Free kick against Milne??????????????????????

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Free kick against Milne??????????????????????

Can someone, anyone explain to me WT* that free kick was paid for?

I know Milne is one of the most hated players in the AFL by opposition fans and now I'm left with the feeling perhaps the umpire ( Roseberry ? ) is no different and has a similar prejudice against Milne!

Can someone please explain which rule was adjudicated and explain exactly why this free kick was paid?

plugger66, you want to go first? :roll:

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
suss
Club Player

If you're referring to the one in the last quater, it was for dragging down the Geelong player. It was probably the biggest howler of the day.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

and whilst they are at it - why he wasn't given a free for being legged in the first quarter

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Free kick against Milne??????????????????????

barks4eva wrote:Can someone, anyone explain to me WT* that free kick was paid for?

I know Milne is one of the most hated players in the AFL by opposition fans and now I'm left with the feeling perhaps the umpire ( Roseberry ? ) is no different and has a similar prejudice against Milne!

Can someone please explain which rule was adjudicated and explain exactly why this free kick was paid?

Thanks for the chance. I am glad to rate my opinion so highly. It was paid because the umpire thought Milne grabbed his arm and swung him around but on the replay it doesnt really show that. i would think it was the wrong decision.
Last edited by plugger66 on Mon 06 Jul 2009 5:12pm, edited 1 time in total.

Superboot
SS Life Member

B4E

You've been watching the game long enough to know that a player must be deemed to have committed an offence when tackled and thrown to the ground when not in possession of the ball.

Under such circumstances, the free kick must be paid to the tackler.

Sainterman
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
barks4eva wrote:Can someone, anyone explain to me WT* that free kick was paid for?

Thanks for the chance. i am gald to rate my opinion so highly. It was paid because the umpire thought Milne grabbed his arm and swung him around but on the replay it doesnt really show that. i would think it was the wrong decision.
Warms the heart to see you saying an umpire made a mistake plugger...really does. :)

I guess we are all human and mistakes happen. We have the 4 points so alls well that ends well.

GrumpyOne

It looked a pretty dreadful decision to me on the TV, and couldn't pick up the miked umpire's comments. (Often a source of enlightenment :wink: )

There were some suss one's going the other way too.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Sainterman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Thanks for the chance. i am gald to rate my opinion so highly. It was paid because the umpire thought Milne grabbed his arm and swung him around but on the replay it doesnt really show that. i would think it was the wrong decision.
Warms the heart to see you saying an umpire made a mistake plugger...really does. :)

I guess we are all human and mistakes happen. We have the 4 points so alls well that ends well.
They make many mistakes as do players. i have never said otherwise. All I say is they never deliberately favour sides because it is an illogical argument.

Selhurst Saint
Club Player

The umpire motioned that Milne swung his elbow back at the Geelong pr1ck.

I was on the other side of the ground so I can't shed any light other than that.

"...If there has been one recurring theme through this whole shocking mess, it has been the misguided, inflated egos and their ill-judged determination to cling to long-standing old boy friendships. The bad advice that has guided the selfish and culpable James Hird has not only punctuated this saga but symbolised it..."
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

It was a dreadful decision that could have cost us a goal.

Vosso was the umpire and it was dreadful, truly dreadful.

Really Vosso should be dropped and so should that little Chamberlain for the terrible advantage for the Cats.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

On the replay I see two actions. First, Kelly grabbed Milne and then Milne locked onto Kelly's arm. Alas, the umpire only saw the second action. It was not dissimilar to one earlier in the day when Kosi dropped a mark and then went to tackle Scarlett before he'd taken possession of the ball. Scarlett grabbed Kosi's arm to make it look like his opponent has grabbed him, something he does a lot (like in the last quarter).

We can get better in these circumstances making sure that we don't give even 25% of a free, in case it is paid.

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

can't help but think if we DID lose then the media would be saying we got a raw deal with the umps. They will always try to be negative when possible, i cannot understand this.

GrumpyOne

joffaboy wrote:It was a dreadful decision that could have cost us a goal.

Vosso was the umpire and it was dreadful, truly dreadful.

Really Vosso should be dropped and so should that little Chamberlain for the terrible advantage for the Cats.

Mate..... if we dropped umpires every time they made a mistake, we'll be down to you, me and Stinger taking the field. Don't know about you guys, but I doubt if I could keep up with the play.

Maybe Tom Cruise would be available.... he moved pretty fast on the last Mission Impossible movie, but it would be hard to keep torturing his girlfriend every week to get that outcome. :wink:

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Superboot wrote:B4E

You've been watching the game long enough to know that a player must be deemed to have committed an offence when tackled and thrown to the ground when not in possession of the ball.

Under such circumstances, the free kick must be paid to the tackler.

Perhaps if tackled, your name is Stephen Milne and you have not yet taken possession of the ball, then apparently some umpires might deem this to be so.

An absolutely staggering decision!

Not too mention Kossie being absolutely manhandled in the last quarter in a marking contest, as obvious as they come, yet no free kick was paid.

AND I won't even bother mentioning how many times Geelong when tackled fed off the ball with NRL rubgy passes :roll:

and the rest etc...etc...

and Scarlett the filthy lowlife scum dog arsehole whinges about an umpiring decision,

anyway back on topic,

Is it possible that the umpire in question is actually a Milne hater and paid the free against him in a deliberate act to penalize him?

I have seen some weird decisions before and this one is right up there!

James
Club Player

GrumpyOne wrote:It looked a pretty dreadful decision to me on the TV, and couldn't pick up the miked umpire's comments. (Often a source of enlightenment :wink: )

"No Steven, that's not yours Steven, don't act dumb..." or some crap like that.

Obviously Milney has to know that he can't be infringed upon by Geelong players. He knows it's an unwritten rule of the game.

Brendon Goddard - 2012 Premiership Captain
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

#1GILL wrote:can't help but think if we DID lose then the media would be saying we got a raw deal with the umps. They will always try to be negative when possible, i cannot understand this.
Same mindset as some on this site who can only see the game through eye. They have to have something to complain about.

Sainterman
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Sainterman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

They make many mistakes as do players. i have never said otherwise. All I say is they never deliberately favour sides because it is an illogical argument.
I would tend to agree, although I do think they can get a little swept up by the crowd at times, and in the emotion of some games.

The only time I have ever felt like things had been deliberate was the "Whispers In The Sky" game....but thats a whole other story!

Sainterman
Club Player

Selhurst Saint wrote:The umpire motioned that Milne swung his elbow back at the Geelong pr1ck.

I was on the other side of the ground so I can't shed any light other than that.
The umpie clearly made a motion that suggested Milne had slung the Geelong player to the ground. I guess that's how he saw it. Didnt look like that when watching live, and certainly didnt appear that way on the replay either. Just a mistake I think....

GrumpyOne

James wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:It looked a pretty dreadful decision to me on the TV, and couldn't pick up the miked umpire's comments. (Often a source of enlightenment :wink: )

"No Steven, that's not yours Steven, don't act dumb..." or some crap like that.

Obviously Milney has to know that he can't be infringed upon by Geelong players. He knows it's an unwritten rule of the game.
Thanks..... couldn't hear it above the foul language....... mine. :oops:

James
Club Player

Sainterman wrote:
Selhurst Saint wrote:The umpire motioned that Milne swung his elbow back at the Geelong pr1ck.

The umpie clearly made a motion that suggested Milne had slung the Geelong player to the ground. I guess that's how he saw it. Didnt look like that when watching live, and certainly didnt appear that way on the replay either. Just a mistake I think....
Perhaps the Geelong player shouldn't be riding him into the ground then.

Brendon Goddard - 2012 Premiership Captain
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

James wrote:
Sainterman wrote:

Perhaps the Geelong player shouldn't be riding him into the ground then.
Perhaps Vozzo is a Milne hater and he deemed that riding Milne into the ground without him having taken possession of the ball was indeed worthy of a free kick to the Geelong player.

battye
Saintsational Legend

suss wrote:If you're referring to the one in the last quater, it was for dragging down the Geelong player. It was probably the biggest howler of the day.
So that's what it was for :lol:
It's taken nearly 24 hours for me to find that out :lol:

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
stinger
Saintsational Legend

spot on...it was 'cause i don't like you rule and because i can..... :twisted:
Last edited by stinger on Mon 06 Jul 2009 5:56pm, edited 1 time in total.

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

perfectionist wrote:On the replay I see two actions. First, Kelly grabbed Milne and then Milne locked onto Kelly's arm. Alas, the umpire only saw the second action. It was not dissimilar to one earlier in the day when Kosi dropped a mark and then went to tackle Scarlett before he'd taken possession of the ball. Scarlett grabbed Kosi's arm to make it look like his opponent has grabbed him, something he does a lot (like in the last quarter).
This is exactly how i saw it. I thought it was a massive gamble from Milne, who could have very easily recieved a free if the ump was in a different position, but took the gamble and got busted.

Exactly the same as Kosi's in the first quarter...

stinger
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Thanks for the chance. I am glad to rate my opinion so highly. It was paid because the umpire thought Milne grabbed his arm and swung him around but on the replay it doesnt really show that. i would think it was the wrong decision.

an umpire give a wrong decision......?........never.... :roll: :roll:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.