bally

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

bally

is bally ok? only 6 possies??

#1 Ryder fan
thequarry
Club Player

Hmmm...

Coupled with not even (???) 50% game time last week...

But that commitment to the contest after West Coast's second goal in the middle was huge I thought. It really put the club's mark back on the game.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He's in real trouble........atm he is a liability....(last week and this week)...

He cannot find the ball and cannot run......he is going to ground in every contest......and his kicking is slow and lacks depth....

if he is NO good.....spell him

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Superb contest in the last 1/4 that cleaned up LeCras. However I agree, I'm not sure what's wrong with him, but we definitely need more from. Too important a player to be getting 9 possessions. I'll cop 20 possessions and 8 tackles, with some imoprtant work in clearances. If that means he's not kicking goals or driving through the centre, fair enough. Hopefully he's just going through a flat spot - where others are now covering for him.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Has the dreaded OP returned ? !!

midas_touch
Club Player

Hayes had just as little impact too.

But I agree, it wouldnt hurt to give Ball a spell. Armo would be the logical replacement.

Trust the Midas Touch

"My heart is at St.Kilda, I've been here seven years, I only wanted to play for them." (Fraser Gehrig, 27/11/2007)
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:Has the dreaded OP returned ? !!
hmm....seems likely eh?

Can't think it's just a form slump, considering how well the rest of them are going.....

felixleo
Club Player

Is there a stat for how many blocks you apply?

Are you gonna be the one?
Legendary
Club Player

Thought he was basically our best player against the Tigers, and his work in the packs last week was good.

Quiet today, but obviously tired and flat from the Cats game ... he will pick up again ...

Luke Ball would take sore legs and 50% gametime if it means playing in a flag, and so will I, because he gives more in 10 mins than some blokes do in 150 games (Fiora).

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
Eastern wrote:Has the dreaded OP returned ? !!
hmm....seems likely eh?

Can't think it's just a form slump, considering how well the rest of them are going.....
I listened to a MMM interview with Sylvia who has problems with osti pubis for a few years and his physio has researched it and and been tapping up his groin area to restrict the lateral movement (much like the shoulder area and other areas...

He Silvia said it has worked fine and feels more comfortable in his movements, I hope the physios look into this and see if it can help

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
saint-stu
Club Player

It seems to be affecting him more and more.

I saw him a few times just jogging after an opponent.. it must be painful.

His tackles are still excellent though.

felixleo
Club Player

Cannot see any reason for us playing anyone that is not 95% fit at least at the moment. So IMO it cant be that (op) unless he put his hand up to play when he was not right.

supersaints
Club Player

felixleo wrote:Cannot see any reason for us playing anyone that is not 95% fit at least at the moment. So IMO it cant be that (op) unless he put his hand up to play when he was not right.
At this stage of the year I doubt if there is any 100% fit players, they are all carrying some niggles - at a minimum. I think RL would be doing cartwheels if we had everyone at 95%.................. so would every otjher league coach.

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

midas_touch wrote:Hayes had just as little impact too.

But I agree, it wouldnt hurt to give Ball a spell. Armo would be the logical replacement.
Armo's injured, didn't play for Sandy today.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
felixleo
Club Player

Still why would you play him if his fitness is that much retarded that he cannot impact a game? It does not make sense when you take into account where we are on the ladder and with two serious contenders coming up in the next two weeks.

ace
Saintsational Legend

5 kicks, 3 handballs, 8 tackles.
He is still good in close but almost certainly is being restricted by osteitis pubis.

Osteitis pubis is a medical condition which is prevalent among footballers, runners and other athletes, particularly players of Australian rules football.

Osteitis pubis is characterised by inflammation of the pubic symphysis, which is the joint at the front of the pelvis between the two ends of the pubic bone. This inflammation leads to sclerosis and bony changes of the pubis symphysis, causing both acute and chronic groin pain. The condition can render sufferers incapable of sustained physical activity. There is no specific treatment for the condition and it can seriously affect the careers of footballers affected by it.

The cause of osteitis pubis is excessive physical strain on the pubic bone, usually caused by the increasing rigorous demands of competitive sport, particularly soccer and football. In such sports, actions such as running, jumping, kicking and rapid changes of direction cause the abdominal and groin muscles to exercise a pulling or traction force on the pubic bone, which in some cases can result in excessive stress and inflammation. In Australian football this risk is increased by repeated jarring of the pelvis caused when players come down from the high leaps required by the game, and also by tackling from other players. This also forces the pain to arise when performing kicking motions.

The incidence of osteitis pubis among Australian footballers has increased sharply over the past decade. There are believed to be three reasons for this:

The increasing physical demands of Australian rules football. As the game has become more professionalised, with players becoming full-time athletes, such factors as running speed, kicking length, jumping and tackling have all increased, placing increasing stress on the pubic region.
The increasing hardness of the surfaces of football grounds. Grounds are better drained than in the past, and the game is increasingly played in roofed stadiums in which the grounds receive no rain. Australian football evolved as a winter game played on soft, muddy grounds, and modern surfaces have made muscle and bone injuries more common.
The increasing demand for size and strength among footballers. This has led young players to concentrate on building muscle mass before their bodies are fully mature. The additional strain that highly developed abdominal muscles place on the pubic bone explains the higher prevalence of osteitis pubis on young players. Some develop the condition while still playing school-level football.

In other words it HURTS.
Last edited by ace on Sun 12 Jul 2009 11:11pm, edited 1 time in total.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
felixleo
Club Player

Why play him then and not rest him.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Hes just so important Ball - we saw that last year.

Ofcourse those closest to the club would know but if hes carrying anything at all hes gotta have a spell.

“Yeah….nah””
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Tough day at the office coming off last week. Reduced game time = OP? Let's hope not, although he doesn't seem to be travelling anywhere nearly as well as earlier in the year. If it is OP, not much can be done about it now, except to ease him through as best as possible. Fingers crossed it's not the case.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
To the top
SS Life Member

I have always had a feeling with Ball that when he puts in a big game he never comes up well the week after - and sometimes the week after that as well.

The type of game he plays, given the fineness of his body means that the crunching he endures in and under knock him around physically and he has a problem coming up the next week.

And this is nothing new - it has always been the case no matter his endeavour.

He does not have the thickness of frame of others in the competition who do the same sort of work he does and it may be that we have to allow him more time in the forward 50 and skill someone else to pick up the in and under feeder role to take some of the pressure off.

I would look at Jack Steven's development with a touch of urgency.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

youd think if he is sore then he wouldnt be playing.
id be pretty mad if he was running around at 70%.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Sadly he was overworked and overtrained early in his career.
A superstar reduced to a grunt, by the need to get results immediately.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

i love the guy, but he's really obviously not right at the moment. if a couple of weeks off will help get him right for the finals, he needs to get that break as soon as possible.

no clearances yesterday! can you remember the last time that happened?

and, for that matter, less than ten touches. he's had more than ten touches every game in his ENTIRE CAREER except for two games in his first year, 2003.

seriously. problems for the boy. we need to do what it takes to get him right. NOW.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I think he is a bit slow this year compared to the current crop of midfielders and onballers -and has a problem with kicking..no penetration. He can't be questioned for his courage though. He should be getting a lot more of the ball.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

supersaints wrote:
felixleo wrote:Cannot see any reason for us playing anyone that is not 95% fit at least at the moment. So IMO it cant be that (op) unless he put his hand up to play when he was not right.
At this stage of the year I doubt if there is any 100% fit players, they are all carrying some niggles - at a minimum. I think RL would be doing cartwheels if we had everyone at 95%.................. so would every otjher league coach.

This isn't a well thought out response.

Using the line 'they are all carrying injuries' just doesn't cut the mustard.