Team against Richmond

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

James
Club Player

Team against Richmond

B: Dempster - Hudghton - Blake
HB: Gram - Fisher - Gilbert
C: Goddard - Ball - Dal Santo
HF: Hayes - Koschitzke - Riewoldt
F: Schneider - Dawson - Milne
R: Gardiner - Jones - Montagna
INT: McEvoy - Geary - Ray - McQualter

IN: Dempster
OUT: Baker

:lol:

Brendon Goddard - 2012 Premiership Captain
CaptainRiewoldt
Club Player

whats it gonna take for BLAKE to be dropped?? Losing a game completely off his own bad decisions???

He scored 2 or 3 goals for carlton nearly killed us. Too slow WITH the ball, sure he is fast withiut it but with it OMG.

OUT: Blake, Geary
IN: Maguire, Gwilt

James
Club Player

CaptainReiwoldt wrote:whats it gonna take for BLAKE to be dropped?? Losing a game completely off his own bad decisions???

He scored 2 or 3 goals for carlton nearly killed us. Too slow WITH the ball, sure he is fast withiut it but with it OMG.

Regardless of that you pretty much missed the point of the thread.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

This is the mid season break, let's talk about Richmond in about 10 days time.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Nick_Dal_Santo = ChAmPiOn
Club Player

IMO

Out: Blake
In: Maguire

McEvoy may be dropped. We could afford to go in with 1 ruck man against Richmond.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Interesting that the ABC commentators,Parkin and Schwab,thought that the one area StKilda was vulnerable and could be exploited was their lack of pace.....

Are there any players with pace that could come into the side if changes were made......

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Team against Richmond

James wrote:B: Dempster - Hudghton - Blake
HB: Gram - Fisher - Gilbert
C: Goddard - Ball - Dal Santo
HF: Hayes - Koschitzke - Riewoldt
F: Schneider - Dawson - Milne
R: Gardiner - Jones - Montagna
INT: McEvoy - Geary - Ray - McQualter

IN: Dempster
OUT: Baker

:lol:
Lets see Dempster has played less than halfa game with Sandy...

Err no

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:Interesting that the ABC commentators,Parkin and Schwab,thought that the one area StKilda was vulnerable and could be exploited was their lack of pace.....

Are there any players with pace that could come into the side if changes were made......
The ball moves faster than the man. All teams looks low if their ball movement stagnates.

Parkin, as much as I love him, will say anything to discredit a team that beats the baggers...

James
Club Player

Montagna's quick. Milne is lightning when he wants to be. Schneider has shown bursts of pace. Dal Santo is pretty fast. Goddard gets wings when he wants to. Gram is really fast too. Jones was touted as our "pacy" mid. And we recruited Ray mainly because he had pace.

I don't see where this argument comes from - we have a lot of speed in the side - and the gut running to back it up.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Are those who are pushing for Dempster to be brought straight back in related to him, or what? About the only thing in his favour is that Ross seems to have a definite bias towards those he's gotten from Sydney.
I was pretty disappointed that Gwilt was dropped, although I hoped that meant that we'd try Sam Fisher, or Gilbert across half forward. But to have none of them playing there last night was ridiculous. We had about the shortest half forward line in history. Playing Fisher on the wing seemed pointless. We ought to go for the jugular and try him across half forward, like Carlton did with O'Hailpin last night. He did really well there and Fisher has more ability than him. So does Gilbert.
If we refuse to move one of those bigger guys up there from the backline, we ought to bring Gwilt back in, as he was at least giving us a half decent marking option across half forward. Geary may make way for him, after a couple of quiet weeks in a row.
We're certainly being shown up for overall pace by some of these sides with really quick guys in them, though (ie Essendon, and Carlton last night).

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
thequarry
Club Player

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:I was pretty disappointed that Gwilt was dropped, although I hoped that meant that we'd try Sam Fisher, or Gilbert across half forward. But to have none of them playing there last night was ridiculous. We had about the shortest half forward line in history. Playing Fisher on the wing seemed pointless. We ought to go for the jugular and try him across half forward, like Carlton did with O'Hailpin last night. He did really well there and Fisher has more ability than him. So does Gilbert.
If we refuse to move one of those bigger guys up there from the backline, we ought to bring Gwilt back in, as he was at least giving us a half decent marking option across half forward.
Now, I wasn't able to watch the game last night and I haven't had the chance to watch the replay just yet, but did having Gwilt out of the side mean more attention was able to be put on Kosi, contributing to his quieter game?

Or at least someone playing the designated third-tall(ish) forward role? If so, then maybe something to think about over the break...

rexy
SS Life Member

Out: Blake, Geary
In: Maguire, Eddy

See what happens, Geary is not having much impact and Blake is not as good as Maguire IMO. McEvoy should get all 4 weeks that King is out unless he actually has a poor game, not saying he was really good but I dont think he was poor.

Maybe this year?
saintly
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:Interesting that the ABC commentators,Parkin and Schwab,thought that the one area StKilda was vulnerable and could be exploited was their lack of pace.....

don't agree. saw the game on tv and it was very fast. last year the saint shad a lack of pace not this year anywhere near as much. Though it would be nice to have another small indiginous(spelling wrong) player running through the foward or back line like davey, garlett.

re dempster. Dempster has played one hald of a game with sandy reserves. I doubt he would not be back for a number of weeks.

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

No change.

Team to line up against Richmond will remain the same as the team that played against Carlton barring any injuries that we are unaware of.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

James wrote:Montagna's quick. Milne is lightning when he wants to be. Schneider has shown bursts of pace. Dal Santo is pretty fast. Goddard gets wings when he wants to. Gram is really fast too. Jones was touted as our "pacy" mid. And we recruited Ray mainly because he had pace.

I don't see where this argument comes from - we have a lot of speed in the side - and the gut running to back it up.
did you watch the game? for the third time this year (as well as brissie and essendon) we were put onto the back foot by the pace of the opposition. what do these members of carlton's best last night have in common?

betts
carrazzo
simpson
judd
gibbs
browne

they all have a fair bit of toe, and they used it.

how many of carlton's goals were kicked by midfielders pushing forward or small forwards? betts, garlett, murphy, carazzo, simpson. we went in with a really tall defence and were shown up for pace back there.

that's an issue that the coaching staff will address in the next couple of weeks. why? because stokes, varcoe, chapman, johnson, byrnes, ablett have kicked the majority of geelong's goals between them. that's why.

small defenders are at a premium. baker stays in, but maybe he gets some help from begley or dempster or miles or l fisher, as geary doesn't seem to be much chop in a pure defensive role.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:we went in with a really tall defence and were shown up for pace back there.

that's an issue that the coaching staff will address in the next couple of weeks. why? because stokes, varcoe, chapman, johnson, byrnes, ablett have kicked the majority of geelong's goals between them. that's why.
good point. while our tall defence has a lot going for it (conceding fewer points than any other this season) we ought to be wary of going in too tall.

TassieJones
Club Player

Out: Geary
In: Armitage for balance (VFL form pending), I'd prefer to see Goose come in but we'd be too tall.

Geary's had some great matches this year but he's too young to keep it up and is clearly running out of petrol. Needs a spell in the twos to recuperate and give someone else a go

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

CaptainReiwoldt wrote:whats it gonna take for BLAKE to be dropped?? Losing a game completely off his own bad decisions???

What's it gonna take for some posters to regard Blake as a first 22 regular?Has played every game in the back six of one of the most miserly defences in the history of the game.
Some people are never happy with what they've got. Does there have to be a whipping boy every week.

hAyES
Club Player

I think sooner or later we're going to have to make a decision between Max and Dawson which is unfortunate. Our defense was too tall last night and we barely had any run from our back 6. Either Max or Dawson out and maybe someone like Raph or Dempster in or bring in another midfielder and move Ray to the backline to get some run.

Baker Max Blake
Gilbert Fisher Ray

That back 6 is much more balanced and with a half-back line like that there's much more run. And having Ray in there means we'll actually have someone in our backline that will take a mark.
Last edited by hAyES on Sat 13 Jun 2009 9:15pm, edited 2 times in total.

Snakeman66
Club Player

TassieJones wrote:Out: Geary
In: Armitage for balance (VFL form pending), I'd prefer to see Goose come in but we'd be too tall.

Geary's had some great matches this year but he's too young to keep it up and is clearly running out of petrol. Needs a spell in the twos to recuperate and give someone else a go
What Tassie said.

Don't dwell on the past.
Look to the future.
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

rexy wrote:Out: Blake, Geary
In: Maguire, Eddy

See what happens, Geary is not having much impact and Blake is not as good as Maguire IMO. McEvoy should get all 4 weeks that King is out unless he actually has a poor game, not saying he was really good but I dont think he was poor.
Have you seen Maguire this year? If not, how would you know he is better than Blake?

I've seen Maguire in most of his Sandy games and he is not ready to play senior football for the Saints.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
saintly_safes
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote:This is the mid season break, let's talk about Richmond in about 10 days time.
Well said Bernard .I think we could all do with a week off :)

Rusell Jeffrey #24
Club Player

In: Armitage & Miles

Out: Geary & McEvoy

Time to see if both can cut it with the side on a roll - just in case we experience injuries and forced to test them in a final

Geary still in our best 22 - just needs a rest

Mic Mac toweled by 2 inexperienced ruckman needs more time in the vfl. Blake struggling for a match up with Max back so he becomes the backup ruckman. 7 hit outs - 0% to advantage for Bic Mac - Blake cant do worse.

Miles set for the small lightning quicks.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

That is now 71 posts where you have been wrong. Blake is still in the side and you are still wrong.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

After watching the Tigers v Eagles game last night i would dropp the whole side and replace them with the entire Sandy side. That will give the boys a nice long break and should see us go into the round 14 game against the Cats undefeated.