4 goals from dropped marks

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

older saint
SS Life Member

4 goals from dropped marks

We gave Carlton 4 goals from dropped marks - skill errors.

Gilbert 2 before half time, Gardiner and Geary in the 2nd half.
Cannot afford to do this against Geelong. Take those marks and Carlton lose by 5 goals.

To the top
SS Life Member

Baker diving on the ball and squashed on top of it after a fumble - free kick - goal.

Ball indiscretion - goal.

Both after we had kicked the opening 4 goals of the 3rd quarter to stabilise after Carlton's 2nd quarter run.

The quarter finished 4 goals to 2 - and we absolutely gifted the 2.

So 13 points up instead of 25 points up - and Carlton having kicked the last 2 of the quarter.

We certainly gave Carlton the opportunities.

But, as I have said on another thread on Maguire, Carlton had the spillage pressure opportunists our defence of Max, Dawson, S. Fisher, Blake, Gilbert and Baker could not counteract and that made Carlton feeding off dropped marks more damaging on the scoreboard.

We were relying on the ball being held overhead and not hitting the ground.

Because at ground level we were exposed.

The structure needs to be addressed, an no doubt it will be because S. Fisher and Dawson were FORCED forward by structure issues.

StSteven
Club Player

The last few weeks have shown that teams are playing to our weaknesses and nullifying our strengths. Can't wait to see how we perform against Cats and Dogs to evaluate our finals chances.

Bomber and his mob willl be watching plenty of our videos.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

We were too top heavy down back, considering they only had Fev and O'Hailpin tall forward. This was the opportunity to see how Gilbert or S Fisher would go across half forward, but they didn't take it. They played S Fisher on the wing, which seemed silly to me and he did very little there. He could give us a great marking option across half forward, which we badly need, especially against Geelong. Teams with very fast and nimble little guys (ie Essendon and Carlton) are giving us grief at the moment.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Sainterman
Club Player

Not sure if it cost a goal in the end, but Schneider dropped a pretty easy one forward of the centre that went down the other end pretty quickly too.

emmdee
Club Player

I guess the ball was a little slippery, seemed to me the grass was dewy, even Roo had a few slip thru his hands, i remember mentioning the dropped marks & players slipping during the game, both sides. it was bloody cold at the ground.....

Rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
kaos theory
Club Player

To the top wrote:Baker diving on the ball and squashed on top of it after a fumble - free kick - goal.

Ball indiscretion - goal.

Both after we had kicked the opening 4 goals of the 3rd quarter to stabilise after Carlton's 2nd quarter run.

The quarter finished 4 goals to 2 - and we absolutely gifted the 2.

So 13 points up instead of 25 points up - and Carlton having kicked the last 2 of the quarter.

We certainly gave Carlton the opportunities.

But, as I have said on another thread on Maguire, Carlton had the spillage pressure opportunists our defence of Max, Dawson, S. Fisher, Blake, Gilbert and Baker could not counteract and that made Carlton feeding off dropped marks more damaging on the scoreboard.

We were relying on the ball being held overhead and not hitting the ground.

Because at ground level we were exposed.

The structure needs to be addressed, an no doubt it will be because S. Fisher and Dawson were FORCED forward by structure issues.
I commented before the game tht our defense look at little slow & top heavy, with players maxy, blake & dawson, etc. in the back...

Maybe dempster could add a bit more leg speed if he gets back to good form later in the yr.