"St Kilda's riches may force Maguire to move on"

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

"St Kilda's riches may force Maguire to move on"

St Kilda's riches may force Maguire to move on

Jay Clark | June 25, 2009 12:00am

MATT Maguire may be forced to weigh up his trade options at the end of the season as he remains unable to squeeze into St Kilda's best 22.

The defender is looming large on rival clubs' radars after spending the first half of the season playing in the VFL for Sandringham.

While his form and fitness have been good, Maguire, 25, is a victim of the Saints' injury-free run and much-improved defensive strength.

The popular clubman is stuck on 99 AFL games and is the subject of increasing interest from clubs wanting a quality backman.

Geelong, Sydney and Carlton could all find room for Maguire at the right price.

Negotiations on a new contract with St Kilda are yet to gather steam as the Maguire camp waits to see if he is promoted to the seniors in the run to the finals.

Maguire will be considered this morning when St Kilda's match committee gathers before Sunday's clash against Richmond.

In Maguire's absence, Zac Dawson, 23, has taken his chance and is the preferred key back to partner Sam Fisher.

St Kilda is desperate to keep Maguire as he would be almost assured of senior selection next year if, as expected, veteran full-back Max Hudghton retires.

But Maguire's patience has been tested as he has continued to show good form in the VFL for almost three months.

His uncle, 1989 Brownlow medallist Paul Couch, said the Saints would need Maguire in the finals and would risk losing him to another club if they did not play him this season.

"When it comes to the crunch in finals, you need hard players like him, because you can get found out if you go trying to take the easy way out when things go up a notch," Couch said.

"But you know you will be able to count on a bloke like Matt Maguire because he is fearless and he will be able to do a good job, especially if the opposition play a couple of tall forwards."

Couch said there were some queries about how St Kilda would handle a pair of in-form key forwards in finals.

"I don't think they have been going that well lately, St Kilda. Carlton nearly beat them and I reckon Melbourne would have beat them if they had a couple of decent forwards," he said.

"I reckon they would be silly not to pick him in the second half of the season."

Maguire has fought back from three consecutive career-threatening injuries, which have restricted him to 14 games in nearly three years.

He broke his leg in 2006, suffered stress fractures in his foot in 2007 and broke a different bone in the same foot last year, which ended his season in Round 7.

Maguire's exemplary attitude that has delighted Sandringham chiefs.

"He has really embraced the club and his teammates and been sensational," general manager John Mennie said.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

would be dissapointed if that was Maguires management driving that story with the good ole "uncle" suppport thrown in....St KFC have been pretty loyal in trying times I wouldve thought.......its not unreasonable that its going to be tough to break into a side thats 12-0.

“Yeah….nah””
VietNam_Saint
Club Player

Bring back the Goose !!!

What will be next from this club ?
Saintschampions08
Club Player

Re: "St Kilda's riches may force Maguire to move on&quo

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:"But you know you will be able to count on a bloke like Matt Maguire because he is fearless and he will be able to do a good job, especially if the opposition play a couple of tall forwards."
Yeah, i seem to remember him doing really well last year...and in the games he played in 07... :roll: :roll:

Good form in the VFL for 3months... :roll: :roll:

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Talk about pumping up your own nephew. Maguire doesn't deserve to be picked on reputation - no one does. If he's good enough he will force his way in.

Another opportunity awaits!
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

I still cannot believe he is not in.

One of the best CHB in the league when on fire. Truly damaging.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

He will get in.

He will.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Saintschampions08
Club Player

Spinner wrote:I still cannot believe he is not in.

One of the best CHB in the league when on fire. Truly damaging.
What?

He hasn't been on fire for 3 years...

Not only that, he's played a handful of games and is only now stringing together some games injury free ...

Do you honestly think Geelong will pick Matthew Egan as soon as he's fit next year?

Nattens
Club Player

Think about it guys, Lyon is going to keep him on ice until finals time.

Saintschampions08
Club Player

Nattens wrote:Think about it guys, Lyon is going to keep him on ice until finals time.
Yup, Lyon will definitely pick Maguire for his first AFL game in over a year in a final... :roll:

Nobody's scored 100 points against us this year, and we average over a hundred points...until their is some real deficiencies in our backline (and that doesn't count the Blake/Dawson fabrications you read about on here) i seriously doubt Maguire will force his way in.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:would be dissapointed if that was Maguires management driving that story.
to be fair to goose it is a fairly obvious story for someone to write, so i'm not going to jump to the conclusion that his management is behind it.

his problem is that there are really only a few positions he can play. chf, chb ... perhaps fb or ff. so it is guys like riewoldt, kosi, dawson, blake and max who are keeping him out.

if i was carlton or the bulldogs i'd be beating down his door because he'd walk into chf at either club.

a very strong and courageous key position player who could have been (and could still be) anything but for those horrific injuries.

i wouldn't blame him for trying to further his career elsewhere if he can't break in, but i'd prefer to see him tough it out and get there by dominating in the vfl.

Quixote
SS Life Member

Moccha wrote:Talk about pumping up your own nephew. Maguire doesn't deserve to be picked on reputation - no one does. If he's good enough he will force his way in.

That's about spot on. Paul Couch needs to get a clue - his throw away viewpoints mean nothing to this St Kilda!

I will trust Ross Lyon and Nick Riewoldt thank you very much - Couch can stay on the sidelines.

BTW I'd think the first time P Couch has seen M Maguire play for years was last Sunday, at City Oval, Zebs V Hawks. Was next to us for the entire game. Kicking near our group too. His boys are good footy players... ... but FFS Paul your opinion means nothing to our Club! If you are not involved - just stay on the Couch!!!

Comment for hire = No respect.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

i hope goose distances himself from his uncle's comments as i feel they will not help his cause.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:would be dissapointed if that was Maguires management driving that story with the good ole "uncle" suppport thrown in....St KFC have been pretty loyal in trying times I wouldve thought.......its not unreasonable that its going to be tough to break into a side thats 12-0.
Bingo!!!

Spot on Teflon - it was the first thing that popped into my mind reading that article

Rumors flying around BF already regarding the Blues and Dogs being interested - wouldn't be surprised if someone planted a seed there as well

His management are trying to push the issue but Saints no doubt will get around to Maguire when the time is right

I would be very surprised if Matt would want to leave the Saints given the loyalty they have shown him - his management on the other no doubt are only interested in their percentage cut

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
markinUSA
SS Life Member

Just on the comments by his uncle: if someone came up to me and asked me what my nephew was like, I'd tell them he was a great footballer, a terrific bloke, an asset to the planet, and every other compliment I could throw his way. Family comes first.

So you can hardly blame the uncle...

(On the other hand, my nephews get embarrassed when I talk that way about them).

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:
Teflon wrote:would be dissapointed if that was Maguires management driving that story with the good ole "uncle" suppport thrown in....St KFC have been pretty loyal in trying times I wouldve thought.......its not unreasonable that its going to be tough to break into a side thats 12-0.
Bingo!!!

Spot on Teflon - it was the first thing that popped into my mind reading that article

Rumors flying around BF already regarding the Blues and Dogs being interested - wouldn't be surprised if someone planted a seed there as well

His management are trying to push the issue but Saints no doubt will get around to Maguire when the time is right

I would be very surprised if Matt would want to leave the Saints given the loyalty they have shown him - his management on the other no doubt are only interested in their percentage cut
What is wrong if his management have brought this up. That is what they get paid for. To get a good deal for their client and if that means putting pressure on the club so be it. The club though should and wouldnt feel any pressure because Goose's form oviously doesnt warrant a game and if he needs to move on at the end of the year, so be it. Afterall it is a business these days.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

it could even sound like a bit of blackmail.

put him into the seniors or bye bye!

saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

Ive dreamt of the day that puts us in this situation, its all good :)

Before Im 85
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Re: "St Kilda's riches may force Maguire to move on&quo

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:Geelong, Sydney and Carlton could all find room for Maguire at the right price.
Sydney yes - because of retirements but HTF would Geelong and mores to the point CARLTON fit him in under the SC?

Surely we could match the champion Geelong team under SC pressure and the cheating big spending SC cheats Carlton?

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
older saint
SS Life Member

Devilhead wrote:
Bingo!!!

You may end up being very surprised then, the same way we were all surprised Joel Smith took the money and ran after 1997.
Maguire management has pushed this, no doubt , that is what they do. Bottom line is he is a chance this week if they go with the mobile ruck option instead of McEvoy.
If they are thinking trade look for him to get games towards seasons end to push up his value for a potential early Round 2 pick or fringe running back pocket/half back type.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: "St Kilda's riches may force Maguire to move on&

joffaboy wrote:
ohwhenthesaints! wrote:Geelong, Sydney and Carlton could all find room for Maguire at the right price.
Sydney yes - because of retirements but HTF would Geelong and mores to the point CARLTON fit him in under the SC?

Surely we could match the champion Geelong team under SC pressure and the cheating big spending SC cheats Carlton?
Salary Cap may be the reason Goose does go. Lets face it we are going to be under severe Salary cap pressure at the end of the year and for all those who play dreamteam there is no point having a $300,000 player as a reserve. Like you though there is no way carlton or geelong will be going after him. Sydney is a very good fit especially with O'Loughlin gone.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Piss off Couch...go back and sit on your own name. The forumites of Saintsational decide who gets a spot in the team each week, not you.

ace
Saintsational Legend

My preferred back six consists of

Ray, Hudghton, Dawson
S. Fisher, Maguire, Gilbert

With Blake, Baker, Dempster, R. Clarke as backup.
And that is damn good backup.

Blake to selected on interchange due his versatiity and Baker to be brought into the team as an interchange when the team needs an additional tagger.
Goddard and Gram play forward, midfield or wing as required.

Sam Fisher is a great defender who can play centre half back against most teams but it scares me when he is one out against a genuine tall power forward.
That is when Maguire's superiority overhead and judgement of the flight of the ball become valuable.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Sadly, I reckon there's more than a thread of truthful possibility in the story. There's simply no space for him in our current back six, he's a bloke who probably rates himself as a starting 22 player, and plenty of other lists would go gaga at the rpspect of a big, strong, competitive KP backman who may even evolve into a forward. Put all that together and I can totally understand why he might be thinking 'geez I'm just never gonna get a crack here.' For how long can you sit in the stands 'hoping' one of your mates does a knee or an ankle or a shoulder so you get a chance? Can't be healthy...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:My preferred back six consists of

Ray, Hudghton, Dawson
S. Fisher, Maguire, Gilbert

With Blake, Baker, Dempster, R. Clarke as backup.
And that is damn good backup.

Blake to selected on interchange due his versatiity and Baker to be brought into the team as an interchange when the team needs an additional tagger.
Goddard and Gram play forward, midfield or wing as required.

Sam Fisher is a great defender who can play centre half back against most teams but it scares me when he is one out against a genuine tall power forward.
That is when Maguire's superiority overhead and judgement of the flight of the ball become valuable.
Just on Sam Fisher. Isnt Browny just about the biggest power forwrd in the AFL? Well Chips kept him to 4 kicks and beat him on many one on one contests when we played Brisbane so I think he can play on power forwards when he has to. On Blake being on the bench that will not happen unless he is the second ruckman as you couldnt use 2 of the bench spots for Blake and the resting ruckman.