I agree with you, we should bury teams and not let them get a chance to get back into the game.
At what point after half time did we let Melbourne back into the game - they played well for a half - then stopped - like a light weight fighting a heavy weight - can keep up until then energy is spent then collapses. The game was played to our game plan - and yes if we had kicked straight we would have creamed them - the ground at Carrara is hard to score accurately on (as is the MCG) - we were not at the dome on Sat night :(

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Interesting stat about Gee's percentage Sainter Dad..just goes to show how incredibly valuable ours is now...should the unthinkable happen and we drop more than a couple of games in the 2nd half of the year..

I wasnt specifically speaking of Sat nights game..it just frustrates me when fans get blood in their nostrils and pay no repsect to our opponents having a crack at us..it always sems to be about St Kilda "taking the foot off", "having no 'nads" or "not knowing how to bury a side" :roll:

The three games I mentioned proves that it happens to every side at some point..yes even the Cats 8-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:Interesting stat about Gee's percentage Sainter Dad..just goes to show how incredibly valuable ours is now...should the unthinkable happen and we drop more than a couple of games in the 2nd half of the year..

I wasnt specifically speaking of Sat nights game..it just frustrates me when fans get blood in their nostrils and pay no repsect to our opponents having a crack at us..it always sems to be about St Kilda "taking the foot off", "having no 'nads" or "not knowing how to bury a side" :roll:

The three games I mentioned proves that it happens to every side at some point..yes even the Cats 8-)
I agree - and hence I started with agreeing with your sentiments - but also - I hd predicted a 103 - 58 game this week (our average against and their average against) or a 45 point win (maintaining a percentage of 180) we did better than that - and I am sure if it had been a day game with ne dew and in the brilliant sunshine we would have gone on a rampage.

Our percentage is unbelievable - and we have kept it up even with wins by just 37 points!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Milton66
SS Life Member

Re: The next time we dont "bury" a side.....

saint66au wrote:Saw a post on the macth thread about how we needed to grow some 'nads and bury sides when we are in control...

well..from this weekends games..

Bulldogs smashed Sydney in 1st half then were outscored after 1/2 time

Geelong smashed Essendon for 3 quarters then let Ess outscore them in the last (when they had a chance to almost catch our %)

Adelaide were 8 goals in front of Hawthorn at half time but only won by 27 points.

So..PLEASE...can we stop with the unrealisitic screaming and yelling (and posting) every time we get in control of a game and dont go on and win by 120 points? We arent the only ones who dont "bury" sides every week
erm... good luck :wink:

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I think our % is still high???

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Beej
Saintsational Legend

We almost doubled their score and kept them goalless for a half of footy, the same team that went rampant in the second half against Hawthorn the week before.

If it was round 1, our percentage would be 180.

Perspective.

starsign
Club Player

At what point after half time did we let Melbourne back into the game - they played well for a half - then stopped - like a light weight fighting a heavy weight - can keep up until then energy is spent then collapses. The game was played to our game plan - and yes if we had kicked straight we would have creamed them - the ground at Carrara is hard to score accurately on (as is the MCG) - we were not at the dome on Sat night Sad
I'll think you will find the Dees critically put 2 extra men in defence after half time, in effect surrendering into a self preservation mode , practically foregoing any real opportunity to score themselves , but focusing on preventing us from blowing them away ....which is pretty much what then happened.

It resulted from them attempting to match our pressure game for 1.75 quarters (quite well to their credit), but then seeing they wouldn't be able to sustain it , and more importantly the fact that we were starting to outscore them towards half-time...

and hence at the long break they knew if they continued with the same game plan in the second half , they were heading for a big hiding

At least that's my reading of how the game panned out, the second half was pretty much decided by the Dees tactical decision to keep our back half permanently flooded

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Actually if you look at our games this year, we have buried sides, Filth, West Coast, Fremantle, Port etc.
It is good to be ruthless and build percentage, especially early in the season.
This means that the side in maintaining intensity, is focused and isn't going into cruise mode.
However, in this competition it is unrealistic to expect a side to do it every week.
The Essendon game showed a bit of fatigue in my mind due to the short break.
If we had had the same break and judging on the first quarter, think we would have beaten much in the same way Geelong did yesterday.
I am hoping we can come out this week and belt North, if anything to let Geelong know that they are going to have to be at their absolute best to beat us and that the 2009 premiership is going to be fiercely contested.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
BakesFan
SS Life Member

How many on here have actually played footy??
Everyone wants to beat The Gun side.

The Saints ARE The Gun side in the comp at the moment.
EVERY other team now wants to knock us off.
Teams are setting themselves for Saints games.
Our Team is the biggest scalp in footy.

Essendon ran themselves to their limit to try break our defence. They Failed.

Brisbane haven't played harder all year. They Failed.

Melbourne threw absolutely EVERYTHING they had at us. They Failed.

Games will only get tougher from here on in. Everyone wants to be the 1st to beat The Saints in 2009.
Every game from here on in is going to be a tough game.

The Saints have copped it, and The Saints have kept winning.
As much as I want to believe they can win every game(and I do believe they can); I will not be devastated when they drop a game(unless it's the G.F).

The Saints are professional, focused and driven.
They have a goal, and I trust everyone from Ross Lyon to Ross Tungatalum to do their uptmost to achieve that goal.

GO SAINTS!!

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Let's be honest, the last half was terrible to watch.

Sure, we had them under the pump, but we failed to score anywhere near as well as we should have.

BUT....

We did win 4 quarters - which does make up a lot for the dull spectacle.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Let's be honest, the last half was terrible to watch.

Sure, we had them under the pump, but we failed to score anywhere near as well as we should have.

BUT....

You think we failed to score anywhere near as well as we should have, well they failed to score full stop....

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:

BUT....

You think we failed to score anywhere near as well as we should have, well they failed to score full stop....
Not quite, they did score some behinds.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
ohwhenthesaints! wrote:

BUT....

Not quite, they did score some behinds.
You get my point

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

It's not what we score in regards to percentage that is important, it is what the team we are playing scores. This has been our strenght this year. Our defence has kept our opponents scores to next to nothing (I think the average a team scores against us at the moment is 55pts..??).

This is where the Geelong performance wasn't that impressive on the weekend. They let Essendon come back and kick cheap goals against them. There have been claims that they took the foot off the accelerator but I am not sure. I just feel this is an even greater reinforcement of our performances over the last few weeks that even though the team has looked a little fatigued, they have still managed to keep the opponents score very low.

saint3d
Club Player

We 'buried' West Coast, Fremantle, Port Adelaide and Collingwood.

Against Melbourne we kicked 2.5 and 1.6 in the 2nd and 4th quarters.

Against Brisbane we kicked 1.7 in the 2nd quarter.

Against Essendon we kicked 6.5 in the 1st quarter.

Against Bulldogs we kicked 3.7 and 4.7 in the 1st and 2nd quarters.

Against Adelaide we kicked 2.5 in the 2nd quarter.

So apart from round one against Sydney, you could argue that straighter kicking could have seen us bury every team so far.