The stk "supporters"

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

super dooper
Club Player

The stk "supporters"

I'm not sure about other members on here but has everyone been noticing a lot more complaining, whinging and constant bagging of our own players in games when things arent going exactly to plan?

I was sitting on level 2 on the weekend in the mcc allocated area (aisle 40) and i was very close to go sit somewhere else as was the dribble that was being said by numerous "supporters". I sit level 2 in the guts at home games and sometimes it ain't much better there i'm afraid...

Mind you these are the first to jump up and down and sing the praises when we started to dominate...

One moment that stood out to me on the weekend in particular when nicky dal took that mark to score our first goal followed by the quote "not a bad mark for a down hill skier".

And another moment at McEvoy on the wing when he was outmarked by McIntosh the critics were out in force saying he was "useless and would amount to nothing", "stop wasting our time", "come sit up here u dud".

Seriously these "supporters" need to have a good look at themselves. He played his 3rd game of senior footy FFS!!! Give the kid a chance.

Players like Cox, Jolly, Sandilands, McIntosh werent guns from game 1, ruchmen take more time than most to adapt to the pace of the game.

I know we all have our own whipping boys (and i'm not alone with schnieder) but the constant, ignorant bagging of our own in the past 4-5 weeks we're we havent been at our best is really starting to irritate me at games.

Can people understand that players dont have to rack up 25 touches and a couple goals to keep their place in the side. Players like Mcqualter, Gwilt etc are there for specific roles and personally i think they've done a super job this year. If they fulfil their roles we generally win, pretty simple!

Just wanted to see if anyone else has noticed the increase in bagging of our own?

Please people don't let the expectations of being on top of the ladder ruin your and my experience at the football, if we're good enough we'll make it to the big dance, if not, so be it at least we're gonna give it a shake!

SaintJay
Club Player

The other one I'm hearing a lot is 'stop stuffing around with it,' when the Saints kick sideways or backwards or have chains of handballs in congested situations. Yet these same people complain when instead if handballing or kicking sideways, they kick long and it gets marked by an opposition player or gets kicked to space. Some people just don't seem to be lateral thinkers. The sideways ball movement and chains of handballs are all about, breaking lines, opening up space and controlling the ball. All of these result in goals or at least deny the opposition. If you don't get it, don't criticize.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I was sitting behind supporters with similar comments on the weekend, truth is they have probably made a habit of it by now. I mean, look how many people bag players on here....

happy feet
Club Player

live the motto

My favourite comment to such people is......if you think you can do any better then go and pull on a jumper and have a go........if not shut up.

fortius quo fidelius

GO SAINTS

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Re: live the motto

happy feet wrote:My favourite comment to such people is......if you think you can do any better then go and pull on a jumper and have a go........if not shut up.

fortius quo fidelius

GO SAINTS
I have to admit I can get critical but is there anything wrong with that?
We aren't robots that have to like everything.
I am loyal to the club, have been before all these players were born so if I want to have a crack at a player I will, it's funny when the club was terrible there was less criticism thrown at the players by all , now that they are quality the microscope is out and personally I think thats the way it should be.
I have played but am a bit too old to pull a jumper on now and I won't shut up.
If a player deserves then criticism the so be it.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: The stk "supporters"

super dooper wrote:I'm not sure about other members on here but has everyone been noticing a lot more complaining, whinging and constant bagging of our own players in games when things arent going exactly to plan?

I was sitting on level 2 on the weekend in the mcc allocated area (aisle 40) and i was very close to go sit somewhere else as was the dribble that was being said by numerous "supporters". I sit level 2 in the guts at home games and sometimes it ain't much better there i'm afraid...

Mind you these are the first to jump up and down and sing the praises when we started to dominate...

One moment that stood out to me on the weekend in particular when nicky dal took that mark to score our first goal followed by the quote "not a bad mark for a down hill skier".

And another moment at McEvoy on the wing when he was outmarked by McIntosh the critics were out in force saying he was "useless and would amount to nothing", "stop wasting our time", "come sit up here u dud".

Seriously these "supporters" need to have a good look at themselves. He played his 3rd game of senior footy FFS!!! Give the kid a chance.

Players like Cox, Jolly, Sandilands, McIntosh werent guns from game 1, ruchmen take more time than most to adapt to the pace of the game.

I know we all have our own whipping boys (and i'm not alone with schnieder) but the constant, ignorant bagging of our own in the past 4-5 weeks we're we havent been at our best is really starting to irritate me at games.

Can people understand that players dont have to rack up 25 touches and a couple goals to keep their place in the side. Players like Mcqualter, Gwilt etc are there for specific roles and personally i think they've done a super job this year. If they fulfil their roles we generally win, pretty simple!

Just wanted to see if anyone else has noticed the increase in bagging of our own?

Please people don't let the expectations of being on top of the ladder ruin your and my experience at the football, if we're good enough we'll make it to the big dance, if not, so be it at least we're gonna give it a shake!

you only have to look at the posts on here to see the type of fickle unreasonable supporters we have...admittedly they are a small % of the total ..but we have them nevertheless........armchair footballers who have probably never put their body on the line......and who possess about 1% of the talent of those that they are bagging.........yeah...i have bagged a st kilda footballer.....one.......rix...but he should never have been out there......we don't have any of his standard on our list anymore......thankfully....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:

you only have to look at the posts on here to see the type of fickle unreasonable supporters we have...admittedly they are a small % of the total ..but we have them nevertheless........armchair footballers who have probably never put their body on the line......and who possess about 1% of the talent of those that they are bagging.........yeah...i have bagged a st kilda footballer.....one.......rix...but he should never have been out there......we don't have any of his standard on our list anymore......thankfully....
You would have had your work cut out for you in the early 80's

PS do you think I'm one of those unreasonable supporters?

stinger
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:
stinger wrote:

nope.... :wink: :lol: ...but i never bag saints players...would be like bagging my kids.......

HarveysDeciple

It makes me want to stay home sometimes....Destroying brain cells listening to halfwits who have no idea.

Gwilt had a ball kicked 20 metres over his head by McQualter a couple of weeks ago. Yet it was gwilt's fault in the eyes of those around me :roll:

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

C'mon Stinger, there must be times when you've had a crack at a player.
I know where you are coming from, I have had a few run ins with some mates I go with only because their criticism was unreasonable.
I bagged Raph for instance simply because I think we have players in the 2s that should be there in his place.

PS I have bagged my kids aswell ;)

stinger
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:C'mon Stinger, there must be times when you've had a crack at a player.
I know where you are coming from, I have had a few run ins with some mates I go with only because their criticism was unreasonable.
I bagged Raph for instance simply because I think we have players in the 2s that should be there in his place.

well....not to happy with kingy at the moment.....

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
The Fireman wrote:C'mon Stinger, there must be times when you've had a crack at a player.

See.... :wink: :D

The King thing...The Roos came out to rough us up...Kingy decided to do something about it.

VietNam_Saint
Club Player

The Fireman wrote:
stinger wrote:

See.... :wink: :D

The King thing...The Roos came out to rough us up...Kingy decided to do something about it.
Yep , and good on him ,, cost not just him , but his team mates , his club and his supporters ,,
Don't get me wrong ,, I've played footy and have fired a few wayward things off , but at this level of professionality (big word,too many beers)and a flag in the balance ????

I am positive he would be more pissed than all of us as I know he would have relished the Geelong game

END

What will be next from this club ?
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

SaintJay wrote:The other one I'm hearing a lot is 'stop stuffing around with it,' when the Saints kick sideways or backwards or have chains of handballs in congested situations. Yet these same people complain when instead if handballing or kicking sideways, they kick long and it gets marked by an opposition player or gets kicked to space. Some people just don't seem to be lateral thinkers. The sideways ball movement and chains of handballs are all about, breaking lines, opening up space and controlling the ball. All of these result in goals or at least deny the opposition. If you don't get it, don't criticize.
Yep..thats the one that gets right up my nose

The front of Level 3 where I sit is a great place to watch footy...but its also the downfall of a few people. We can see all the spaces, all the holes, all the blokes on their own...but some fans think the players have the same view and scream blue murder when someone in space isnt utilised.

If some people bothered to watch any games apart from St Kilda's they'd see that EVERY team zones off (Pick up your men!!!) uses handball in close (Stop stuffing around just kick it!) and moves backwards to create space (Kick it down the guts!!) ..Every side, even (one could say especially) Geelong!!!

Welcome to footy in 2009 folks, this isnt Moorabbin in the 80's any more

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:
stinger wrote:

FWIW I do! In reckon shi-canning your own is weak, childish and probably shows an inability by the sh-tcanner to communicate beyond some kind of primal, underdeveloped and hopelessly inept level.

To you - if indeed you are of the 'type' and I don't have a clue one way or another - next time you stoop to the level of a bog standard Collingwood or Richmond supporter, I say have a bloody good around at all the people scowling at you for being such an immature, sniping tool. Then, if you dare, look at the kids sitting around you looking at you thinking the same thing. Then go for a slow walk down a long hall of mirrors and have bloody good look at yourself.

markp
Saintsational Legend

It doesn't take Dr Freud to see that many of these people have some self-loathing issues that would be better dealt with by a therapist.... alas, a ticket to the footy is much cheaper.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Doesn't make you less a supporter. A more negative one yes, but means you most probably care even more than the positive everything rosy supporter.
It's a natural defence mechanism for someone that is hurting. Watching ordinary performances can be very painful,people need to vent. Whilst not advocating standing up and questioning our players exsistance,I'm happy to give a "pull your finger out,that's crap!". Perfect example,S.Fisher on the weekend spoiling a ball when he should of taken an uncontested mark that resulted in a goal to North. He deserved some constructive critism on that occasion

Bring back the Lockett era
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:

The front of Level 3 where I sit is a great place to watch footy...but its also the downfall of a few people. We can see all the spaces, all the holes, all the blokes on their own...but some fans think the players have the same view and scream blue murder when someone in space isnt utilised.

If some people bothered to watch any games apart from St Kilda's they'd see that EVERY team zones off (Pick up your men!!!) uses handball in close (Stop stuffing around just kick it!) and moves backwards to create space (Kick it down the guts!!) ..Every side, even (one could say especially) Geelong!!!

And a good luck with educating that mob of uncouth unwashed bogans on the MW.

At least I was up there on the weekend to educate you lot when it comes to football.

I am also extremely funny, charasmatic, and sexy.

You should pay me to sit up there.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
saint66au wrote:

At least I was up there on the weekend to educate you lot when it comes to football.

But sadly a poor speller.

It just reflects the human condition; some of us carry glasses that are half full, others worry about their half empty ones. Some of us take our footy a little seriously, others don't understand the gravity of the situation.

Let the idiots shout! The beauty of the OP is that it could have been made at any of 16 clubs' fan forums - just change a few names. Probably reflects the notion that the journey from single cells to our current state wasn't quite as long as we may have thought.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

I had a bloke behind me do nothing but bag the crap out of the saints for the entire first half, no one was spared, my favorite comment was when Raph was sat on by Edwards when he took the big grab, "Raph you're useless", I had to turn around and say something at that point..

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Mate, I can easily top that.

Bloke in a numberless jumper, 09 Members scarf, old beanie in main stand a Carrara about three rows from front...

Lenny Hayes fumbles a ball under a pack...

Our man jumps to his feet starts pointing his finger in a stabbing motion and yells...'Hayes you are an old hack!'

I mean what can you say?

SaintDebi
Club Player

Thinline wrote:Mate, I can easily top that.

Bloke in a numberless jumper, 09 Members scarf, old beanie in main stand a Carrara about three rows from front...

Lenny Hayes fumbles a ball under a pack...

Our man jumps to his feet starts pointing his finger in a stabbing motion and yells...'Hayes you are an old hack!'

I mean what can you say?
Ok. My post was going to be about how boring games would be if we all agreed, nobody yelled out remarks, stupid or otherwise, how a bit of banter never hurt anyone, blah, blah, blah......

until I read your post, Thinline:
How can anybody dare to hang it on my Lenny!
Must have been a real cretin.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
saint66au wrote:

Yeah thanks for pointing out soooo quietly that #38 for North is Josh Gibson not Michael Furitto AFTER i made a complete goose of myself at 130db

Apparently Furitto is #11? What happened to that Archer chap?? :shock:

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
saint66au wrote:

Yeah thanks for pointing out soooo quietly that #38 for North is Josh Gibson not Michael Furitto AFTER i made a complete goose of myself at 130db

Apparently Furitto is #11? What happened to that Archer chap?? :shock:
Dunno - what happend to Archer, but can tell you that Symthe has taken the No.20 guernsey from Petrie, and then dished up a whole load of tripe all day.

And cb18 you are a speillng Nazzie

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:Doesn't make you less a supporter. A more negative one yes, but means you most probably care even more than the positive everything rosy supporter.
It's a natural defence mechanism for someone that is hurting. Watching ordinary performances can be very painful,people need to vent. Whilst not advocating standing up and questioning our players exsistance,I'm happy to give a "pull your finger out,that's crap!". Perfect example,S.Fisher on the weekend spoiling a ball when he should of taken an uncontested mark that resulted in a goal to North. He deserved some constructive critism on that occasion
I hardly think screaming negative comments to our players means you care more....I just prefer to make a quiet observation to my husband rather than bleat it out in front of opposition supporters.