We have lost the "people's second team" tag!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Solar
Saintsational Legend

We have lost the "people's second team" tag!

Found it interesting at a pub in melbourne last night we had a couple of people actually support AGAINST stkilda. They clapped when roo missed, roared when the swans hit the front and one guy actually looked dirty at the result (not a swans supporter). Made the game more fun, people aren't likeing us anymore :D

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
ace
Saintsational Legend

It is called FEAR

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
claystreet
Club Player

As a Carlscum supporter at my work said this week
qoute I am just sick and tired of hearing about St Kilda winning"

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

A Hawks supporter walked into the pub last night just before the game and called out, "hands up if you're sick of St Kilda"

He was met with a wall of glares as we had a bit of a contingent.

He was also conspicuously absent this afternoon. Gutless wonder.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

Speaking to a dogs fan today, he said he cant wait till we choke, nice

Before Im 85
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

it's natural for a team that hasn't lost, for people watching a game where they could lose to barrack for the other team.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

These are signs that we (St Kilda) are now being FEARED and/or RESPECTED. We should ALL take this as a compliment to OUR TEAM !!

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

"peoples second team" St Kilda? Since when?

That has always been reserved for duds like Fitzroy and Footscray.

We are St Kilda.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
SaintWodonga
Club Player

We haven't won a flag in 43 years, still reckon that makes us under dogs. Swines won a couple of years ago, not sure why people turn.

Best thing we can do from here is win the cup!

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Yes I agree, everyone wants to bring us down. Was talking to a lady the other day and she was saying how much she hated Riewoldt. I asked he why and she said she didn't like the look on his face. :roll:

Qld Saints Supporter Group
asiu

everywhere i go , i call him the 'white prince'

opposition supporters choke on their pent up desire to bag him , but the sad nuffies have no comeback

(luckily for them ....... coz i'm waiting for some sport :) )

TriColourDisciple
Club Player

My wife and kids were at the P!NK concert on Saturday night, so for something to do, I went to the 'G to watch the Coll/Bris game. (yes, I know, I know)
Every time the score from the SCG came on the big screen & the Swines were in front, there were cheers from both camps.

Proudly Brainwashed since 1972
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Who has a 'second team' anyway? What a lame concept. Sure, there's teams I like more than others, but does a second team suggest you're hedging you bets on a merger of your chose club with Collingwood, or just that you need someone to support if your team doesn't make the finals?

Funny, I always thought that the Saints were a reasonably inoffensive team...not that successful, but bag loads of character and some of the greatest players to ever pull on a jumper. But I've encountered some very bitter sentiment against the Saints since 2004 that realy surprised me. I'm glad we're sticking it up lame 'second team' supporters country wide.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Breaking news - AFL supporters divided on adoption of St Kilda as "2nd side"

A number of Essendon fans last night abandoned their finals hopes and declared their preference for St Kilda to win the flag.

The general sentiment is that Geelong are still too arrogant. Essendon supporters in particular (the ones I know at least) would happily begrudge the Saints a flag, given that they have so many themselves.

I wouldn't expect the same endorsements from Hawthorn or Collingwood supporters. That's H for Hubris and C for Conceit. Ironically the Carlton supporters have already abandoned their claims for this year and readily admit they are just making up the numbers, quite a relief as they were close to unbearable until the crushing loss to Essendon.

Haven't seen my Footscray mates lately but I daresay they don't fancy their chances after last week's drubbing. They tend to empathise with us given the similar premiership drought between the two teams. I expect them to hop on the bandwagon if they don't make it through the finals... I'll probably do the same for them.

I know 1 (one) Adelaide supporter. He's a good sort but I haven't canvassed him on the subject as I assume that all interstaters know nothing about football and only barrack for an AFL team because of hometown allegiance.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
degruch
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:...as I assume that all interstaters know nothing about football and only barrack for an AFL team because of hometown allegiance.
Hmmm. :roll:

Milton66
SS Life Member

Typical Aussie tall poppy attitude.

We love the underdog, as long as they don't become more successful than us.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
spert
Saintsational Legend

Who cares..all I want is the 2009 premiership in St. Kilda hands and rest of the nuff-nuffs can go jump.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

degruch wrote:
InkerSaint wrote:...as I assume that all interstaters know nothing about football and only barrack for an AFL team because of hometown allegiance.
You don't count, degruch. By virtue of your excellent taste in football teams you obviously appreciate the game at a deeper level. ;)

As opposed to my old man who rang me up from NSW at half-time on Saturday night to give me a ribbing. His only emotional investment in the AFL is courtesy of his native state's "token" side.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:
degruch wrote:
You don't count, degruch. By virtue of your excellent taste in football teams you obviously appreciate the game at a deeper level. ;)

As opposed to my old man who rang me up from NSW at half-time on Saturday night to give me a ribbing. His only emotional investment in the AFL is courtesy of his native state's "token" side.
Oh, why thankyou. :D

I wasn't the least bit interested in jumping ship for the Weagles when a WA team came onboard (bein' a Sandgroper originally), like my old man did to his North Melbourne allegance (which he only had because of Barry Cable and Keith Greig anyway). In that respect, I agree, there's a lot of them out there...but how do you pick a team anyway?

asiu

feelings...

only other side i have any feelings for are the doggies

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Saint Bev wrote:Yes I agree, everyone wants to bring us down. Was talking to a lady the other day and she was saying how much she hated Riewoldt. I asked he why and she said she didn't like the look on his face. :roll:

then she was no lady.... :twisted:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

gazrat wrote:feelings...

my feelings for the 15 other sides goes from dislike through contempt to outright hatred..........

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Garibaldi
Club Player

InkerSaint wrote:
degruch wrote:

Australian rules has been played in NSW longer than Rugby league. SA and Wa have Australian Rules competitions that are older than me. Theres historical reference to a team from Fremantle playing in the Eastern states in the 1800's(probably went home without a win).
Half of victoria moved to Queensland.
The other half cant be trusted with a box of matches.
On top of that one of the teams with the biggest fan base is Collingwood and you mouth on about which state knows football.
:wink:

boo effin hoo
asiu

my feelings for the 15 other sides goes from dislike through contempt to outright hatred..........

i haven't quite figured out what it is , but theres somesting deep inside that statement that impresses me :lol: :lol:

whats it like being a year closer to 90 ya testy old bugger ?

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
gazrat wrote:feelings...

I have some sympathy for the fans of all other AFL teams. I appreciate that they all get out of bed on game day hoping (often against hope) that their team can lift its performance and win and thereby stop them from suffering for at least this week.

However, on every occasion their team plays mine I want them to suffer, suffer, suffer.....

That said, I'm with gaz. You've gotta have a soft spot for the Doggies: footy battlers from the wrong end of town who struggle on without much help from anyone and whose players and officials have to put up a coach who is one of the most disagreeable human beings on the planet!!

And - while I'm not crazy about the teams - I rather liked the way that the Kangas played the game in the 1990s and Brisbane played the game in the early 2000s.

And that's about it, really. The only reason I can tolerate the continued existence of the other clubs is because we need them for the comp.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift