Experts say 25 zip is within reach

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainterone
Club Player

Experts say 25 zip is within reach

From the Herald-Sun

THE AFL'S coaching legends believe St Kilda is within reach of the first perfect season in league history.

The Saints' amazing win over Geelong has raised the possibility they could go through the year unbeaten, despite a challenging draw ahead.

They face games against the Bulldogs, Essendon and Adelaide, then finish the year against strugglers North Melbourne and the Demons.

TAB Sportsbet has them at $5.90 to win their last eight games and eclipse Essendon, which lost only one match in 2000 before winning the flag.

Collingwood won all 18 home-and-away games in 1929 but lost a final, while Geelong was defeated in only one home-and-away game, then the Grand Final last year.

Four-time premiership coach David Parkin, whose 1995 Carlton side lost only two home-and-away games, believes St Kilda has what it takes to go through the season undefeated.

His rampant Blues outfit were victorious in their last 16 matches, and he believes every game the Saints win is further validation of their game-plan and ability.

But four-time Essendon coach Kevin Sheedy said if St Kilda entered the finals series unbeaten the pressure would become almost too much to bear.

He said Essendon's Round 21 loss to the Bulldogs in 2000 was the reason his team won the flag.

Parkin believes the Saints are capable of an unbeaten year, and says every game they win strengthens their premiership claims.

"Yeah, I think they could (go unbeaten). They haven't been tested in depth and that's the only concern. I am not sure their depth goes anywhere near Geelong's but Ross (Lyon) argued that strongly with me not long ago. He would know, too," Parkin said.

"People were saying in 1995 the longer we went on winning the closer we were to a loss. I just couldn't see that.

"The longer you go on winning, the harder it is to lose. It's actually the other way around.

"If they haven't lost one between now and the Grand Final, there might be a few nerves, but I know who I will have my money on."

While Geelong won 23 consecutive games over the 1952-3 seasons, Essendon went the closest to a perfect year.

In that Round 21 loss in 2000, a freakish rebound off Dustin Fletcher's shin led to the left-footed banana goal from Chris Grant that sunk Essendon's hopes of an unbeaten season.

"I would rather lose one during the season and win the premiership than go all the way and lose by a kick in the Grand Final," Sheedy said yesterday.

"We knew then that it only took a free kick from a ricochet off Dustin Fletcher's shin to cost us a premiership, if that match had been the Grand Final.

"A little thing like that is enough to kill your premiership chances.

"Those things can cost you and we knew it. In the end it switched the players on."

GO SAINTS

NICK RIEWOLDT - 444 GOALS FROM 200 MATCHES
STEPHEN MILNE - 440 GOALS FROM 216 MATCHES
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Yeah.,...

Experts.

Sheedy is not an expert. He's a freakin lunatic with one marble rolling around up top...

Would be nice though...but a bit far fetched would'nt you think.
Last edited by bigred on Tue 07 Jul 2009 12:44am, edited 1 time in total.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Richter
SS Life Member

Well, I reckon that we'll win every game except the one against the bulldogs.

That would set us up to play either the pies or Crows in the QF. Cats and Dogs to play off in the second QF.... which I predict the Dogs will win.

Setting up Saints vs Cats in one prelim, to meet the Dogs in the GF.

Make no mistake, the Dogs are a BIG threat. They have a decent defence and a terrific midfield - though a modest offense.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Beej
Saintsational Legend

If we made a grand final without losing a single game we would be under even more pressure than we would normally be under.

Not only would we be chasing a first flag since 66, but we'd be defending a perfect record as well.

Can you imagine your only loss in a season coming in a grand final?

:? :? :?

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

OLB wrote:If we made a grand final without losing a single game we would be under even more pressure than we would normally be under.

Not only would we be chasing a first flag since 66, but we'd be defending a perfect record as well.

Can you imagine going through the whole season and winning every match including the grand final?

I have a lot of respect for Parkin and I agree with his philosophy that if you keep winning, it makes it harder to lose. Do you really believe that 1 loss in the home and away season will make any difference to the way Geelong plays next week or for the rest of the season?

I don't believe all this crap about needing a loss. Where in the hell is the competitive streak in the media commentators that keep brining this up? Almost as bad as saying that a team should tank to get draft picks. Don't subscribe to this type of talk.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Right now I'm more concerned about a bunch of battered bodies having to drag themselves over to Subi and back. The next game is no gimme IMO

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Moose
SS Hall of Fame

Hmmmm, " Geelong's depth" ?????

apparently they can't beat St Kilda without Johnson !!!!!

:roll:

This forum just proves NO ONE knows anything about football......
stinger
Saintsational Legend

saint75 wrote:
OLB wrote:If we made a grand final without losing a single game we would be under even more pressure than we would normally be under.

Can you imagine going through the whole season and winning every match including the grand final?

I have a lot of respect for Parkin and I agree with his philosophy that if you keep winning, it makes it harder to lose. Do you really believe that 1 loss in the home and away season will make any difference to the way Geelong plays next week or for the rest of the season?

I don't believe all this crap about needing a loss. Where in the hell is the competitive streak in the media commentators that keep brining this up? Almost as bad as saying that a team should tank to get draft picks. Don't subscribe to this type of talk.

excellent post in a very interesting thread.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Of course Sheedy's going to talk down our chances... it's his record that's under threat after all...

And don't the Bombers faithful know it too. The irony of them meeting us in round 20 if we are still unbeaten by then will be huge. They will do everything they can to stop us.
Moose wrote:Hmmmm, " Geelong's depth" ?????

apparently they can't beat St Kilda without Johnson !!!!!
Exactly :lol:

markp
Saintsational Legend

As long as we win the last one I don't give a toss.... :wink:

I'm also confident the 'St Kilda bubble' is holding up well, and none of these things will be of the slightest concern.

bozza1980
Club Player

I don't subscribe to the theory you have to lose a game to win the grand final.

As long as the club doesn't put the horse in front of the cart, they are just as big a chance of winning it if they are 22-0 or 21-1.

That said there are still 8 rounds to go and a couple of banana peels on our path.

Schillaci
Club Player

Incredible to think that we are 14 zip. Our preseason form was good but you can't read too much into preseason form anyway. The win against the Swans was workmanlike and now the rest is history.

To win all 25 games would be unbelievable. I don't think it will be done. We are in the position to do it and can do it but think it is unlikely to happen. The doggies in a couple of weeks looms large as our biggest obstacle during the H & A.

To be undefeated going into the Grand Final won't add any pressure...Grand Finals are all about the pressure anyway...you've still got to win them...being undefeated till that point will merely be a talking point and nothing else...the players wont be thinking about being undefeated if they are a goal behind in the last quarter of the Granny...they'll be thinking about a premiership.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Richter wrote:Well, I reckon that we'll win every game except the one against the bulldogs.

That would set us up to play either the pies or Crows in the QF. Cats and Dogs to play off in the second QF.... which I predict the Dogs will win.

Setting up Saints vs Cats in one prelim, to meet the Dogs in the GF.

Make no mistake, the Dogs are a BIG threat. They have a decent defence and a terrific midfield - though a modest offense.
Good points made by On the Couch last night re Dogs and Crows.

Both have played well to keep winning, but neither have beaten anybody in top 8.

Dogs v Pies - arguably two hottest sides in the comp a moment - will be a massive litmus test.

Persoanlly I think the Pies look a reasonable match up.

Either way someone's gonna get their bubble burst.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

You're right, lets lose every game from now until the end of the season...I don't want our team to be under pressue!

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

anyone can tell you it is 'within reach'...When your 14-0 being undefeated is 'within reach'..Thing is when you are 1-0 being undefeated is 'within reach' it just matters if you have to cattle to do it....and i beleive we do

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

One week at a time.
This time last year the Cats and Bullies were 1,2 having lost one game each. Neither of them won the flag.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:One week at a time.
This time last year the Cats and Bullies were 1,2 having lost one game each. Neither of them won the flag.
You're right...2 days in and only one thread on next weeks game so far (burried a couple pages back). I hope the team is more focused than the punters!

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Within reach? To me that means 24 down and one to go, not 14 down and 11 to go ie only 56% of the way there. We need to (sadly) realise that it is most unlikely to happen, and any talk of it does leave us open to a touch of arrogance. I reckon Geelong fancied the "Full Redemption" scenario but got a bit a head of themselves. Let's get back to just being nervous about our next game.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

to quote plugger66, i don't care "so long as we win the last match of the season".

Sainterone
Club Player

Well we are a better chance than any other team... :lol:

Personally, I reckon we can do it.

For the rest of the H&A, our highest placed opponent is the bullies (and they are in current good form) - we did beat them earlier (although we weren't playing really good footy). We can do it again.

I understand that we need to play well to win (against any other team that fields their strongest team), but we shouldn't underestimate how well the team is playing.

Finals is another matter. P1 plays P4 (it could be any one of the teams vying for a finals spot now especially if one of the lower ranked teams strikes some form).

A weeks rest and the likely scenario is that we would start massive favourites to dispatch whoever we play and line up for the big one.

Sounds easy doesn't it? But I'm happy to enjoy each of the weekly wins that brings us a step closer to the holy grail.

GO SAINTS

NICK RIEWOLDT - 444 GOALS FROM 200 MATCHES
STEPHEN MILNE - 440 GOALS FROM 216 MATCHES
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

The Little Paper is full of Journo's that have little or no clue, because if they did they'd write for a proper paper.

It's a complete load of hogwash.

I'm almost certain we will drop 1, and perhaps 2 games in the H&A season.

We have 3 interstate trips - all which are not gimmies, plus the Crows at the Dome, which is a very tough ask (much harder playing them at our home than theirs!). Also the Footscray game could be tough.

The REAL chance of us making through the H&A season undefeated is about 10 to 1 IMO.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

bozza1980 wrote:I don't subscribe to the theory you have to lose a game to win the grand final.

As long as the club doesn't put the horse in front of the cart, they are just as big a chance of winning it if they are 22-0 or 21-1.
Indeed. It's totally do-able.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
BakesFan
SS Life Member

I'm pretty sure the disappointments of 2004-06 and 2008 is enough motivation for this group of Saints.
You can see it in Rooey's 'celebrations' after a win. A little fist pump as if to say; "Yep! One step closer." The prize is there if they work hard enough to grab it.
They have faith in their coach, their gameplan, and eachother.
Whatever happens this season, we can be sure that our boys will have given it their all.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
Beej
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:

You're right, lets lose every game from now until the end of the season...I don't want our team to be under pressue!
If it's all the same to you, I'll side with a bloke that's won a few flags as a coach.
But four-time Essendon coach Kevin Sheedy said if St Kilda entered the finals series unbeaten the pressure would become almost too much to bear.
It's unnecessary added pressure. Obviously I'm not saying we need to deliberately lose a game. :roll:

Either way, we're all counting our chickens way before they've hatched here.

degrch, has a SANFL team ever gone through a whole season undefeated?

degruch
Saintsational Legend

OLB wrote:degrch, has a SANFL team ever gone through a whole season undefeated?
Dunno bud, I don't follow it unfortunately. I'll hit Wikipedia for ya.