?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

?

Last edited by aussierules0k on Tue 23 Jun 2009 1:23am, edited 1 time in total.

5 prelims in 7 years. 40 wins from 49 games.
2009 and 2010 were 2 of the 5 best years ever by the St.Kilda FC.
Thanks for all your efforts Saints.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: This I hate:

aussierules0k wrote:For $2 a week
• WIN a share in MILLIONS!*
• 5 chances to WIN lotto each week!
• WIN weekly autographed merchandise!
• Support your Club!

Our club should not be involved with bookies. Lotto is the greatest rip off known to man, there's NO WAY you'll ever win. I've done the maths... it just aint gonna happen.

The "Support your club" line is below the belt.

Really not happy Jan.
Well I suggest you dont get involved and leave it for others to make up their mind.

StSteven
Club Player

Linking your support for the Club with gambling is not only distasteful but also alienates all those opposed to gambling. You are not a "good club member" if you don't join in.

I also hate this emotional blackmail even though I am not opposed to the occasional flutter.

I also hate the hypocisy of the AFL when it goes on about problem drinking and gambling BUT has these institutions as their major sponsors, thus encouraging such behaviour.

(Yes I know it islegal but is it right?)

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

We have moved on from Monkeys (collingwood supporters are the exception) so there fore we have the ability to reason and make intellectual choices, If I don't want to buy a StKilda beanie, I won't , If I don't want to gamble, I won't and I can still carry on and support my club in many other ways.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

I have to say I prefer this to being harassed every home game by those damn scratchie sellers :twisted:

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

StSteven wrote:Linking your support for the Club with gambling is not only distasteful but also alienates all those opposed to gambling. You are not a "good club member" if you don't join in.

I also hate this emotional blackmail even though I am not opposed to the occasional flutter.

I also hate the hypocisy of the AFL when it goes on about problem drinking and gambling BUT has these institutions as their major sponsors, thus encouraging such behaviour.

(Yes I know it islegal but is it right?)
Why would alienate. If I didnt like gambling but the club was sponsered by a bookie I wouldnt care, I just wouldnt use their service. 95% of people bet responsibly so should the club knock back money for those 5% who will bet anyway whether the club use that sponsor or not.

People who advertise gambling ior drinking have a certain amount they will use on the advertising and the saints or any other club for that matter dont take up the sponsorship they will just go elsewhere.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Nothing wrong with it IMO. Many people play lotto (regardless of the odds and whether the divedends are fair). For those Saints who like playing lotto this is an opportunity to do what they like and support the club at the same time.

As Fireman alluded...those who are scarce of upper follicles, buy a beanie or cap, keeps their head warm and supports the club.

The club would be negligent if they didn't explore and take advantage of all opportunities to increase their bottom line.

There's alot of hypocrisy in the world today, especially where corporate meets PC meets government meets social issues meets tree huggers. Amazed that in a society where drinking and smoking is still legal that organisations cannot take advantage of the billions of dollars they make in profit.

aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Tue 23 Jun 2009 1:24am, edited 1 time in total.

5 prelims in 7 years. 40 wins from 49 games.
2009 and 2010 were 2 of the 5 best years ever by the St.Kilda FC.
Thanks for all your efforts Saints.
iremember66
Club Player

Ah! lotto.

You have to be in it to win it -

But your chances are roughly the same...

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Isn't the whole League sponsored by a company that sells alochol?

Really we cant police every supposed vice.

People had to have a level of responsibility with their lives.

If you have an addiction you MUST get help. If you have relationship problems you MUST get help. If you have anger management problems you MUST get help.

It is up to the individual to overcome their problems - but there are organisations to help.

QUIT
AA
GA
Relationships Australia.

Doesn't make you less of a person if you seek assistance.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

On gambling...has the lub ever not been involved in some, way, shape or form??

30 years ago I would go and play watch training, havea game of squash & then havea meal while waiting for the team to be announced to "hear it first".

There were always meat raffles etc....

Ditto after the game when jumpers etc rte raffled off

Now the new involvement is ata higher...and I guess unlimited level...

However those that want to gamble will... ban it and you just get underground bookies etc..

Though I guess if you make it too easy some might succumb.

At the end of the day people need to be responosble for themselves.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I smoke (again) and drink but it's not because I saw a sign or a name of a brand. I also gamble but not because I see an ad. Responsibility comes with age, some can handle it, others can't and look to blame other things. Our knowledge is greater this century but it still doesn't mean we'll make the right decisions just seems we're getting better at deflecting our responsibilities and making up excuses for our actions.

As far as I know there aren't any ads or media campaigns for illicit substances but our kids today seem to have taken to them likes ducks to water. I'm pretty sure no one promotes these activities other than their peers. It seems to be a rite of passage as they mature, trust they'll make the right decisions and help those that can't. It's all about ownership and taking responsibility.