Kosi the best contested Mark in the AFL

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Marcus1232
Club Player

Kosi the best contested Mark in the AFL

I honestly dont think there is another player in the AFL that can take a Pack mark and make it look as easy as he does on a consistent basis.
Its a pleasure to watch and even if he doesn't mark it he smashes the packs bloody hard and he makes defenders think twice about going into a contest with him and sets up for our little guys to work there magic.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

You won't get me disagreeing with you....

Listening to his interview after the match, I think it's because he thoroughly enjoys the challenge of smashing a pack and seeing if he might just end up with the ball in his hands.

Loyal
Club Player

Kosi is the best constested mark in the comp
They are my words Ox stole them from me :)

Footy Classified - NO ROOM FOR THE, who farted?
battye
Saintsational Legend

Riewoldt isn't bad either :lol:

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
Marcus1232
Club Player

battye wrote:Riewoldt isn't bad either :lol:
Its a tough life with our forward line atm isnt it

I just like watching Kosi go for pack marks cause he hits the packs so bloody hard.

Its also nice that they are staying out of each others way now

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Roughead goes ok - I think hes better than Roo (Roo better on the burst imo)but Kosi shades Roughead in contested.

Honourable mention to Richo also who IMO is one on one unstoppable.

He loves it Kos.

Interesting I mentioned this a long time back when many were screaming Kosi is a ruck..(including coaches) that in the modern game when so much depends on lead up, pin point passing into fwd 50......the advantage to us from Kosi hadnt been realised cause pack marks are just so tough to take esepcially close to goal.......ironically the best in history (according to many) was Carey and he changed games doing this. This is the level of impact Kosi can have and we saw it on the weekend - it lifts the entire side. Stewie Loewe did this on occasion also. Its why Kosi IMHO is the x factor - he is a game breaker more so than Riewoldt in my eyes (Riewoldt is fanatically consistently brilliant all over the ground) - Kosi in 10 mins can tear a defence apart IF HES ON and I guess there is nothing more physically frustrating/intimidating to an opposition defence when you send three up against a guy and he STILL takes the grab. Its demoralising in some respects...

Keep it up Kos your still to hit your pinnacle IMHO.

“Yeah….nah””
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

This is Kosi's strength...so it is great that we are finally using him ina role that makes the most of his strengths.

Works in well with Roo now that the two of them seem to be minimising how much they try and mark the same ball...which used to happen alot.

Now when we charge forward players can look fora leading Roo..and if he is not on and the guy with the bal is under pressure they can just pump it towards Kosi. The trick beinga kick so that Kosi stays in motion...for his one on one contested marks against a big bodied full back are not good.

You need Kois in the air...moving...

In this apsect he is the best contested mark in the AFL.

But holding his ground one-on-one...Kosi is not that good...is only average.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

As much as I love Kosi, I think Jonathan Brown might take the points here.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:ironically the best in history (according to many) was Carey and he changed games doing this.
lockett wasn't bad.

as others have said, it means we can kick to a contest rather than have to pinpoint it on to a guy's chest every time.

it encourages quick delivery of the ball into the forward line (which had been a problem for us) and opens up opportunities for the bottom-feeders like milne.

i'm thrilled with kosi's progress this season.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Contested mark, im not so sure... Body on body, Kosi still has a lot to learn, and often gets out positioned or outbodys his opponant incorrectly...

Pack mark however, he is the best in the AFL, by a mile... When the ball is coming in high and Kosi has a good run at it, there is nobody better in the business (and nothing better to watch imo)...

If he doesnt stick the mark, he'll split the pack, often leading to a goal anyway... Has been doing this for many seasons on end, he just never got the chance to settle in a position and make it his own...... Finally he's getting the credit he deserves for it...

If Kosi can improve his body on body contests as he has improved his leading this year, he will be nigh on unstoppable...

Lucky we didnt trade him!!!....

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:Contested mark, im not so sure... Body on body, Kosi still has a lot to learn, and often gets out positioned or outbodys his opponant incorrectly...
yes, fair distinction and probably right.

Marcus1232
Club Player

I think thats what i was more getting at but i see the big packs as more of a contested mark than a one on one marking contest

Legendary
Club Player

Geez, Stewie Loewe wasn't too bad either ...

Marcus1232
Club Player

At the moment current players

starsign
Club Player

This is Kosi's strength...so it is great that we are finally using him ina role that makes the most of his strengths.

Works in well with Roo now that the two of them seem to be minimising how much they try and mark the same ball...which used to happen alot.
yep and with a firing Milney & Schneids in there as he splits them asunder ....
We got da makings!!!

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Contested marks? Nah. According to the wise ones on this Board they are a waste of time. Kosi (and Nick) should instead be going the punch!

Moods
Saintsational Legend

I'm wondering when other teams are going to work out that you have to take Kosi's run away when going for a mark. Hopefully never. Has to lift the team when he drags in those marks or splits the packs and Milney runs onto it.

If he can improve his one on one work I reckon he'd be the most dangerous big fwd in the comp, not the best neccessarily, but the most dangerous.

Funny thing is that Gehrig in his hey day was a great one on one mark and a good mark on the lead but a terrible pack mark. Now if we could only combine the two :)

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:Roughead goes ok - I think hes better than Roo (Roo better on the burst imo)but Kosi shades Roughead in contested.

Honourable mention to Richo also who IMO is one on one unstoppable.

He loves it Kos.

Interesting I mentioned this a long time back when many were screaming Kosi is a ruck..(including coaches) that in the modern game when so much depends on lead up, pin point passing into fwd 50......the advantage to us from Kosi hadnt been realised cause pack marks are just so tough to take esepcially close to goal.......ironically the best in history (according to many) was Carey and he changed games doing this. This is the level of impact Kosi can have and we saw it on the weekend - it lifts the entire side. Stewie Loewe did this on occasion also. Its why Kosi IMHO is the x factor - he is a game breaker more so than Riewoldt in my eyes (Riewoldt is fanatically consistently brilliant all over the ground) - Kosi in 10 mins can tear a defence apart IF HES ON and I guess there is nothing more physically frustrating/intimidating to an opposition defence when you send three up against a guy and he STILL takes the grab. Its demoralising in some respects...

Keep it up Kos your still to hit your pinnacle IMHO.
goodpostimho....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.