Who has been the most instrumental in St kilda's rise?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Cowboy

Who has been the most instrumental in St kilda's rise?

Ross Lyon or David Misson?

I think that Ross Lyon has done an excellent job however, the main reason behind St kilda's rise is David Misson. I remember in 2005 when St kilda fell in the prelim final and South Melbourne went on to win the premiership, people were saying it was because South had no injuries. In fact most people were saying that it was a football miracle. South made 1 forced change in the last 10 weeks of the 2005 season.

Have a look at our injury list this year. Actually, to be quite frank, there is hardly an injury list to look at. This in itself is a bigger fotball miracle to what Misson achieved in Sydney. :shock: In the last few years, by round 17 St kilda were barely able to pick a fit 22. I remember clearly when we selected injured players to make up the 3 emergencies.

Grant Thomas must be really hurting that it's not him at the helm. I have no doubt that he is happy the Saints are doing well but he must be thinking that it should have been him instead of Lyon.

When we win the premiership in 2 months time, I hope Thomas is at the celebration down at Moorabbin because he initiated this rise to power and he deserves to be part of the celebrations.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Cowboy - aptly named.

Yay - another troll... :roll:

Already another Misson thread on the front page, dude.

http://www.saintsational.com/forum/view ... hp?t=54429

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
Cowboy

InkerSaint wrote:Cowboy - aptly named.

Yay - another troll... :roll:

Already another Misson thread on the front page, dude.

http://www.saintsational.com/forum/view ... hp?t=54429
You're quick to judge aren't you InkerSaint. I was not aware there was another Misson thread. :evil:

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

First post, duplicate subject on a day where there has already been a bit of tiresome Lyon-sledging.

Maybe it's just not your lucky day.

For the record, I think you're being very uncharitable on Rossy. I'd go so far as to credit him for highlighting the problem in the first place.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/s ... 12058.html
During the week, coach Ross Lyon publicly blamed poor management — rather than bad luck — for the injury troubles that have continued this season. It was an unusual admission for an AFL coach, in a culture that eschews the idea of blaming anything or anyone else.

It also appeared on one level to point an accusing finger at past administrations at St Kilda, and could have been interpreted as the football equivalent of the government that comes to power, only to announce the discovery of a black hole in the budget created by its dastardly predecessor.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
Cowboy

InkerSaint wrote:First post, duplicate subject on a day where there has already been a bit of tiresome Lyon-sledging.

Maybe it's just not your lucky day.

For the record, I think you're being very uncharitable on Rossy. I'd go so far as to credit him for highlighting the problem in the first place.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/s ... 12058.html
During the week, coach Ross Lyon publicly blamed poor management — rather than bad luck — for the injury troubles that have continued this season. It was an unusual admission for an AFL coach, in a culture that eschews the idea of blaming anything or anyone else.

It also appeared on one level to point an accusing finger at past administrations at St Kilda, and could have been interpreted as the football equivalent of the government that comes to power, only to announce the discovery of a black hole in the budget created by its dastardly predecessor.
Whatever.........I'm just glad we have David Misson on our side.

saintlee
Club Player

Re: Who has been the most instrumental in St kilda's rise?

Cowboy wrote:Ross Lyon or David Misson?

I think that Ross Lyon has done an excellent job however, the main reason behind St kilda's rise is David Misson. I remember in 2005 when St kilda fell in the prelim final and South Melbourne went on to win the premiership, people were saying it was because South had no injuries. In fact most people were saying that it was a football miracle. South made 1 forced change in the last 10 weeks of the 2005 season.

Have a look at our injury list this year. Actually, to be quite frank, there is hardly an injury list to look at. This in itself is a bigger fotball miracle to what Misson achieved in Sydney. :shock: In the last few years, by round 17 St kilda were barely able to pick a fit 22. I remember clearly when we selected injured players to make up the 3 emergencies.

Grant Thomas must be really hurting that it's not him at the helm. I have no doubt that he is happy the Saints are doing well but he must be thinking that it should have been him instead of Lyon.

When we win the premiership in 2 months time, I hope Thomas is at the celebration down at Moorabbin because he initiated this rise to power and he deserves to be part of the celebrations.
Well Mission was brought over from Sydney by RL, that is just one of the reasons RL deserves the credit for St Kilda's rise...

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Cowboy wrote:Whatever.........I'm just glad we have David Misson on our side.
Don't have much to say on the subject all of a sudden?

Lyon/Misson isn't the subject is it? Your real agenda is Lyon/Thomas.

Already done to death. Perform a search and do us all a favour.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:First post, duplicate subject on a day where there has already been a bit of tiresome Lyon-sledging.
How is this Lyon sledging?

matrix
Saintsational Legend

i must get me that IP blocker, so i can post under multiple names 8-)

Cowboy

rodgerfox wrote:
I have no idea. I think paranoia is alive and well on this forum.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

rodgerfox wrote:
I never said that it was.

But, being the Master of Semantics that you are, you'd already know that, wouldn't you Rodg?

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Cowboy wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
I suppose it is because you asked a question regarding Lyon and Misson and then by bringing in the previous coach and his disasterous reign where his incompetence allowed us to have multiple years of tissue injury, you inferred that it hasn't been Lyons coaching but Misson.

Then you again go on about the coach from FOUR seasons ago being the one to somehow take the credit if we win this year.

Inker is correct. It is just another Lyon bashing thread for the Grant Thomas lovers.

Here a tip for free n00b. Thomas failed, and was sacked.

Thomas is gone. Thomas has nothing to do with this current team. Thomas never got the team playing like it is now. Thomas failed in his recruiting and failed in winning a flag.

If (still a very big if, Lyon could be just as big a failure as Thomas, if he doesn't win a flag) Lyon manages to coach us to a flag, Thomas does not deserve any credit and Lyon deserves it all.

As for Thomas - to his credit, he has already acknowledged that Lyon is a better coach than him, and has claimed absolutely no credit for this teams performance.

So enough with the pro Thomas trolling.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Meanwhile our OP has abandoned the subject and is looking for nibbles elsewhere on the forum. :lol:

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Cowboy

joffaboy wrote:
Cowboy wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
I suppose it is because you asked a question regarding Lyon and Misson and then by bringing in the previous coach and his disasterous reign where his incompetence allowed us to have multiple years of tissue injury, you inferred that it hasn't been Lyons coaching but Misson.

Then you again go on about the coach from FOUR seasons ago being the one to somehow take the credit if we win this year.
Inker is correct. It is just another Lyon bashing thread for the Grant Thomas lovers.

Thomas is gone. Thomas has nothing to do with this current team. Thomas never got the team playing like it is now. Thomas failed in his recruiting and failed in winning a flag.

If (still a very big if, Lyon could be just as big a failure as Thomas, if he doesn't win a flag) Lyon manages to coach us to a flag, Thomas does not deserve any credit and Lyon deserves it all.

As for Thomas - to his credit, he has already acknowledged that Lyon is a better coach than him, and has claimed absolutely no credit for this teams performance.

You really have some nerve don't you? If this was a newspaper I would seriously consider taking you to court!!! Please tell me where in my post I said Thomas should take the credit?????????

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Cowboy wrote:
its been FOUR YEARS!

CaptainRiewoldt
Club Player

The reasons are many but it is ROSS LYON who set it up.

Recycled players (6 top 22)
Great rookies (jones, eddy, dawson)
Fitness staff
Assistant coaches - leigh tudor, sos

this is why we are now number 1. These variables have all skyrocketed.

Luck or great planning from the great man?? you could say a bit of both.

What else has changed is LYON the game plan obviously but the players arent what youd expect. No room for fiora types. Blake, Baker, Macqualter these players seen as b-graders ... to LYON are seen as flag players!! He uses them perfectly!

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:
Cowboy wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:

Wow didn't know that. If it's true that's very humble of him and has to earn some respect for him.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

I would think it's probably not the bass player or the drummer, they're usually not that instrumental, so it's probably the guitarist.

If not, then it's probably the coaching staff and the players.........

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

CaptainReiwoldt wrote:The reasons are many but it is ROSS LYON who set it up.

Recycled players (6 top 22)
Great rookies (jones, eddy, dawson)
Fitness staff
Assistant coaches - leigh tudor, sos
Isn't the whole point of a 'professional footy department' that Lyon doesn't look after these areas? And that all he has to worry about is coaching?

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

rodgerfox wrote:Isn't the whole point of a 'professional footy department' that Lyon doesn't look after these areas? And that all he has to worry about is coaching?
Well you sure seem to have a LOT of questions dodgyflog, endless questions. That and one line retorts that don't address the questions asked of you.
How about you share an opinion with the cretins oh great and wise one. After all, you labelled Ross Lyon as a woeful coach in his first year (or words to that effect, let's not waste everyone's time splitting hairs over your exact words, one of your favourite tricks), so why don't you share some of your great knowledge of coaching with the cretins. After all, Ross Lyon has only got an AFL team to a 17-0 record, that pales against your mighty intellect.

Why don't you tell us what the chief responsibilities are for a modern AFL coach? Define the scope, activities and key goals for the job for the less fortunate of us on the good ship SS.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
claystreet
Club Player

Its all cloke and dagger with you aint it Rog?
smoke and mirrors Rog eh

:wink:

bozza1980
Club Player

It's an interesting question, a bit like which came first the chicken or the egg??

They are both playing a fantastic part in what has so far been a fantastic season.

I think though at the end of the day, that coaching still has a greater input. Having your players available helps immeasurably but poor coaching but fantastic injury management still gets you nowhere.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

InkerSaint wrote:
Cowboy wrote:Whatever.........I'm just glad we have David Misson on our side.
Don't have much to say on the subject all of a sudden?

Lyon/Misson isn't the subject is it? Your real agenda is Lyon/Thomas.

Already done to death. Perform a search and do us all a favour.
Since you're still posting on this thread Cowboy...

And since you started the discussion...

Care to respond?

Is this, or is this not, a discussion about Lyon vs. Misson?

As far as I can see it is not.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Cowboy wrote:Ross Lyon or David Misson?.
Well that can only have one answer....as Lyon brought about Misson coming to St Kilda. Lyon.

Lyon on arriving at the saints realised that we were missing "meat and potatoes" and demanded that the Board do something about it.

This led to Ross Smith (club legend and sports scientist)being approach to investigate what was wrong and what needed to be done to fix things.
This led to a raft of appointments including Misson but not limited to him. Also secured was the Olympic Team Doctor, a physio from Melbourne Victory and a few others...

Lyon knowing and having worked with Misson at Sydney no doubt assisted as well.

Add to this:
* superior trading
* a coach that has innovated a new way of playing to give us an edge
* a coach that has been DEVELOPING players

And it is pretty clear that Lyon is the key man in our recent success.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....