Robert Shaw's Team of the Year (so far)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Raven
Club Player

Robert Shaw's Team of the Year (so far)

D. Wirrapanda (twice) B. Lake (Three) S. Prestigiacomo (four)

C. Enright (three) S.Fisher (Three) J. Drummond (Once)

L. Montagna (Four) L.Hayes (Twice) J. Selwood (four)

S. Johnson (six) J. Brown (Three) J. Akermanis (three)

L. Davis (twice) B. Fevola (Three) N.Reiwoldt (four)

A. Sandilands (Twice) C. Judd (five) © G.Ablett (five)

Interchange

D.Cox (four) P.Chapman (three) M.Boyd (twice)

A.Goodes (twice) C.Rioli (Once) C.Jones (Once)

Coach

Ross Lyon (Twice)

There's a fair few Saints in there, and nice that Ross Lyon got a mention too.
Last edited by Raven on Wed 10 Jun 2009 11:44pm, edited 1 time in total.

James
Club Player

Boyd, Goodes, Chapman, Enright, Rioli, Wirrapanda and Akermanis? Surely there's been better this season.

What do the numbers mean? Steve Johnson can't have been All Australian six times, and Montagna can't have had four selections yet...

Riewoldt is a superstar, but please. He's wholly over-rated. Being as good as he is really isn't that impressive when practically every single disposal from your side is directed at you. Other players would have kicked 50 goals already this year with special attention from Dal Santo, Montagna and Goddard.

Otherwise it seems about right.

Brendon Goddard - 2012 Premiership Captain
Legendary
Club Player

James wrote: Riewoldt is a superstar, but please. He's wholly over-rated. Being as good as he is really isn't that impressive when practically every single disposal from your side is directed at you. Other players would have kicked 50 goals already this year with special attention from Dal Santo, Montagna and Goddard.
Actually, 42% of our goals this year have come from midfielders, the highest ever at the Saints at one of the highest in the competition. So it would suggest that Riewoldt's opportunities to kick goals have been more limited than you say. Furthermore, Riewoldt plays some of his football up the ground, and is often the one directing a kick inside 50m.

Riewoldt is a lot of things, but over-rated is not one of them. One of the most consistent, hard-working and match winning players in the AFL.

James
Club Player

That's fair enough, but then why is he named in a Forward Pocket?

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

You forgot to bold L Hayes...

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
degruch
Saintsational Legend

James wrote:That's fair enough, but then why is he named in a Forward Pocket?
Because he was a failed Adelaide Crows coach?

doristhesaint
Club Player

James wrote:Boyd, Goodes, Chapman, Enright, Rioli, Wirrapanda and Akermanis? Surely there's been better this season.

What do the numbers mean? Steve Johnson can't have been All Australian six times, and Montagna can't have had four selections yet...

Riewoldt is a superstar, but please. He's wholly over-rated. Being as good as he is really isn't that impressive when practically every single disposal from your side is directed at you. Other players would have kicked 50 goals already this year with special attention from Dal Santo, Montagna and Goddard.

James you poor flog the numbers beside the players are for how many times they have been in Shaw's team of the week :oops:
And if you actually watched Roo you would relise his effect on the team is measured in a lot more ways than goals :roll:

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:
James wrote: Riewoldt is a superstar, but please. He's wholly over-rated. Being as good as he is really isn't that impressive when practically every single disposal from your side is directed at you. Other players would have kicked 50 goals already this year with special attention from Dal Santo, Montagna and Goddard.
Actually, 42% of our goals this year have come from midfielders, the highest ever at the Saints at one of the highest in the competition. So it would suggest that Riewoldt's opportunities to kick goals have been more limited than you say. Furthermore, Riewoldt plays some of his football up the ground, and is often the one directing a kick inside 50m.

Riewoldt is a lot of things, but over-rated is not one of them. One of the most consistent, hard-working and match winning players in the AFL.
Yep..overrated players win 4 Club B&F's :roll:

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
saint vince
Club Player

James wrote:Boyd, Goodes, Chapman, Enright, Rioli, Wirrapanda and Akermanis? Surely there's been better this season.

Easy to have a go from the cheap seats. You pick your replacements for the above players if you think they are so wrong.
BTW The numbers beside the name is the amount of times he has picked that player in his team of the week.

saintly_safes
Club Player

I really dont think you know much about footy if you think Roo is overated.He is the main reason why we are 11 & zip . He sets an example for the team to follow & his work rate is the best in the competition.Imo he is the furtherest thing from overated & the worst thing is it is our own (so called)supporters underating him. :evil:

Richter
SS Life Member

IMO Gilbert and Dal stiff to miss out.

Also Nick Riewoldt for the last 12 months has clearly been the outstanding number 1 CHF in the AFL.

(IMO well before that in all honesty).

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Riewoldt is a superstar, but please. He's wholly over-rated
Spot the contradiction 8-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Jewellzy
Club Player

James wrote:Riewoldt is a superstar, but please. He's wholly over-rated.
Firstly, how can you be a superstar and be overrated?

Second, the next St.Kilda game you go to, don't follow the ball and just watch Riewoldt. Then come back and tell us he's overrated :roll:

The Phoenix Suns and St.Kilda Saints should have at least 5 championships between them since their sudden surge to elite status in 2004.

Actual championships: 0
Legendary
Club Player

Also would think Riewoldt would have to be close to captaining that team.

He is now one of the best leaders in the AFL. Hasn't missed a crucial goal, and always steps up when we need. Great in the media and commands everything around the club.

James
Club Player

Wow, I say one thing about Nick Riewoldt that isn't "OMG HE'S THE GREATEST EVER" and everyone shoots me down.

I said he's a superstar. He is. But I'd say Hayes and co. in the middle are far more important to our side.

Please don't get me wrong. I think he's a brilliant player.

I just feel he's over-rated because he can kick 3 goals and take a few marks leading up the ground and everyone will go on about how he dominated and how he's a superstar and inspirational. When you're the main forward target and the Centre-Half Forward of your side, that's pretty much par for what you should deliver. Jonathon Brown or Lance Franklin can play games where they kick 5 and take heaps of marks and nobody shifts an eyebrow.

As for the B&F's, half of his were robbed from other players. Montagna for instance in 2007 was our best player all season. He's a favourite son to the point where our awards are biased in his favour.

saint vince
Club Player

James wrote:Wow, I say one thing about Nick Riewoldt that isn't "OMG HE'S THE GREATEST EVER" and everyone shoots me down.

I said he's a superstar. He is. But I'd say Hayes and co. in the middle are far more important to our side.

I just feel he's over-rated because he can kick 3 goals and take a few marks leading up the ground and everyone will go on about how he dominated and how he's a superstar and inspirational. When you're the main forward target and the Centre-Half Forward of your side, that's pretty much par for what you should deliver. Jonathon Brown or Lance Franklin can play games where they kick 5 and take heaps of marks and nobody shifts an eyebrow.

As for the B&F's, half of his were robbed from other players. Montagna for instance in 2007 was our best player all season. He's a favourite son to the point where our awards are biased in his favour.
You are a flog of the highest order.

saintly_safes
Club Player

James wrote:Wow, I say one thing about Nick Riewoldt that isn't "OMG HE'S THE GREATEST EVER" and everyone shoots me down.

You obviously dont understand what it takes to present & present & keep presenting for 4 quarters of afl footy.I think you are entitled to your opinion but imo you dont know s*** from clay
Last edited by saintly_safes on Wed 10 Jun 2009 9:02pm, edited 1 time in total.

doristhesaint
Club Player

I do feel sorry for you James!

I feel sorry that you have no idea about this great game :oops:

Legendary
Club Player

James wrote:I just feel he's over-rated because he can kick 3 goals and take a few marks leading up the ground and everyone will go on about how he dominated and how he's a superstar and inspirational. .
Ever played footy and tried to kick 3 goals and take a few marks leading up the ground?

It's bloody hard.

When you do it every single week in the highest competition in the country, you are a star.

Franklin and co might kick 5 one week .. but they kick 2 the next week, and the do not gather the number of disposals or marks or inside 50's that Riewoldt does.

He has kicked 3 or more goals in every game the last six weeks.

James
Club Player

I feel sorry for all the sheep that think Riewoldt is the Jesus of football.

He's pushing All Australian, but Brown has been better and Franklin is neck and neck with him. And that's what I believe.

Now drop it. Quit flaming me. If you disagree, I can accept that, but drop the personal attacks.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

James wrote:I feel sorry for all the sheep that think Riewoldt is the Jesus of football.

He's pushing All Australian, but Brown has been better and Franklin is neck and neck with him. And that's what I believe.

Now drop it. Quit flaming me. If you disagree, I can accept that, but drop the personal attacks.
No personal attack here but surely Rooy is way ahead of Franklin this year and probably ahead of Browny as well and I really rate both those players highly.

doristhesaint
Club Player

James wrote:I feel sorry for all the sheep that think Riewoldt is the Jesus of football.

Roo has taken more marks in the past 6 years weather that be overall,uncontestd or CONTESTED than any other player.
But you call him a lead up player at best. :oops:

saintly_safes
Club Player

If you cant stand the heat dont stand in the fire. Most posters were alot more polite than I expected so imo you got off very lightly :roll:

James
Club Player

Legendary wrote:
James wrote:I just feel he's over-rated because he can kick 3 goals and take a few marks leading up the ground and everyone will go on about how he dominated and how he's a superstar and inspirational. .
Ever played footy and tried to kick 3 goals and take a few marks leading up the ground?

It's bloody hard.

When you do it every single week in the highest competition in the country, you are a star.

He has kicked 3 or more goals in every game the last six weeks.
I understand all of that, and I am in no way undermining that. In fact I believe his consistency is sensational.

But Riewoldt is the focal point on the end of Montagna, Goddard and Dal Santo. A forward's dream.

Nick has the physical fitness, talent and delivery to kick 5 goals every week AND take 10+ marks up the ground. Why isn't he?

Perhaps I am expecting too much.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

James wrote: He's pushing All Australian, but Brown has been better and Franklin is neck and neck with him. And that's what I believe.
Are you talking about this season or last year?

If you're talking about last year then you are comparing a Full-forward (Franklin) with a CHF (Roo)

If you're talking about this season then not even Hawthorn's coaches, IMO, would tell you that Buddy has had a good year whereas Roo has been universally considered by the Coaches of the teams we've played to be a star. You only need to check out the Coaches votes and it will rank the 3 players for you.