Brace yourselves Saints fans....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Brace yourselves Saints fans....

...can you handle the pressure of being the hunted?

Sounds silly to suggest that as a supporter, you need to be able to handle pressure. But it's true.

It's easy following a club that has no hope. You rock up each week with nothing to lose, and if you get a win then that's just a bonus! You generally get the support and sympathy of the footy world - cause you're not a threat to them.

But the landscape has changed.

Pretty much, the entire footy world is collectively barracking against us now.
The Essendons, Brisbanes, Hawthorns and Geelongs can't bear the thought of us going undefeated and laying strong claims to being 'the best team ever'.
Carlton and Collingwood can't stand the thought of the St Kilda Football Club being being successful full stop.
The Bulldogs and Sydney only have one flag each also. The thought of us getting the 2nd one and leaving them at the tail with Freo horrifies them.

We're on our own now.

The media want a loss. Opposition supporters desperately want a loss. And naturally our opponents want a loss too.

As Saints fans, can we handle it?

I've read a couple of threads on various sites, and the question was even raised on a footy show last night..."Who has more to lose this year? Geelong or the Saints?"

This is a question that really, not that surprisingly, gets more response from Saints than anyone else. And I think it's because alot of Saints fans are finding this situation difficult. They're feeling the pressure.

But I don't see it that way at all.

This season is an opportunity to succeed. Not to fail.

Who has more to gain from a Grand Final win? Geelong or the Saints?

We do!

We are in a situation that only one other club in the history of the sport has been in - the situation where we have the opportunity to be undefeated all year!!

We have the opportunity to succeed. We have the opportunity to lay claims to being the best side ever.

We have the opportunity this year, to win the flag!

So Saints fans, don't even consider what we have to lose. That's loser talk. It's what we have to gain that needs to be focussed on!

Don't resent other clubs and the media for willing us to lose. Enjoy it.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

MODS!

Somebody has hijacked rodgerfox's account. Please act immediately.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:MODS!

Somebody has hijacked rodgerfox's account. Please act immediately.
I'm beginning to feel like I've woken up in an alternate universe.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

That post should be a banner headline when you log on here

The single-best thing you have ever written on here Rodg..

We as Saints fans need to drink a big cup of harden the f*** up and realise that we are indeed the hunted now, that other teams fans are willing us to lose

The next 8 weeks will be the most intense footballing times Ive experienced in over 40 years of following this team. Theres so, so, so much to win if it all goes right..and much as theres precious little to suggest right now that it wont...AFL football is a very very cruel game to play, and just as cruel to follow

So...toughen up and strap yourselves in folks, we are one of the big boys now and we have to adopt the swagger that goes with it

BELIEVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
jk23
Club Player

I am sick of everyone saying to me we need to have a loss before the finals............ no way , winners are grinners ,,, keep on breaking records boys, it is our time!!!!!!!!

bozza1980
Club Player

jk23 wrote:I am sick of everyone saying to me we need to have a loss before the finals............ no way , winners are grinners ,,, keep on breaking records boys, it is our time!!!!!!!!
I'm with you, the whole need to lose thing is ridiculous.

It's an oxymoron which basically says if you can't lose you can't win the premiership.

mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

A good post and a great point to make.
We ARE in an alternative universe just look at the ladder .....

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

We may be on our own, but personally I don't feel like sharing anyhow 8-)

StSteven
Club Player

Records mean ZILCH. Lose the flag and we have done nothing. As finals approach the nerves are red raw. The intensity will be enormous. It is already building up.

markp
Saintsational Legend

The last man is on the bandwagon.... let's roll :twisted:

It's amusing that they hate us.... sat next to a bombers fan at the game who told me before it started that he was going for the underdogs (Swans), but that he'd like to see the Saints win the flag.... this was evidently bollocks, as throughout the game he supported with the vigour of a man who had a major emotional stake in it, and likely hates the opposition to it's core.

This team is destined for greatness.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Re: Brace yourselves Saints fans....

[quote="rodgerfox

The Bulldogs and Sydney only have one flag each also. The thought of us getting the 2nd one and leaving them at the tail with Freo horrifies them.

[[/quote]

Hate to be pedantic, but the swans have won two flags - unless we're scrapping their flag from the 1930's because they were known as Sth Melbourne and not Sydney :lol:

I know plenty of footy followers who would love us to win it this year. In fact every one I speak to says they would love the saints to win it if their team doesn't.

In my opinion we are still well and truly the publics choice for a flag, and if we're lucky enough to make it, I think you'll find that 70% of the ground will be barracking for the saints - even if we play Collingwood! Yes other clubs are desperate to knock us off, so in that sense we definitely are the hunted. Everyone wants to lay claim as breaking our streak. Ppl still remember the bullies winning against the bombers back in 2000. IN terms of sentimental favourite I reckon it's definitely us, with the bullies second. Most ppl believe that we deserve it more than the bullies this year though.

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

At last. For weeks, the only serious, reasonable and well summarised post we have gottwen from you Rog is your eagerly anticipated Fox Report.

Good to see you transfer that remarkable talent into something more constructive.

Totally agree with everything you have said. Great post and now we begin.

Let season 2009 commence!

bigred
Saintsational Legend

This season is an opportunity to succeed. Not to fail.
Quoted for truth.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
saintly
Saintsational Legend

StSteven wrote:Records mean ZILCH. Lose the flag and we have done nothing. As finals approach the nerves are red raw. The intensity will be enormous. It is already building up.
thats what i'm afraide of. yes enjoying th eseason so far, but jeepers. don't make the grand final , don't win the flag. the let down will be so huge, that it will be hard to take

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Great Post - Thoroughly enjoyed the read

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

I cant handle the pressure - I'm off to support Richmond. :roll:

What pressure???

Its only bloody football for christs sake.

Can we handle the pressure :roll: :roll:

Whats happens if we dont win the Grand Final? The sun comes up the following day, life goes on.

Fair Dinkum, you people need to get some perspective.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Premiers2009
Club Player

there is a big difference between being hunted, and just being hated.

cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:I cant handle the pressure - I'm off to support Richmond. :roll:

What pressure???

Whats happens if we dont win the Grand Final? The sun comes up the following day, life goes on.

That's not the saintsational trademark. Back to the Zebras forum for you. 8-)

(Even though I doubt that my actions will influence many of the outcomes I did like the OP and the sentiments)

Darrel Baldock
Club Player

Roger has had a moment. We should be happy for him. He may now begin wearing a Saints scarf to the game because he is a believer. However the opportunity to go undefeated all year is not the prize. It is a record which will count for nothing unless that final game is won. If we lose on the way to winning that final prize what does it matter that we lost a game on the way? That is the only pressure here. Opposition supporters wanting us to lose our 100% record but still hoping we will win the flag is a variation of the tall poppy syndrome that has long been part of the Australian psyche. They want the underdog to win but not get too cocky in the process. There is nothing paradoxical about that. We should feel no pressure from this. We simply need to win enough games to secure top spot, which will give us the best of all possible runs into the finals. An undefeated record on the way to a Premiership is a mere cherry on top of the cake and not really that important. Still good for bragging rights though and I for one am becoming quite accustomed to winning. I like it.

Ian Cooper was too thin
Premiers2009
Club Player

nice one darrel. this is the beginning of a new dynasty, a good run. historically this team will go down in history year-in year-out. 22-0 would not only be a H&A record it would be the second most consecutive wins. this team wants to win 25-0 and believe that they can. that's good enough for me and should be good enough for everyone.

yipper
SS Life Member

Well I am lovin it. And you're right Joffa - it is only footy!! But footy in this once great city of ours is life. If we don't win the flag, yes the sun will still come up the next day - but we will be so shattered. But we will live to fight another day.

I am lovin the excitement, the pressure is certainly building and we are on a mission. Are you actually lovin being a saints supporter these days Rodg??

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
markp
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:I cant handle the pressure - I'm off to support Richmond. :roll:

What pressure???

Maybe it's the first card in a three card trick.........

Perhaps rodge expects we'll lose against the hawks, then he'll be able to ramp up the anxiety and ruin the fun for a few mugs.

I'm with you though.... it's been a great ride and I cant wait for the finals, come what may.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
Perhaps rodge expects we'll lose against the hawks, then he'll be able to ramp up the anxiety and ruin the fun for a few mugs.
This thread wasn't about going undefeated, or losing this week, or any of that.

It's simply to highlight that as the finals approach, a feeling of uneasiness sets in amongst Saints fans. It's a different situation to what any of us have been through since 1997.

We're the hunted. And most of the football world want us to fail. As fans, I was just offering an alternative mindset to focus on instead of going down the 'we have so much to lose' path, or the 'we'll be the laughing stock if we lose it from here' path.

It's like the player who takes a grab 40m out directly in front, and the final siren goes with his team 5 points down.
Does he think 'sh*t, what if I miss this in front of all these people and lose the game for us?'.
Or does he think 'you beauty. Time to make a hero of myself in front of all these people and win the game for us!'

The bloke with the second mindset will kick far more than the bloke with the first mindset.

Not that as supporters our mindsets matter for much, but it will certainly make the next 2 months much more enjoyable as a fan to be thinking like the second bloke.

choowy09

Great report Foxxy, i knew you had it in you.

Believe or Burn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

markp
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
markp wrote:
This thread wasn't about going undefeated, or losing this week, or any of that.

It's simply to highlight that as the finals approach, a feeling of uneasiness sets in amongst Saints fans. It's a different situation to what any of us have been through since 1997.

We're the hunted. And most of the football world want us to fail. As fans, I was just offering an alternative mindset to focus on instead of going down the 'we have so much to lose' path, or the 'we'll be the laughing stock if we lose it from here' path.

It's like the player who takes a grab 40m out directly in front, and the final siren goes with his team 5 points down.
Does he think 'sh*t, what if I miss this in front of all these people and lose the game for us?'.
Or does he think 'you beauty. Time to make a hero of myself in front of all these people and win the game for us!'

The bloke with the second mindset will kick far more than the bloke with the first mindset.

Not that as supporters our mindsets matter for much, but it will certainly make the next 2 months much more enjoyable as a fan to be thinking like the second bloke.
I agree with all that.... but in the past I have dreaded that audible gasp that used to go around the ground if we were in front and being challenged late in a game, as if to say "Oh no, here we go again", I'm sure it infected the players.... it would seem those days are thankfully gone.
Last edited by markp on Tue 04 Aug 2009 12:17pm, edited 1 time in total.