Saints pumped up for the Hawks...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Saints pumped up for the Hawks...

I have a feeling that our players will be really pumped up to do well against the Hawks this week.

The games that our players seem most fired up for this year seem to be those teams that they believe are "challengers".

Of late the Cats, Dogs and Crows have all felt their wrath.....and The Hawks will be next.

I fully expect to see our best possible team picked...and to see the boys really pumped up on match day.

That the Hawks knocked us out last year will heighten the intensity a notch or two IMO...

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Leo.J
SS Life Member

Well they are the reigning premiers still...

It will also be our last decent test before the finals.

The others might give us a bit of trouble but provided we turn up switched on we should win.

The Hawks will be a real challenge, especially on a ground that we've struggled on in the past.

Launcestonsaint
SS Life Member
Location: Watching our games on tele or listening to the radio :(

We haven't played here for a few years & we might have different ideas on how to play the ground & opposition.

St Kilda's 2 premiership captains are Tassie born. The Doc & Roo.
Moods
Saintsational Legend

I'm hoping a bigger ground will be to our advantage. We are far more organised this year at stoppages, so if we win these and get the ball down quickly to Roo and Kosi in space we should be okay. The hawks are undermanned down there and really only have Gilham (who has missed a lot of footy with injury)

I agree SR - the boys only seem to get pumped up for the games where they believe they are being challenged. Funny thing is, reading b/w the lines, Lyon appeared to use reverse psychology with them at 3/4 time against the doggies - basically saying ' look if we lose, no-one would blame you.' THis appeared to fire the boys up more, as if to suggest that no way are we going to lose to ANYONE who is a genuine challenger.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

we're coming off a very tough game, playing another tough team fighting for survival (the defending premier no less), in a ground we play poorly at - another one point win would make me very happy!
i felt more confident (much more) of doing over the cats in rnd 14!
c'mon sainters!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
degruch
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:we're coming off a very tough game, playing another tough team fighting for survival (the defending premier no less), in a ground we play poorly at - another one point win would make me very happy!
c'mon sainters!
At least we have one thing in our favour...the Hawks are pretty average. They sure aren't the team of last year. No doubt, most of us are expecting a close one...I hope we can throw a bucket of water over the Hawks for '09.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

desertsaint wrote:we're coming off a very tough game, playing another tough team fighting for survival (the defending premier no less), in a ground we play poorly at - another one point win would make me very happy!
c'mon sainters!
Teams that have everything to lose are arguable the most dangerous at this stage of the year. The Swine threw absolutely everything at us and it looks like we have quite a few sore boys to show for it. Hawthorn will be no different, plus that's two interstate trips for us back-to-back.

Then we have an equally desperate Essendon outfit!

If anything, I fear the safety of our boys. But, it's arguable the preparation we need to have, as this is the kind of pressure we'll endure come finals time...and then some!

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

SydneySainter wrote:Hawthorn will be no different, plus that's two interstate trips for us back-to-back.
It's two interstate trips back-to-back for Hawthorn too, plus they just played a desperate Port who threw everything at them to keep their finals hopes alive. Level pegging I say, but with our defense miles ahead of theirs, we should be considered the better team.

Having said all this, there was nothing more certain in this world than the Saints rolling the Dawks by 40 points in last years prelim...so I have been wrong...occasionally. :wink:

widereceiver
Club Player

We were never going to beat the Orks in last year's prelim IMO. What gives me hope about this week, injuries notwithstanding, is the pride of the team. They will know we have beaten every team but one this year.

I hate the farkin' Orks, and as H & A games go, this is the biggest match of the year for me.

Having said that, I want the big prize that's less than eight weeks away if we're good enough.

"Winning's not everything, it's the ONLY thing!" Vince Lombardi.
Sam Gilbert #1 booster - always on the attack!!!
Win more for Winmar
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

They were the last team to beat us, so I guess we have something to prove. I would relax more if I knew they were out of contention completely. You never know what they might do on their day ('08GF an example). Let's end their season and give them a bit of payback for all the agony they've caused us since 1971!

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
degruch
Saintsational Legend

widereceiver wrote:Having said that, I want the big prize that's less than eight weeks away if we're good enough.
Just call me greedy...I want both!

I'd like to know how anyone picked the Dawks to win last years prelim, especially since they'd been our whipping boys for nearly 10 years, not to mention a 6 goal pantsing only weeks before. I thought Dermott had lost the plot with his 70 point prediction, but obviously everyone else saw something in that average array of over-hyped under-achievers that I didn't. This year they've lived up to their true potential so far. :twisted:

Young Georgie
Club Player

White Winmar wrote:They were the last team to beat us, so I guess we have something to prove. I would relax more if I knew they were out of contention completely. You never know what they might do on their day ('08GF an example). Let's end their season and give them a bit of payback for all the agony they've caused us since 1971!
Unleash the Blake :twisted:

Graceful, elusive, strong overhead and no Easybeat!
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Young Georgie wrote:
White Winmar wrote:They were the last team to beat us, so I guess we have something to prove. I would relax more if I knew they were out of contention completely. You never know what they might do on their day ('08GF an example). Let's end their season and give them a bit of payback for all the agony they've caused us since 1971!
Didn't he kick 3 goals in a cameo forward appearance when we rolled them during last years H&A win?

Gabba
SS Hall of Fame

The only team we haven't beaten this H&W season!

matrix
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
Young Georgie wrote:
Didn't he kick 3 goals in a cameo forward appearance when we rolled them during last years H&A win?
aye
when he was thrown into the ruck
best bit of footy ive seen him play...he just gave it all and went for it.

only thing im worried about is bruised and battered bodies going into finals...like others said, hawks and bombers...this is the last roll of the dice.

they will hit us hard.

<< preys to injury gods to shine elsewhere for the next two and a bit months