Exuses for Saints beating teams

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

spert
Saintsational Legend

Exuses for Saints beating teams

I find it pretty annoying to see week after week, a list of excuses by sides being beaten by the Saints..why not just a simple, "the Saints are the best team in the comp and we put up a good show against them". Is this annoying anyone else..or is it just me?

markp
Saintsational Legend

Didn't Mark Williams even say he worked out how to beat us in the last quarter, but it was too late in the game to tell his players?

I personally dont care what they say... we take the 4 points and move on.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Heard an interesting one this morning - 'How many games have the Eagles won? Oh - and how many are they allowed to win for priority draft picks?'

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Re: Exuses for Saints beating teams

spert wrote:I find it pretty annoying to see week after week, a list of excuses by sides being beaten by the Saints..why not just a simple, "the Saints are the best team in the comp and we put up a good show against them". Is this annoying anyone else..or is it just me?
No one rates St Kilda. Everyone expects St Kilda to fall in a heap.

Mate until we win a flag everyone who doesn't follow St Kilda is going to measure STKFC against its abysmal historical record, the fact that we blew 97, and we blew the prelims in 04 and 05.

Our reputation for stumbling at the final hurdle is based on fact. It's not something that someone made up.

It is the way of things.

Deal with it.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

The only excuse that's left for opposition supporters is "Geelong didn't have Ottens and Johnson"

I'm pretty sure you won't hear many fans disappointed with 20 point losses like they were prior to beating Geelong.

We know what we can do. Now it's all about September.

VietNam_Saint
Club Player

Thinline wrote:
spert wrote:I find it pretty annoying to see week after week, a list of excuses by sides being beaten by the Saints..why not just a simple, "the Saints are the best team in the comp and we put up a good show against them". Is this annoying anyone else..or is it just me?

Mate until we win a flag everyone who doesn't follow St Kilda is going to measure STKFC against its abysmal historical record, the fact that we blew 97, and we blew the prelims in 04 and 05.

Our reputation for stumbling at the final hurdle is based on fact. It's not something that someone made up.

It is the way of things.

Deal with it.
Unfortunatly it is a fact ,, and something that always gets mentioned.

My mate is a Footscray supporter , we're both born around 1964 ,, when he gives me stick , at least i can say to him,

"We may have only one flag mate ,,, but at least we won that in my lifetime!!"

What will be next from this club ?
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Evidently we are the worst team in history to be 15-0.

Still I don't mind the bad PR too much as it helps to keep the boys heads screwed on right without having positive hype in overdrive.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Moods
Saintsational Legend

If you think back to 07, the 'media experts' were saying the same things about the cats. 'When are they going to fall over?' 'How long can they keep this going'

No-one really rated them until they actually won the flag. The whole premises behind Mark Williams goading the cats all GF week, is b/c everyone thought they were fragile. Historically poor teams will always have this hanging over their heads.

Colliwobbles anyone?

All we can do is win the flag and shove it up their ar%es :twisted:

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Sorry, but if you want praise, buy some mayonnaise.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:

It is the way of things.

Deal with it.

can relate to that...we also blew it in 65 and big time in 71......not going to happen with this lot though.......there is fire in their bellies and steel in their eyes...........

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
milney044
Club Player

You know i thought i wanted the media to acknowledge us. But this week i heard a few talk down Geelong and state they just might not win it this year and my immediate thought was "No! Keep talking them up!" So really, i think its good to slip under the radar, let them take no notice of us, its been working so far. Realistically, it doesn't matter what the media or anyone else thinks, its what the boys put into practice and achieve come September that really matters. That in itself will earn respect. Until then, let the butterflies continue to fly in my stomach as i think of the possibilities in September :?

Destiny. It's in our hands.

Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.
megs4#31
Club Player

i nearly had a massive argument with my friend (over facebook of all things) about the saints. She told me we're gonna choke in the finals as we always do apparently. She's like i love the saints and all, they're the underdogs but they suck in finals. (btw she goes for hawthorn and even though they're going crap she still manages to say all of this). Im like geeze wat the hell, seriously over not people recognising how well the boys are going...... BUT

the positive out of it is that i used to find in 04/05 that once they started raving about us it seemed to hinder us and we'd lose the next week. I dont mind the stupid excuses if it means we win the flag in september. Bring it on!

Go saints, 2009 is our year!
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
Thinline wrote:

It is the way of things.

Deal with it.

can relate to that...we also blew it in 65 and big time in 71......not going to happen with this lot though.......there is fire in their bellies and steel in their eyes...........
I was speaking to my diehard mum about 65 and 71 after the the Geelong win. She said 65 was terrible because Bombers not only won it from fourth but really gave it to us in the big one, sort of threw us aside, even though we were the clear minor premier. She said it was kind of a fizzer because the Saints were never really in it once the ball was bounced. Essendon just bullied us aside. BUT she reckoned 71 was worse though because the Saints had hit the finals on a real roll (won last 7 or 8 she said), were a bit stiff not to win the semi against the highly fancied Hawks and the consensus was that the Saints were really due to give it a shake. And at three quarter time they were so far ahead...and then...pffffftttt....The old girl actually fogged up while she was telling me about it!!!!!!!!! Had to dab the corner of her eye with a tissue...She was a bit emotional after the Cats game though... We share that gene!

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

I hope it fires up the boys, cause it totally gets up my nose. Just a little bit of praise would be nice.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
Richter
SS Life Member

megs4#31 wrote:Im like geeze wat the hell, seriously over.....
Yo,yo,yo....... West side!

:wink: 8-) :oops:

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

markp wrote:Didn't Mark Williams even say he worked out how to beat us in the last quarter, but it was too late in the game to tell his players?

I personally dont care what they say... we take the 4 points and move on.
Like his team is likely to beat ANYONE for the rest of the season......

Fortius Quo Fidelius
saint3d
Club Player

I find it interesting that now the media has started saying there are five teams with a shot at the flag. Two weeks ago it was a fait accompli that Geelong would beat St Kilda in the Grand Final, but now you can't separate the field. The most ironic thing about this is that Brisbane isn't considered one of the five teams.

My reaction to comments like that is more along the lines of 'what would you know, idiots' than 'give us some credit!' I don't care who else believes in what the Saints are doing; I just know that I do.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
stinger wrote:
Thinline wrote:

It is the way of things.

Deal with it.

I was speaking to my diehard mum about 65 and 71 after the the Geelong win. She said 65 was terrible because Bombers not only won it from fourth but really gave it to us in the big one, sort of threw us aside, even though we were the clear minor premier. She said it was kind of a fizzer because the Saints were never really in it once the ball was bounced. Essendon just bullied us aside. BUT she reckoned 71 was worse though because the Saints had hit the finals on a real roll (won last 7 or 8 she said), were a bit stiff not to win the semi against the highly fancied Hawks and the consensus was that the Saints were really due to give it a shake. And at three quarter time they were so far ahead...and then...pffffftttt....The old girl actually fogged up while she was telling me about it!!!!!!!!! Had to dab the corner of her eye with a tissue...She was a bit emotional after the Cats game though... We share that gene!

yep....two of the three worst days of my life....97 was the other.....

..in 65, i flew over from tassie for the game ...a local launceston team stayed at the same hotel......we partied all night.when i went to go to bed ,some other drunks were in it..i had to go to one of those i hour news reel theatres to get some sleep before the match...

...there was a lot of angst against us as jimmy read had cleaned up davis earlier in the year......... ted fordham went on a record goal kicking spree..7 goals....we weren't up to it...as morrow was playing with broken bones in his feet and ditterich as worn down by weight of numbers and that ugly bastard geoff leek.....

i was a mournful looking sight going home that night......the doc spoke to me at the airport......he was pretty upset as well.....as one could well imagine....

71 was a different game entirely....the hawks were a rought tough take no prisoners side......we were beating them comfortably both on the scoreboard and in the fights....cowboy nearly separated hudson's body form his head...stopped him kicking a record 151 goals for the season....was beating him...so the dorks shifted keddie to full forward...the arsehole kicked a bagful...and sunk our chances...i went home and went to bed for two days...we had guests that night...i didn't care...didn't want to see or speak to anybody... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

i handle defeat a little better these days...but only a little..... :wink: :lol: :lol:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:Sorry, but if you want praise, buy some mayonnaise.
:lol:

It's the media's job to talk up the opposition somewhat, but I guarantee someone in the media will make the saints "trendy" soon....then they will all fawn all over us and we will wish that we were back to flying under the radar.

spert
Saintsational Legend

The media build up for last week's Magpies vs Dogs match was billing it as a contest between the two hottest teams in the AFL..funnny, I thought the Saints (and probably the Cats apart from their last game) were reasonably hot in the competition.

Dal_Santos_Gal
Saintsational Legend

I honeslty don't give a stuff what the media thinks.
Yes it does give you warm and fuzzy feeling when they praise how well we are going.
But at the end of the day, what people think and the comments the media make are not going to make any difference.
The players gerenally don't take much notice of what the media says about them and rightly so.

I can only credit one person in the media that has been on the St Kilda bangwagon pretty much all season and said weeks out before playing Geelong and into the lead upto to the big game that we would win and that was and is Shane Crawford.

He thinks we will win the flag and has being saying it for weeks.

If the media wants to focus on Geelong, Western Bulldogs, Collingwood and now Adelaide, they are welcome to it.
Rather just keep punching out the wins and say UP YOURS if we win the premiership at seasons end.

In Ross Get lost!

I am excited to stay at St Kilda and this is a great result for the Club and all our fans. I’m proud to be part of the Saints and am pleased to be playing football with the Clubâ€
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Pretty sure we get a good go in the media but just in case you dont realise the media want a story and knocking off the top dog is a story. Still yet to read a story that says the Saints cant win the flag though or even a story that says the Dogs and Pies are better than us or Geelong.

loris
Saintsational Legend

Wrong post

Schillaci
Club Player

stinger wrote:

71 was a different game entirely....the hawks were a rought tough take no prisoners side......we were beating them comfortably both on the scoreboard and in the fights....cowboy nearly separated hudson's body form his head...stopped him kicking a record 151 goals for the season....was beating him...so the dorks shifted keddie to full forward...the arsehole kicked a bagful...and sunk our chances...i went home and went to bed for two days...we had guests that night...i didn't care...didn't want to see or speak to anybody... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

i handle defeat a little better these days...but only a little..... :wink: :lol: :lol:
Heard about that 71 final many times from the old man.
Keddie won it for the hawks after the Saints seemingly had it won at 3/4 time. Gary Colling was not well liked by the old man or uncle from that moment on and I remember him being referred to as "Captain Custard" as a little fella whenever he made a stuff up.