We need Raph in the finals

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

JABBER
Club Player

We need Raph in the finals

A lot of Fans bag Raph Clarke but when it comes down to playing good at the mcg in finals he ticks all the boxes .They cant afford to tag Gilbert Fisher and Raph at the same time

trevor barker
Selhurst Saint
Club Player

..........Is the correct answer

"...If there has been one recurring theme through this whole shocking mess, it has been the misguided, inflated egos and their ill-judged determination to cling to long-standing old boy friendships. The bad advice that has guided the selfish and culpable James Hird has not only punctuated this saga but symbolised it..."
matrix
Saintsational Legend

i dont bag him
yet i dont have him in the side

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: We need Raph in the finals

he's starting to produce his best, which is better than most.

if we're to play all of max, dawson and blake in the same backline raph would be the one likely to make way.

in some respects it would make us perhaps more solid defensively but maybe at the cost of losing some run and flair,

IMO all of max, dawson and blake deserve their spots, but i think that one of them (probably zac) might need to be found another role.

could he play half forward for instance?
Last edited by bigcarl on Tue 28 Jul 2009 12:32pm, edited 2 times in total.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:he's starting to produce his best, which is better than most.

if we're to play all of max, dawson and blake in the same backline raph would be the one likely to make way.

in some respects it would make us perhaps more solid defensively but maybe at the cost of losing some run and flair,

i'd like to see all of max, dawson and blake keep their spots, but i think that one of them (probably zac) might need to be found another role.

agree re zac
and i have him on the bench as a spare for forward or back

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote:
bigcarl wrote:he's starting to produce his best, which is better than most.

i'd like to see all of max, dawson and blake keep their spots, but i think that one of them (probably zac) might need to be found another role.

agree re zac
and i have him on the bench as a spare for forward or back
yeah, it's a hard one. ross and sos will work it out.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

There seems to be a misconception that Blake and Dawson are purely defensive and by having them and Max in the team destroys our running capability. But if you look at the stats Blake averages only 4 less stats per game than Heath Shaw and is second in the league for marks Dawson is only slightly worse. What Blake does offer is a huge tank which sees him finding space even in the last quarter when others are struggling. He takes a lot of uncontested marks and is our link man coming out of defence.

Zak also provides plenty of run neither of them are slow, especially when you factor in that they are generally playing on the opps tall forwards. Combine that with the flair of Gram, Gilbo, Raph and Chips and the absolute shutdown of Max and Bakes and we have the most versatile backline in the comp. Who plays where will depend on matchups but all will play come finals

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

If it turns out that we still have an abundance of fit talent, come finals time, perhaps the AFL will allow us to play 25 or 26 so that no-one is disappointed. This seems only fair after some of the "against us" AFL decisions over the years.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

He's in the best 26 for mine, so a good chance depending on injury and form - would be happy with any of the top 26 making the final. They all deserve it IMO.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

From the players who have had a regular game this year the ones who may miss out are geary, eddy, zac, raph, ben, dempster and gwilt. Obviously some will play but some will miss out. raph would be 50/50 at this stage.

SaintDebi
Club Player

We need Raph in the side for finals IF he is in our best 22 when the time comes.
I think he played a better game against the dogs, but I still wouldn't have him in our best 22 yet.
He gets plenty of opportunity to prove himself, so good luck to him. If his game is up to standard he should be there. As is the case with every other player on our list.

shmic_s
Club Player

thought he played well on the weekend and looks like he is getting the chance to make a spot for the finals his.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote:

There seems to be a misconception that Blake and Dawson are purely defensive and by having them and Max in the team destroys our running capability. But if you look at the stats Blake averages only 4 less stats per game than Heath Shaw and is second in the league for marks Dawson is only slightly worse.
You can look at the stats and get half the story as well. Facts are that when Max played earlier in the year with both Zac and Blake we looked top heavy down back, and it coincided with our worst form of the year. THis continued right up to the point when Max injured himself against Richmond. Yet when Max went off suddenly the team started to function again. Not saying it's Max's fault. Far from it. Sadly only two of those three can play down back together. Putting Zac (or either of the other 2 on the bench) restricts our run too much - especially if we're going to play a second ruck off the bench as well, which we do.

In my opinion both Max and Zac have 5 games to secure a spot. I had Max out of our best 22 right up until our last game. Since last Sat night he reminded me once again why he is the competitions best stopper, including Presti and anyone else they throw up. Zac is a better attacker, but defensively, against the gun fwds in the big finals, I think I feel safer with Max.

Having said this - I don't reckon ANY club in the comp has better insurance for key backs than the saints. If any of our backs get injured before finals, we can rejig that backline without skipping a beat. I will be very interested how the cats rejog their backline this weekend.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

You can look at the stats and get half the story as well. Facts are that when Max played earlier in the year with both Zac and Blake we looked top heavy down back, and it coincided with our worst form of the year. THis continued right up to the point when Max injured himself against Richmond. Yet when Max went off suddenly the team started to function again. Not saying it's Max's fault. Far from it. Sadly only two of those three can play down back together. Putting Zac (or either of the other 2 on the bench) restricts our run too much - especially if we're going to play a second ruck off the bench as well, which we do.
you could also put this down to the fact that Max had only played 2 games back from a long term injury, imo none of our talls in defence are slow and most of them can play on mids talls and smalls (and have this year) I think the most vulnerable of our defenders at the moment is Bakes as he can only play on 1 type, a small forward that doesn't present a danger in the air.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Zac has got to be the most over rated kid at St.Kilda.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

borderbarry wrote:Zac has got to be the most over rated kid at St.Kilda.
Missed most of the games this year have ya??....

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Week after next we play the Hawks. Who would you play on Buddy 1. Roughhead 2. Rioli 3.?

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

No Sobraz. That is why I make that comment.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Raph looks so much better when he runs and takes the game on...

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Week after next we play the Hawks. Who would you play on Buddy 1. Roughhead 2. Rioli 3
1. Zac/Max/Gilbo
2. Zac/Max/Blake
3. Bakes/Gilbo/Gram

Thats the point, we have multiple options in the back half, if one guys is getting beat there are always other options.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Week after next we play the Hawks. Who would you play on Buddy 1. Roughhead 2. Rioli 3.?
1. Gilbert or Max or Fisher all good matchup's I reckon, 2. Dawson 3. Baker

It's almost embarrassing that we can have any number of players play on any number of forwards.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Max is tghe only one that can beat Buddy. I am looking forward though to Zac playing against the Hawks., he really has a point to prove.

saintjake
Club Player

JABBER wrote:A lot of Fans bag Raph Clarke but when it comes down to playing good at the mcg in finals he ticks all the boxes .They cant afford to tag Gilbert Fisher and Raph at the same time
teams would not bother to tag raph,
until he shows certainty with the ball, and quick decision making, id rather not have him in the side.

bob__71
Club Player

borderbarry wrote:Max is tghe only one that can beat Buddy. I am looking forward though to Zac playing against the Hawks., he really has a point to prove.
Funny that you pick Hawthorn...Is that because its the only team left where Zac hasnt beaten the Full Forward already?

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Our first choice back six:

1. S Fisher
2. B Goddard
3. M Hudghton
4. S Gilbert
5. Z Dawson
6. J Blake

====

7. S Dempster
8. R Clarke
9. M Maguire (should be in top six)
10. J Gwilt

Not including Gram, Begley or L Fisher due to their part-midfield roles.

So no, at this stage, I wouldn't have Raph in my finals backline. Just too shaky in my unbiased, unracist and very-PC opinion.

He's not a bad player and has played some fine games, even in finals, but I feel others can do a better job against high-intensity opposition.

Dempster, for example, is clearly a bit rusty but I feel by the finals, he'll be just about ripe. Not only is he a superb stopper, as we saw last year, but he's just about the best long kick in the side - even though his kicking has NOT been that good so far this year. Should be almost be spot on by September.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.