assistance please

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Gershwin
Club Player

assistance please

I’m doing a guest spot on a community radio show in NSW previewing the St Kilda v Geelong game and I’m trying to accurately remember the incidents which have led to a rivalry between the clubs this decade.
Did it start with GT’s comment after we lost to Geelong that we had the better players and when was the incident when Harvey got cleaned up by Hocking when not involved in the play. What else happened that stirred up the ill -feeling?

thanks,

summertime and the living is easy ........
kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

I think the GT comment was about Richmond. He was right.

The rivalry built up from memory over 2003 - 2005. All they hype was about us. Chapman claimed Geelong was just as good. He was wrong at the time.

We smashed them in the Wizard Cup final in '04 and repeated the dose in round 1. In the final, Guerra cleaned up Ling and got four weeks.

In the round 1 game, Scarlett took out Riewoldt behind play and had no case to answer.

Not sure when the Harvey - Whiskas incident was, around 2000 maybe.

Also should mention the 1992 final where we had to play Geelong in the first final. Gary Ablett senior took out Nathan Burke and David Grant. Locket and Brownless both kicked bags and we lost by about 7 points in one of the great games of the '90s.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

Bomber always commented about our draft picks and players from other clubs

Before Im 85
i_luv_nick_riewoldt
SS Life Member

re watch the nab cup 2004!! With lingy getting bowled over!!!

Go saints in '09!
gooner
Club Player

i_luv_nick_riewoldt wrote:re watch the nab cup 2004!! With lingy getting bowled over!!!
I believe the quote was
"You got what you deserved you Ginger c**t" :D

"The humble improve" Wynton Marsalis
IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

kosifantutti23 wrote:The rivalry built up from memory over 2003 - 2005. All they hype was about us. Chapman claimed Geelong was just as good. He was wrong at the time.

We smashed them in the Wizard Cup final in '04 and repeated the dose in round 1. In the final, Guerra cleaned up Ling and got four weeks.
I believe Chapman and a few others maybe Bomber? had a go at Hamill calling him a sniper claiming he targeted players at centre bounces running in from the square. Then at the opening bounce Hamill doesn't move and Guerra comes steaming in and cleaned up Ling. Gold!! (almost worth it to hear Powells comments to Ling on the TV through the umps mike)

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

gooner wrote:
i_luv_nick_riewoldt wrote:re watch the nab cup 2004!! With lingy getting bowled over!!!
I believe the quote was
Best nic I heard him called from the outer was "Hollywood", clearly a reference to his striking good looks.

Loved it.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

providing fodder for the journos again
here you go gershwin
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/ ... 42,00.html
Bad blood between Cats and Saints
Jon Anderson | June 29, 2009 12:00am

AN intense rivalry bordering on hatred will add fuel to Sunday's showdown at Etihad Stadium. Former St Kilda assistant coach Mick McGuane said during his time with the Saints in 2006 there was definite hatred felt towards Geelong.

And bitterness was evident after the siren in last year's 1st Qualifying Final at the MCG, when retiring St Kilda champion Robert Harvey reacted savagely to taunts from Geelong's Matthew Scarlett.

"People get surprised when I say there was a hatred towards Geelong when I was there but it existed and still would to some degree," said McGuane.

"Both teams wanted top billing as the better group.

"It stemmed from the media focus on the two groups and whether St Kilda had under-achieved given their number of high quality draft picks.

"They wanted to change that perception but at that stage weren't capable of doing it. Now they have the hard bodies, but are they big and strong enough to cope with Geelong?

"They weren't when it mattered in last year's final and that would have hurt them considerably."

The first sign of any feeling out of the ordinary between the teams was in 2003-2004 when Mark Thompson and then St Kilda coach Grant Thomas publicly debated the abilities of their respective teams.

Geelong straight-shooter Paul Chapman weighed in with his own typically upfront assessment and the feeling flowed on-field. McGuane said it was more obvious than most rivalries.

"It's fair to say Essendon and Hawthorn had healthy hatreds for each other in the mid-1980s, but they played in three straight Grand Finals," he said.

"Until now the Geelong-St Kilda debate has been a non-issue because the Cats have been so dominant for 2 1/2 years.

"No doubt St Kilda has closed the gap but to my mind, not enough.

"Geelong bats deeper and has better small forwards in Johnson, Chapman, Byrnes and Varcoe. But I wouldn't miss the game for anything.

"Just to see how Geelong copes with St Kilda's ability to dry up possession inside 50m will be worth going."

Charlie Gardiner played with both St Kilda and Geelong in the past two years (Gardiner played 51 games at Geelong between 2002-2007 and 12 at St Kilda in 2008).

He admits there certainly was a competitive edge between the teams but doesn't believe that will play a part in Geelong's preparation.

"The Cats just love the challenge, anyone, anywhere, anytime – they get themselves up," said Gardiner who these days is combining law studies with VAFA football for Old Melburnians.

"Didn't Chappy (Paul Chapman) say something then Bomber (Thompson) said our kids were better? That was a fair while ago. Right now you could say the Saints are a bit like the Cats in 2007.

"They are on the same page and working as a team. And they seem to take real pride in the defensive part of their game.

"I think after the Geelong and Hawthorn finals last year they realised they had potential but were still a fair way off so they turned over a few players.

"I was one of them but from my season there I really enjoyed Ross Lyon and thought he was on the right track.

"So I'm not surprised at how they are going and obviously injury management has been a big part of their success to date.

"They seem really fit and when you look at a player like Justin Koschitzke you can see what a difference it makes."

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
ace
Saintsational Legend

AND I commented back in 1992 that people from Geelong spell backwards.

Their GOD was actually a DOG.

I would like to take this opportunity to apologise for that comment.

No dog has ever deserved to be compared to Gary Ablett Snr.
Last edited by ace on Mon 29 Jun 2009 11:52pm, edited 1 time in total.

walski
Club Player

Opps someone already posted it ;)

Please carry on......

Grimfang
Club Player

kosifantutti23 wrote:
Not sure when the Harvey - Whiskas incident was, around 2000 maybe.
1999. I remember it because we played Hawthorn a little later on. The game where we were up by a long way at 1/2 time and then lost thanks to some brilliant coaching moves from Timid Timmy. (Team is playing great? Let's make ridiculous changes. We'll play even better! Only good thing about the Watson era was the draft picks.)

Some Hawthorn tossbag (whose brains were made of the same matter that the jumper colours represent) was bagging Robert Harvey as soft over that incident. Would love to have given him the same as what Banger copped and see how he pulled up.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons; for you are a quick and tasty morsel.
i_luv_nick_riewoldt
SS Life Member

gooner wrote:
I believe the quote was
... now i need to find the clip to watch it again.. brings a smile to my face everytime!

Go saints in '09!
VietNam_Saint
Club Player

And just what did Scarlett say to Sir Robert ? was it ever made public ?

What will be next from this club ?
saintly
Saintsational Legend

VietNam_Saint wrote:And just what did Scarlett say to Sir Robert ? was it ever made public ?
no it was not made public. there were rumours of what was said but it was just speculation by the media.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

The Perfect Day.

we win the biggy
someone walks up to scarlett and says
"banger says hi....how are ya?".......
then walks off to collect a medal and norm smith

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Bomber's jibes about St Kilda's recruiting strategies:

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/g ... 35270.html

And the Chappy comments from earlier in the decade:

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

gooner wrote:
I believe the quote was
I remember the quote was "You got what you f****** asked for"

Uttered by one Stevie Powell in reference to Geelong saying we were hard at the man and not the ball

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:
VietNam_Saint wrote:And just what did Scarlett say to Sir Robert ? was it ever made public ?
no it was not made public. there were rumours of what was said but it was just speculation by the media.
supposedly something along the lines of: "you'll never see a premiership. you're too old and slow"