Sending injured players back out when unnecessary is CRAZY

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

Sending injured players back out when unnecessary is CRAZY

When we played Melbourne at Carrara and Gilbert hobbled off I was obviously fearing the worst but hoped he may be ok and would be put in cotton wool for the rest of the game. With the game fully in control in the last quarter, I was totally bewildered to see him come back out especially considering that Injuries have been our nemesis in recent years why would you?

The game was over we had nothing to gain even if he was ok. But as it turned out he wasn’t ok and had to miss a week. Did coming back out make it worse to miss that week? We don’t know. It was a mistake and they should have learnt from it.

But obviously they didn’t. Max went down with what looked very concerning and maybe career ending. Later in the match when we again had full control and running all over Richmond out comes Max.

Now common sense would say to me that even if he was ok, at his age with how fragile his body has been don’t take any chances, ice it and let's hope its ok the guys are on top of them out there anyway. But they’ve let him back on to play out the game with an Injury that’s serious enough to now sideline him.

What the F### is going on? The coaching staff are doing fantastic strategical stuff but this is a basic no brainer. If a player comes off with an Ankle or Knee Injury Ice it straight away and don’t risk and allow them to take any further part again unless it’s really necessary. Both games were as good as finished now who knows how long Max is out for and how much more damage was done and could have been done after going back out?

amusingname
Club Player

Having had way to many sprained ankles in my life, I can testify that whilst it is bloody painful, there is little risk of making the injury worse by continuing to play and run on it. Once the ankle is sprained, it is highly unlikely that further damage will be done and it does not really blow up until the injury gets cold.

I do agree that when it comes to soft tissue injuries like calf and hamstring twinges, caution should be exercised always.

markinUSA
SS Life Member

Also, it wouldn't be a coach's decision. It would be 100% medical staff, in conjunction with the player. Often players say they are fine, and medical people often listen to the player - assuming that the player would both be honest and have a better (closer) assessment of their own pain level.

It's really bad when a player indicates a problem (eg Cousins earlier this year) and the medical people DON"T listen and then the player is right!

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
snoopygirl
SS Life Member

I remember reading somewhere that in the opinion of the medical staff there was no risk of doing more damage to his ankle.

thirty-seven!?
Club Player

Ross Lyon had them both in his Dream Team... Simple :wink:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I'll will back our doctors know more than our suppoters when these players return to the ground.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

amusingname wrote:... there is little risk of making the injury worse by continuing to play and run on it. Once the ankle is sprained, it is highly unlikely that further damage will be done and it does not really blow up until the injury gets cold...
Not true. Depending on which ligament has been strained, serious further rupture can occur with a return to the field. Only if the strain is minor and is well strapped should players go back onto the field (or if the team has run out of players).

Considering Max is not playing this week, the strain could not be described as minor unless he made it worse by returning to the field. It seemed that David Misson ruled him out after a brief run around following the half time break and he went to the bench. I was most surprised to see Max return to the field during the third quarter but he didn't last long.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

i tore the lot off the ankle bone many a year ago.
twice as worse as braking the bone they said.

explained the f****** pain and explains why it rolls now buy itself on flat ground and leaves me rolling around like a twit feeling like im gonna pass out.
i can see why max was in so much pain.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

My guess would be to get the rotations through all the other players. Less game time for everyone else, less tired, less potential injuries. Something like that.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
Winmar7Fan
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:I'll will back our doctors know more than our suppoters when these players return to the ground.
How can you say that? BOTH of them have been sidelined .

So you think If the doctors knew it was bad enough to spend games out injured they still would have allowed them out when the games were over anyway?

Yeah makes perfect sense to me.

GrumpyOne

matrixcutter wrote:i tore the lot off the ankle bone many a year ago.

explained the f****** pain and explains why it rolls now buy itself on flat ground and leaves me rolling around like a twit feeling like im gonna pass out.
Done that too Mat.

Bloody thing never recovers either. The slightest uneven ground or false step on that foot and you are down and rolling around again. :roll:

Been over 40 years now, still happens. :x

matrix
Saintsational Legend

bad huh
constantly wear an elastic kinda brace on it just to make myself feel better.
such a small joint/area to do such a lot of work.
nothing like rolling it outwards and feeling the ball of the ankle bone actually hit the ground.
<<shudders

maverick
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:

Done that too Mat.

Bloody thing never recovers either. The slightest uneven ground or false step on that foot and you are down and rolling around again. :roll:

Been 20 years for me now, both ankles as well...its a curse....

matrix
Saintsational Legend

oooooo
nasty :(

noblejohn
Club Player

maverick wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:

Done that too Mat.

Did mine about 5 years ago, blew up like a bowling ball and about as black. And the pain was indescribable. Stand on anything bigger than an ant and over you go. Still its a good party trick to be able to roll/turn your foot inwards 90 degrees, to be able to stand upright and see the sole of your foot :shock:

The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long
maverick
Saintsational Legend

OK we all have to stop now, its like running fingernails down a blackboard to me :shock:

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Sending injured players back out when unnecessary is CRA

Winmar7Fan wrote:When we played Melbourne at Carrara and Gilbert hobbled off I was obviously fearing the worst but hoped he may be ok and would be put in cotton wool for the rest of the game. With the game fully in control in the last quarter, I was totally bewildered to see him come back out especially considering that Injuries have been our nemesis in recent years why would you?

The game was over we had nothing to gain even if he was ok. But as it turned out he wasn’t ok and had to miss a week. Did coming back out make it worse to miss that week? We don’t know. It was a mistake and they should have learnt from it.

But obviously they didn’t. Max went down with what looked very concerning and maybe career ending. Later in the match when we again had full control and running all over Richmond out comes Max.

Now common sense would say to me that even if he was ok, at his age with how fragile his body has been don’t take any chances, ice it and let's hope its ok the guys are on top of them out there anyway. But they’ve let him back on to play out the game with an Injury that’s serious enough to now sideline him.

What the F### is going on? The coaching staff are doing fantastic strategical stuff but this is a basic no brainer. If a player comes off with an Ankle or Knee Injury Ice it straight away and don’t risk and allow them to take any further part again unless it’s really necessary. Both games were as good as finished now who knows how long Max is out for and how much more damage was done and could have been done after going back out?
That is carp. We currently have the most conservative medical staff that we have experienced. Nine times out of 10, the players are being told that if they have so much as a twinge, even during training, that they are to come off the field. If the medical staff cleared both Gilbert and Max on the day, then at that point, they were right to play.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
noblejohn
Club Player

Sorry about that. I thought i was on my own with that problem.
PS you should try playing squash with a dodgy ankle :lol:

The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long
maverick
Saintsational Legend

noblejohn wrote:Sorry about that. I thought i was on my own with that problem.
PS you should try playing squash with a dodgy ankle :lol:
Gave up a few years ago, it took me 20 minutes to put two lace up braces on....

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Winmar7Fan wrote:
plugger66 wrote:I'll will back our doctors know more than our suppoters when these players return to the ground.

So you think If the doctors knew it was bad enough to spend games out injured they still would have allowed them out when the games were over anyway?

He can say it because our medical staff are experts in the field of sports injuries..and we are a bunch of nuffie footy fans who know nothing in comparison :-)

Unless you are similarly qualified and experienced in sporting injuries, commenting like you do is a bit silly dont you think?

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote: we are a bunch of nuffie footy fans who know nothing
Speak for yourself .......

and perhaps *** others on this forum :roll: :wink: !!

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

saint66au wrote:
Winmar7Fan wrote:

He can say it because our medical staff are experts in the field of sports injuries..and we are a bunch of nuffie footy fans who know nothing in comparison :-)

Unless you are similarly qualified and experienced in sporting injuries, commenting like you do is a bit silly dont you think?[/quote]

Not at all it's very black and white to me.

2 good important players go off Injured. They come back on when the game was over and they didn't need to. Then the next week they're out because the injuries were serious enough to be side lined.

Let's just forget these meds are such experts there not human enough to make a wrong call.

Do you not see it as common sense to have not let Gilbert or Max back out now he's out missing matches from it?

I'm sure those meds said at the time " we're 6 goals up running all over them and your going to miss a couple of weeks from this but we'll strap you up and send you back out there anyway".

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Winmar7Fan wrote:
saint66au wrote:
Winmar7Fan wrote:

Unless you are similarly qualified and experienced in sporting injuries, commenting like you do is a bit silly dont you think?[/quote]

2 good important players go off Injured. They come back on when the game was over and they didn't need to. Then the next week they're out because the injuries were serious enough to be side lined.

Let's just forget these meds are such experts there not human enough to make a wrong call.

Do you not see it as common sense to have not let Gilbert or Max back out now he's out missing matches from it?

I'm sure those meds said at the time " we're 6 goals up running all over them and your going to miss a couple of weeks from this but we'll strap you up and send you back out there anyway".
I'm amazed.
We've finally got a medical/fitness regime at the Club that has allowed us to have an unbelievable run with injuries, comething we've had a debacle with over the last 5 years and you're complaining that these people apparently have no idea what they're doing?

Are you so bored with winning that you are looking to create something to bitch about?

No msdico/fitness guy would deliberately send a player out if they thought that player's injury would get worse by doing that. Yes it's possible for them to mis-diagnose an injury, but given their track record of the last 3 -6 months I'm prepared to take their opinion over someone's who wasn't there, didn't actually see the player in the flesh, but who is prepared to 'second-guess' the diagnosis/opinion of those who were on the spot.

BTW, what qualifications do you have to offer an opinion on these matters other than being a fan watching it on tv, or maybe at the actual game?

I'm really hoping that you are at least a physio with some experience in these type of injuries.
Even if you are, how on earth can your diagnosis/opinion be more valid than those working at the Club who were actually there to assess the injuries on the spot?

kp83
Club Player

Well said, seems like a lot of supporters on here think they have more medical know-how than our actual docs and physios.

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote:
Winmar7Fan wrote:
saint66au wrote:
Winmar7Fan wrote:

I'm amazed.
We've finally got a medical/fitness regime at the Club that has allowed us to have an unbelievable run with injuries, comething we've had a debacle with over the last 5 years and you're complaining that these people apparently have no idea what they're doing?

Are you so bored with winning that you are looking to create something to bitch about?

No msdico/fitness guy would deliberately send a player out if they thought that player's injury would get worse by doing that. Yes it's possible for them to mis-diagnose an injury, but given their track record of the last 3 -6 months I'm prepared to take their opinion over someone's who wasn't there, didn't actually see the player in the flesh, but who is prepared to 'second-guess' the diagnosis/opinion of those who were on the spot.

BTW, what qualifications do you have to offer an opinion on these matters other than being a fan watching it on tv, or maybe at the actual game?

I'm really hoping that you are at least a physio with some experience in these type of injuries.Even if you are, how on earth can your diagnosis/opinion be more valid than those working at the Club who were actually there to assess the injuries on the spot?
No I'm not I'm just someone with some common sense.

Yes I'm more than happy with the way we are going with Injuries generally as our performance and everything else but I can't believe how blindly bias some of you have become.

This is very simple and bare in mind I couldn't give a F### about how qualified these Meds are I'll ask you this simple question a six year old could answer.

Now Max is out for how ever long do you think it was a good move to send him back out to play with this injury that's side lined him?

Especially when we had full control of the match.

Or do you need a 10 year degree in physio to be qualified to answer that one?