Jimmy Gwilt - Best 22

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

One Eyed Saint
Club Player

Jimmy Gwilt - Best 22

Went to Etihad today and was very impressed with Gwilt.

He has progressed slower than others in the last 3-4 years but now seems to be finding his feet.

Jimmy has:
1. Good decision making skills
2. Poise under pressure
3. Strong hands, and
4. Great foot skills

He might not have the flair of Roo, Dal or others but is a very solid contributor

It surprises me that after the Nth game he gets consistent mentioned as being dropped for others.

Before Gwilt I would drop:
1. Raph - Poor form
2. Baker - form ok but faster pace of game doesn't help him

If he maintains current form, he should be a definite starter come September.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jimmy Gwilt - Best 22

don't mind him as a player, but i'd like to see more from him in the way of goals (he has five for the season) if he is to stay in the forward line.

imo there are others like gilbert and bj (if we could spare them) who can play that role better.
Last edited by bigcarl on Sun 07 Jun 2009 6:45pm, edited 2 times in total.

claystreet
Club Player

Jimmy saved his own ass yesterday by putting in a very good game. I called for his scalp the other week for being a pussy around the packs.

Rossy has alot of confidence in him and only time will tell

Agree Raf needs a run in the magoos

Bakes no point in dropping him yet imho

send out the runner
Club Player

The difference in Gwilts game is that he stayed on his feet. He usually goes to ground which puts him out of every contested ball.

He was very good in all aspects of the game, and to have a 3 tall who has a beautiful set shot is in my oppinion priceless. What I loved about Hamill was his hardness at the ball and the contest he made out of nothing. Gwilt will get there with some time and knowing full well he is doing his job and is in our best 22. How many goals would Aaron kick a game?

All players make mistakes, its just we forget or forgive the ones made by the untouchables. I never have questioned his endeavour his confidence is swelling with each game.

saint vince
Club Player

send out the runner wrote:The difference in Gwilts game is that he stayed on his feet. He usually goes to ground which puts him out of every contested ball.

He was very good in all aspects of the game, and to have a 3 tall who has a beautiful set shot is in my oppinion priceless. What I loved about Hamill was his hardness at the ball and the contest he made out of nothing. Gwilt will get there with some time and knowing full well he is doing his job and is in our best 22. How many goals would Aaron kick a game?

All players make mistakes, its just we forget or forgive the ones made by the untouchables. I never have questioned his endeavour his confidence is swelling with each game.
Why does our third tall forward have to be compared to Hamil. Should we compare every centre man with Ian Stewart and every ful forward with Tony Lockett.

He is not Hamil and never will be but a lot of teams would love to have Gwilt as thier 3rd forward. Some would be happy to have him as thier 1st or 2nd.

RodKeoghsLoveChild
Club Player

I disagree.

Dempster is in our 22 at his expense.

Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes.
saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

RodKeoghsLoveChild wrote:I disagree.

Dempster is in our 22 at his expense.
How many games would Dempster need to displace Jimi...would need to be playing good footy from about round 15...Gwilt and Dempster not necessarily even competing for the same spot with Jimi playing forward...think Bakes and Dempster will be the choice if and when Dempster gets going!

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Gwilt - playing as a third fwd, getting zero attention.......and averaging 12 poss. and 0.4 goals.....why would teams want him as a 1st or second with an actual key defender........yesterday he had Scott McMahon......

he kicked one and had a dozen touches......in one of his better ones....pffft....Charlie Gardiner could do that....infact his career averages say that he did do that, and was delisted.....

And please....I never want to hear a comparison between Hamill and Gwilt....one was ferocious and split packs, the other jogs around behind the play, has taken less than a handful of contested marks and is zoned off by defenders.....

Gwilt is a good kick.......there's a positive

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:
With respect Mart think you are unvaluing Gwilts contribution this year...

Think he is doing his bit and is still developing...

Some of his forward pressure and 1 % ers have been significant IMO

We'll just agree to differ.

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

It'd be nice to see him break out of a jog occasionally.......

Some fools had him in the votes ahead of Riewoldt.........would you like to hear the stats......fair dinkum.....yesterday he played his part......but was NOT integral in the win....other weeks he has been average at best.....even worse, his opponent has been one of the best for the opposition weekly......

Positives - good kick (so was Schwarta), size

Negatives - Speed, Agility, Endurance, Physicality, Decision making, Ground level, Contested marking.....

I believe he is in the right place at the right time WRT to availability.......playing as a lead up medium fwd (in the days of defensive zoning)......in a team dominating in the midfield......

If Gilbert, Sam F, Goddard, Blake, Lynch, Maguire were in the same role, they would have equal or better numbers.....

These players at other teams playing the same role in similar set-ups
S.Johnson, R.O'Keefe, R.Murphy, LeCras among others are all more damaging....

maverick
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:It'd be nice to see him break out of a jog occasionally.......

Some fools had him in the votes ahead of Riewoldt.........would you like to hear the stats......fair dinkum.....yesterday he played his part......but was NOT integral in the win....other weeks he has been average at best.....even worse, his opponent has been one of the best for the opposition weekly......

Positives - good kick (so was Schwarta), size

Negatives - Speed, Agility, Endurance, Physicality, Decision making, Ground level, Contested marking.....

I believe he is in the right place at the right time WRT to availability.......playing as a lead up medium fwd (in the days of defensive zoning)......in a team dominating in the midfield......

If Gilbert, Sam F, Goddard, Blake, Lynch, Maguire were in the same role, they would have equal or better numbers.....

These players at other teams playing the same role in similar set-ups
S.Johnson, R.O'Keefe, R.Murphy, LeCras among others are all more damaging....
Have to agree with pretty much all of that, except I think he is a reasonable contested mark, and his decision making is slow but usually OK.

I thought Jimmy was quite ordinary until his 5 minute purple patch in the last qtr.

Milton66
SS Life Member

In fairness to Jimmy, WCE and Bulldogs have no real key fwds, so yes, the above mentioned will be more damaging because they get more of it.

He's competing against a red hot Roo and Kosi, who are the designated go to players.

Johnson is one out of the box.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

IMHO Jimmy is best used off the half foward flank or in the foward pocket as either a decoy target or a genuine mid sized foward. Putting him up the ground or in the backline exposes his weakness i.e lack of defensive awareness, unreliable decision making and eratic (at times) disposal.

If I was Ross I would leave him in the pocket or on the flank to use his strength, good marking and decent goal kicking to greatest effect, if we can get a 2-3 goal average out of him and take a defender away from Kosi and Roo he would be worth his spot

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Hurricane wrote:if we can get a 2-3 goal average out of him and take a defender away from Kosi and Roo he would be worth his spot
agree, but he's a fair way off that.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Milton66 wrote:In fairness to Jimmy, WCE and Bulldogs have no real key fwds, so yes, the above mentioned will be more damaging because they get more of it.

He's competing against a red hot Roo and Kosi, who are the designated go to players.
fair point, but you could argue that they'd be more inclined to go to a gilbert or a bj than jimmy.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Gwilt - playing as a third fwd, getting zero attention.......and averaging 12 poss. and 0.4 goals.....why would teams want him as a 1st or second with an actual key defender........yesterday he had Scott McMahon......

he kicked one and had a dozen touches......in one of his better ones....pffft....Charlie Gardiner could do that....infact his career averages say that he did do that, and was delisted.....

And please....I never want to hear a comparison between Hamill and Gwilt....one was ferocious and split packs, the other jogs around behind the play, has taken less than a handful of contested marks and is zoned off by defenders.....

There you go again lying about stats. People who use stats and lie I find pathetic if it to help their cause. I as I said to you on a previous post which you ignored he had 15 possessions for a start and also 85 dream team points which suggests he did very well with thoses stats. You also said you were at the game but didnt seem to know who Max played on. Were you at the game?

Go Sainters Go
Club Player

What about his goal assists - against North, I can recall two great passes to Kosi for goals and one to Roo for a goal. Also, he is taking a backman away from double/triple teaming Rooey - that's gold. Gwilt is playing his role to precision, that's why he's in the 22.

Once a "Saint" always a trueblooded "Saint"
Milton66
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote:
Milton66 wrote:In fairness to Jimmy, WCE and Bulldogs have no real key fwds, so yes, the above mentioned will be more damaging because they get more of it.

fair point, but you could argue that they'd be more inclined to go to a gilbert or a bj than jimmy.
Maybe yes, and maybe no. From what I've seen this year, when BJ is fwd, he's there as fwd #1 or #2.

Gee, if we could free up BJ to play fwd, that would be great. But he is a more dangerous in the midlle, and Gilbo is best down back.

Unless you have other stepping up, you're robbing Peter to pay Paul.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Milton66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

Maybe yes, and maybe no. From what I've seen this year, when BJ is fwd, he's there as fwd #1 or #2.

Gee, if we could free up BJ to play fwd, that would be great. But he is a more dangerous in the midlle, and Gilbo is best down back.

we've got a balance problem in the backline with max back in and look a bit too tall. something will have to give down there at some stage imo.

Milton66
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote:
Milton66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

we've got a balance problem in the backline with max back in and look a bit too tall.
I also suspect that we need some good kicks to deliver the ball inside 50 quickly. Hence BJ's value up the ground.

Who knows, maybe if Dempster gets back...

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Milton66 wrote:I also suspect that we need some good kicks to deliver the ball inside 50 quickly. Hence BJ's value up the ground.
his kicking would also be of value in a forward line that often struggles to convert.

but yes, he is very valuable where ever he plays.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Gwilt played a very solid game on Saturday, probably his second best behind his performance against Essendon (remember correctly) this year...

He is imporving, and it is taking time... But a break out game is close, with a bag of 4 or 5 on the way... It may even be this week against the blues, who will no doubt put 100% of thier efforts into Roo and Kos, and let Jimmy roam free... He should look to get a bit deeper forward this week, closer to goal...

It was intimated that he just strolls around the ground in first gear earlier in this thread...

Utter rubbish... Gwilt plays a very specific roll, and works his arse off doing it... He often attempts to draw tackles and use his body... Whilst working up and down the ground... He has ticker and is learning his possie...

Comparing him to Charlie Gardiner is a joke... One is a skillful, young, developing player who works hard, the other was a soft, showpony, frontrunning, reject who took the easy option... Good to see Jimmy has made Charlie's spot from last year his own...

Red
Club Player

It's easier to get a kick down back than up forward, especially when there are

two great targets up front and the ball being directed through them.

I believe his value is in that he can spot up a player and penetrate with his

kicking, something we sometimes lack with our midfielders.

Ross Lyon and his assistants obviously like what he is doing, otherwise he

would be replaced by one of the inform guys in the vfl.

saintjake
Club Player

i think alot of you are blinded from your purer distaste for gwilt.
if you actually watch the games, he lays blocks, which get roo, kosi and
s-man free.
give him more time, we have nothing to gain by dropping him.
and are 11 and 0
he could become a very nice player.
not comparing them, but very much of the ROK mould. (who btw, only av. jsut over a goal a game i think from memory)

Milton66
SS Life Member

saintjake wrote:i think alot of you are blinded from your purer distaste for gwilt.
if you actually watch the games, he lays blocks, which get roo, kosi and
s-man free.
give him more time, we have nothing to gain by dropping him.
and are 11 and 0
he could become a very nice player.
not comparing them, but very much of the ROK mould. (who btw, only av. jsut over a goal a game i think from memory)
Excellent comment Jake. A lot of supporters judge players by thier stats.

If you want the best out of your key fwds, their are 2 factors involved...

Firstly, it's quick delivery, and secondly, it's about having players there to help make space for them.

Lethal always stated that it's the work of the lesser players to create and asist the gifted players fully utilise their gifts.

I suspect that this is what Jimmy's role is, and seeing he hasn't been dropped, we can assume that he's doing it according to the coach's expectations so far.

Also interesting to note is the articles on players where a common theme is that it takes a while to feel "part of the team" and to feel that they "belong" (even King had this).

So give the kid time, and let him develop his confidence and belief.