Doubts on Montagna

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Doubts on Montagna

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/ ... 42,00.html

ST KILDA is hopeful it will have ruckmen Steven King and Michael Gardiner fit to to play Hawthorn in Launceston on Saturday. The match looms as the Saints' biggest remaining hurdle between them and a perfect AFL season.

Gardiner is a chance to return after missing three games with a corked calf, while King suffered a dislocated shoulder in Saturday night's one-point win over Sydney at the SCG, but had the joint popped in and returned to the field.

"He went back out there and played after a dislocated shoulder, and he's OK, but he'll be assessed during the week," Saints football manager Greg Hutchison said on Monday.

"(Gardiner) should be OK, but he has got two training sessions to get through yet."

Having posted 18 successive victories, the Saints' backline will also be bolstered by the likely return of fullback Zac Dawson, who has served a two-game suspension.

Hutchison said club stalwarts Luke Ball (chest) and Matt Maguire (hamstring tightness), who experienced setbacks in the VFL on the weekend, had recovered well.

But they too would be monitored during the week.

But he was unsure over the condition of midfielder Leigh Montagna, who had his elbow strapped in the game against the Swans, before he kicked the winning behind.

Another win would give St Kilda 19 straight victories, and leave just four sides above them on the table of the league's greatest winning streaks.

The match against Hawthorn, who are 10th and need to win to stay in the finals race, looms as the toughest the Saints will encounter in their bid to become only the second team in history to win every game in a home-and-away season.

The Saints play Essendon (ninth), North Melbourne (14th) and Melbourne (last) in the final three rounds.

Collingwood's 1929 side is the only one to have won every game in a season, but that was an 18-round season and the Magpies lost a final, although they recovered to win the premiership.

The record winning streak is 23 games, held by Geelong spanning the 1952-53 seasons.

Three other teams - Collingwood (1928-29), Essendon (2000) and the Brisbane Lions (2001-02) - won 20 matches in succession.

Victory over the reigning premiers Hawthorn will draw the Saints level with Melbourne's 1955-56 achievement in winning 19 games on end.

Another opportunity awaits!
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Joey did have his arm is a 'pressure sock' when we ran into him on Saturday night after the game.

He might just be the next key player that will be rested due to some general soreness.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

looms as the toughest the Saints will encounter in their bid to become only the second team in history to win every game in a home-and-away season.
I think our bid is to actually win our 2nd flag..but anyway :roll:

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
AP Erebus
Club Player

saint66au wrote:
looms as the toughest the Saints will encounter in their bid to become only the second team in history to win every game in a home-and-away season.
Thats clearly the wrong attitude!

22-0 is clearly more important than a premiership.

it has been around this time that "Kosi" will headbutt a fence, rip a hamstring or belt someone.
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

According to 'On The Couch', Joey's hand was x-rayed and given the all clear, but I wouldn't be surprised if he sits this one out.

The win against Sydney may have come at a cost and our line-up against the Hawks might be the most under-manned we have been this year. I would love to see us go all the way undefeated as much as the next Saints fan, but I could handle a loss or two now, instead of come finals time.

Enough of the nice men in suits. Bring in some admin who demand success!
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

AP Erebus wrote:
saint66au wrote:
Thats clearly the wrong attitude!

22-0 is clearly more important than a premiership.
25 zip will do it for me.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell