Nick Heyne

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Nick Heyne

I gave his game a fair ol' serve earlier in the year........looked a typical lazy HFF who looked to hit the highlights reel.....had some tricks, but little substance (reminded me of Kane Pettifer)

Credit where its due......today he was pushed into the middle, he worked hard both ways and found the ball a bit. Has he worked out that there is other ways to win the ball than a big mark or loose ball get whilst cheating - perhaps....

If he adopts the attitude that the flashy things compliment his game and NOT define it.....he may be a player......long way to go though...

LYNCH
STANLEY
ARMITAGE
STEVEN
GEARY
McEVOY
ALLEN
All will be players

HEYNE
CAHILL
SMITH
GAERTNER
SIMPKIN
McGRATH
TUNGA
May turn out.......jury still out

HOWARD
CONNERS
HARETUKU
McGARRY
No........

GWILT
L.FISHER
BEGLEY
MILES
EDDY
MAGUIRE
Not all will remain

DAWSON
MINI
JONES
made it........

Solar
Saintsational Legend

thanks for the views on the sandy players for those of us who can't get to the games anymore :)

The problem I have with the kid is that he rushes his decision making and thats at the lower level. I wonder then how he will go at the faster higher level.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
strauchanie
Club Player

thanks bigmart

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Interesting observations Bigmart..as always you call it how you see it

My only observation is that perhaps you are being a bit harsh opn McGarry, writing him off after one game for Sandy seniors..has been a pretty good performer in their 2nds and earned his promotion

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Agree with most - Although I havn't seen nearly enough, I do wonder where others get their belief in Allen....

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:Agree with most - Although I havn't seen nearly enough, I do wonder where others get their belief in Allen....
I agree. I mean I hope he's going to be player, but seriously the guy's had about as much game time as me!

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:Agree with most - Although I havn't seen nearly enough, I do wonder where others get their belief in Allen....
when drafted he was a very clever half forward whose body COULD allow him to build into a KPF. Personally and it's only an observation, allen put on way too much muscle and weight and lost alot of his speed off the mark. This turned him into a slow full forward. I think he improved as the year went on last year and made the prelim side.

Remember this injury was seen as taking at least a year to get right. It's a bonus that we can get some games into him in 2009. Needs to work on his running and speed.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Thanks for that bigmart.

Conners looked like a player in pre-season. Quick, evasive and skillful, even if he didn't find a lot of footy.

Hasn't kicked on?

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:Conners looked like a player in pre-season. Quick, evasive and skillful, even if he didn't find a lot of footy.

Hasn't kicked on?
yeah, i'm interested to know what the deal is. far as i can see, he's played 5 games for sandy seniors, 7 games for sandy reserves. only been in the best once, this week for the reserves. just sounds like he's a long way away at the moment.

older saint
SS Life Member

LYNCH
STANLEY
ARMITAGE
STEVEN
GEARY
McEVOY
ALLEN
All will be players

HEYNE
CAHILL
SMITH
GAERTNER
SIMPKIN
McGRATH
TUNGA
May turn out.......jury still out

HOWARD
CONNERS
HARETUKU
McGARRY
No........

Why in AFL is everyone so quick after 1 or 2 years to write off players?
Howard aside all the players above would be under 20 years old.
In any other sport most still wouldn't be playign professionally or would have little expectation on them.

With bugger all draft picks after this year patiance must be used on developing players over a 3 year period before they can be disguarded , unless obviously no good.

Look at some of the Older players drafted late and playing well this year - Jones, Nahas, and in previous years Mitchell (Haw) , Hudson (WB), etc

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote:Why in AFL is everyone so quick after 1 or 2 years to write off players?
Howard aside all the players above would be under 20 years old.
In any other sport most still wouldn't be playign professionally or would have little expectation on them.
impatience comes from the system.

the rules say that we have to have three picks in the national draft every year, which means we have to have three spare spots on our list to drop them in to.

the rookie list perversely makes this harder. we've got two rookies this year who have been promoted to the senior list (dawson and miles). i'd assume this means we want to keep them. that means that by november we need five spots on the list.

find them where you can...

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Its mainly to do with body language, bad habits and attitude (Brooks, Murray, Beetham, Sweeney)...or a flaw in there skills/game (McGough, Stone, Rix).........if the flaw is minor it can be corrected......if it is glaring, there is a problem....

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

geeez i hope stinger doesn't show up and accuse you of bringing the team down :lol: :lol:

that's too bad about LJ, thought he looked alright in the preseason

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on Stevens. The general consensus in the preseason was that he'd get occasional games this year but from what I've heard he hasn't been close. What kind of player do you think he'll be (position wise) and what do you think he needs to do to improve his game?

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Heyne looked really good for us in the NAB cup game he played earlier this year (got about 18 possies, from memory) and he is one who would probably benefit from the better surfaces/drier conditions/faster game styles in the AFL. The VFL games (especially when it's heavy underfoot) are better suited to those who are more "in and under". They'll hopefully help him add something to his game, though.
I googled the "phantom drafts" from the past few years, recently (where the guy gives his tips for each pick, from each club, in the draft) and he said that there was some talk of Essendon taking him as a "smoky" with their first pick (number 5, overall) in last year's National Draft. If that's even close to being true he's obviously got some serious talent.
Ross is clearly looking for another Ryan O'Keefe, although Tom Lynch will most likely get first crack.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.