Would we be keen on taking on a former Swan wild child?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

B W and R all over
SS Hall of Fame

Would we be keen on taking on a former Swan wild child?

Barry Hall to quit the Swans today.

I know we won't take him. Just wanted to imply that Sydney has a bad culture and we would make a good citizen out of him.

So sick of hearing the myth suggesting the opposite.

25 minutes to make a name for yourself like you've never made before.
SaintWodonga
Club Player

Glad we got rid of him nice swap we got Dal with their pick for Hall (13).

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
Richter
SS Life Member

Win - win that one was.

The y got a proven goal kicker who was instrumental in them winning a flag, we got a silky smooth midfield operator, who, fingers crossed will be the same for us.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
walski
Club Player

Tell ya one thing if hall is picked up by the doggies then the doggies stock will rise.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

I was very disappointed to see him leave after all the work we had put into his development. I'm pretty sure that we would have got closer to a 2004 or 2005 flag with him, but who knows. But, he got one with Sydney, courtesy of the AFL, so he'll always have that.

jay young
Club Player

I think geelong should take him cause mooney and hawkins are pretty average in a killer side i also think harley is crap . geelong should give him 1 year . I hope milney and l ball are practicing to stay on thier feet this week this going to ground is not good , S milne is slipping over too much , But we dont need barry i dont think hes the ogre that the media make of him, so what hes been reported 8or 10 times what about crawford libba dipper even the brennan thing with carr was far worse than what barry has ever done

degruch
Saintsational Legend

walski wrote:Tell ya one thing if hall is picked up by the doggies then the doggies stock will rise.
No-one else would want him, surely. I bet he ends up there next year.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:I was very disappointed to see him leave after all the work we had put into his development. I'm pretty sure that we would have got closer to a 2004 or 2005 flag with him, but who knows. But, he got one with Sydney, courtesy of the AFL, so he'll always have that.
you reckon WE put some work into him.

Can you imagine how Sydney will feel then?

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

would he get a game with us at the moment?

matrix
Saintsational Legend

dead wood

walski
Club Player

ausfatcat wrote:would he get a game with us at the moment?
Sandie would be happy with that signing ;)

SaintWodonga
Club Player

Sounds Official:
http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=834668

Sydney forward Barry Hall has announced he is quitting the Swans AFL club, effective immediately.

Hall says he is uncertain what his next step will be and will take some time out to consider his options.

He says the decision to leave the Swans, who he captained to a premiership in 2005, was hard, but the best move for all involved.

"The decision I have made is not just about me. It is about this football club, my team-mates, my family, my partner and my close friends." Hall said.

"Ultimately they have suffered grief over some of my wrongdoings and I have to take them into consideration.

"I think the easiest thing to do is to tell myself I am playing good football and don't want to desert my teammates, but the issue is a lot bigger than that.

"So over the last few days I have stepped back and tried to look at it as an outsider and control what I can control, which has led me to this decision.

"I am forever indebted to this footy club. I have no doubt I wouldn't even be playing the game if it wasn't for the club and despite what has happened, I still think I am walking away from the club a better person than when I walked in."

"... The next step for me is unclear, but in time, I will work through it."

Hall has previously speculated about either trying to continue his AFL career with another club or possibly take up professional boxing.

Hall's decision came after a series of on-field misdemeanours prompted senior club figures, including coach Paul Roos and co-captain Brett Kirk, to question his desire to continue playing.

The latest was a punch to the face of Adelaide defender Ben Rutten, in Hall's last game in round 13, for which he was handed a two-game suspension.

Last year Hall served a seven-match ban for striking West Coast utility Brent Staker and also underwent anger management counselling during a club-imposed ban.

The week he returned from that suspension Hall received a one-game suspension for attempting to strike Collingwood opponent Shane Wakelin.

The Swans also handed him a one-week club suspension for the Wakelin incident.

Hall co-captained the Swans to their historic 2005 premiership but he had to win a tribunal case to play in the grand final.

The Rutten incident was the 15th charge of Hall's career, which has so far featured 24 games lost through suspension.

Last year was the seventh-straight season he topped Sydney's goalkicking.

The Adelaide game, which will now be his final in Swans colours, was celebrating his 250th senior game as an AFL player.

That includes 88 matches with St Kilda from 1995 to 2001 before he joined the Swans in 2002.

Roos said the occasion should be used to celebrate the contribution Hall made to the club.

"It is definitely a sad day for the Sydney Swans Football Club; one of our greatest ever players has decided to retire, but I also think it must be a time of celebration, to reflect on what has been an outstanding career," Roos said.

"As his coach for the last six years I will remember Hally as one of the genuine superstars of the game. His ability to be a match winner enabled him to take us to the level of the 2005 premiership.

"His consistent performance over those six years has allowed him to be not only a premiership captain, but a club best and fairest, an All-Australian, a life member and a multiple leading goalkicker at this footy club."

Roos said the Swans also knew Hall as a "likeable and easygoing character" off the field, which most people did not get to see.

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
walski wrote:Tell ya one thing if hall is picked up by the doggies then the doggies stock will rise.
Richmond will be salivating at the prospect of him in the yellow and black :wink:

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
degruch wrote:
Richmond will be salivating at the prospect of him in the yellow and black :wink:
Hmmm...possibly. I'm sure there's room for him at their recycling facility.

saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

Should retire, cant see anyone taking him on really, if Paul Roos cant make him change noone can.

Before Im 85
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Will be 33 at the start of next season. Hard to see anyone taking him at that age.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:Will be 33 at the start of next season. Hard to see anyone taking him at that age.

I still reckon the bullies will if they think he can win them a flag in one year. He would be a good pick up if he can play out the year.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

as in this year?
surely he cant quit a club and join another now?? :?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote:as in this year?
surely he cant quit a club and join another now?? :?
Next year.

claystreet
Club Player

Something tells me hes going boxing.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
I still reckon the bullies will if they think he can win them a flag in one year. He would be a good pick up if he can play out the year.
Yep, I suppose he could be good top up value on a one year contract if he comes basically for nothing.

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

Short awnser: no

Long awnser: f*** no

End of story

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Every time I hear the Barry headlines, I keep thinking of the footy show parody "Oh barry lay your glove on me, oh barry let your fist go free now....

Seriously though, surely the guy's heart is not in playing footy anymore.

PJ
SS Life Member

Sad end for him but sooner or later he has to own up to having little to no control of his temper. You could make a DVD of Barry's greatest hits, absolute loose cannon.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Winmar7Fan
Club Player

The concerning thing is he said one of the reasons for calling it quits is he can't guarantee he wont do it again.

What message does that send to another club that may be interested?