Ross Lyon = Genius

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Batnoe

Ross Lyon = Genius

First off, i really wanted to go through season undefeated. However if we did get to the GF and hadn't lost or lost in the prelim final, what type of laughing stock would we be and labelled with the extra pressure on going through undefeated?

By throwing a game (literally) He is taking all the pressure off us for the finals and going through undefeated as then we can through without the hype of the 'perfect season'

The term resting players is a funny topic. The difference between us and Geelong is that we are doing it with 3 weeks to go. Geelong did it with 8 weeks to go. By the time the finals start the players need another rest so in waiting an extra 5 weeks we will be over our little niggles.

Playing the reserves is also a great move. We have Hayes, Riewoldt, Montagna, Dal Santo, Goddard, S Fisher, Gilbert, Baker to come back in so that means 7 of the current team will have to bust their gut to get a chance in the finals. Coupled with the fact that our stars will be primed for action

So is he a genius or smartarse? I think he's a genius and is going a long way in getting our second flag ( i just genuinally hope that these injuries are just niggles and not something we need to be concerned about. The fact that we have made 2 more changes means we are resting players as apposed to having injuries

Things i would like to see. Dawson in the forward line
A forward line of Kosi, Gardiner, Milne Schneider Dawson is still very dangerous

Our weakest line is the middle. We will finally get to see MCQ get a full game in the middle (where we originally drafted him to play)

But a midfield of Ball, Ray, Gram Jones MCQ, Armo, Steven - Although young are all hard and tough (Gram and Ray the exceptions so we can still give our forwards first use

Go Saints

MCQ will be played in the middle

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Agree entirely. Love the fact the hawks will be causing havoc with the minds of these mentally weak sides in the 8. However we don't fear anyone at Moorabbin

Would throw another name into the genius ring also

Dave Mission

Bring back the Lockett era
Batnoe

Add to that we are tweaking or will have to tweak with players in different positions right before the finals (hence if a player goes down we will know who can cover their rightful position)

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Agree with both these posts EXCEPT I don't think we will lose tomorrow. Could happen, but for some reason, I just don't think so. Tomorrow is going to be an absolutely fantastic game and once again the club will stand up to the intense scrutiny and spotlight that has come down on them this week. All eyes will be on this game tomorrow.

You just have to love being a Saints supporter right now..... :D

Fortius Quo Fidelius
AP Erebus
Club Player

I'm yet to be convinced that we are throwing this game...

I still think we are going to win.

I watched most of the Hawthorn game last week and they were NOT good.

We are easily better than them and I expect nothing less than a 3+ goal win

it has been around this time that "Kosi" will headbutt a fence, rip a hamstring or belt someone.
Joffa 5
Club Player

I'm hoping the guys playing aren't going to get their noses out of joint because they weren't included in the group that was rested.

66 Saints
Club Player

if we lose, oh well, many players out and reigning premiers playing for spot in finals, yadayadayada...
if we win, self belief and confidence goes through the roof...
how'd you be being a hawks midfielder coming up against Ball and Armo chumping at the bit? it could hurt...

saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

I think Leigh Tudor had some input in this decision as well, maybe he seen something in us that he seen in Geelong last year

Before Im 85
PJ
SS Life Member

If there's one thing to say about the saints this years it's we're not about stars. Team is the focus and will continue to be on saturday. Ross and his crew will set the structure and patterns of play and all will be expected to follow the team ethos - play or pay. Yes he is a very smart man and I expect nothing but a typical Ross Lyon outfit. Discipline and effort will get us there.

I also think the hawks won't quite know how to play the saints. Everyone comes with the plan to limit Riewoldt, tag Lenny & Monty. Not sure they'll quite know who to plan against. The other thing is being over confident, something I don't expect from the saints.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
iremember66
Club Player

Be interesting to see if the Hawks know how to approach some new (hence unpredictable) players.

I'd be interested to see Nick Heyne come out of the emergency list and have a run - tough nugget as far as I can tell...

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Stkilda's new media release statement-

The StKilda.F.C welcomes Hawthorn as an allie in the 2009 stkilda premiership campaign

Bring back the Lockett era
St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

AP Erebus wrote:I'm yet to be convinced that we are throwing this game...

I still think we are going to win.

I watched most of the Hawthorn game last week and they were NOT good.

We are easily better than them and I expect nothing less than a 3+ goal win
I totally believe this!

I also made the time to watch the Hawks game...they were lame! AND they have played this way most of this season! So why change? Who'll be more determined? A Hawks side chasing a win to make the eight? OR a Saints side loaded with players wanting to make an impact?? I choose the latter! Bring it on! Smash the daylights out of these mothers and bring the tally to 19 straight!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Not a doubt in my mind! I dare say, that same sentiment rings true with the players in the squad!

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
Premiers2009
Club Player

colm begley will kick ten (10). :lol:

SaintWodonga
Club Player

Premiers2009 wrote:colm begley will kick ten (10). :lol:
He's not playing... Is he?

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
markp
Saintsational Legend

I'm happy.... we're all but guaranteed top spot, and resting players with niggles now will mean we can bring them all back in for (let's face it) the training drill in round 22.... it throws open those last few spots in our finals side for whoever can step up too.

This selected side is still capable of beating most teams out there IMO, and the hawks have been fairly ordinary for much of this season.... bring it on.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

i have just slapped a 50 on us for a win.

get on

#1 Ryder fan
SaintAndrew
Club Player

I think we have a good fighting chance to win the game.

With the limited oppurtunities for young players to get a game, I expect the youngsters playing will want to prove their ability to coaches and selectors.

I'm really looking forward to the game. I think everyone in the team will step up and go hard at it.

I'm confident. I'm putting $100 on the saints.

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

we will win, and it is a smart decision to rest the players.

RL is a smart cookie

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Would love to win, but I'm not too worried if we don't...yet I'm absolutely dying for the match to come around and to see what our players can do.

This week has been BRILLIANTLY played out be Lyon.

If we lose, the positives are that we've put a really important 120 minutes into some players who badly needed a run AND we've rested players who badly needed a rest. And it will kill the we-need-to-lose theorists.

If we win, it's another four points, the above still applies and the theorists can jump into a shallow pool filled with Moorabbin mud.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

claystreet
Club Player

Ross aint throwing this game
hes showing us all just how good his backup players are.

Nothing wrong with the ins.

GO SAINTS!!!!!

starsign
Club Player

Joffa 5 wrote:I'm hoping the guys playing aren't going to get their noses out of joint because they weren't included in the group that was rested.
they wouldn't want to play like they had there noses out of joint or they could be getting their rest during the finals!!

Schillaci
Club Player

There is a lot to like about Ross Lyon.

A loss tomorrow with a two game buffer and percentage on second won't hurt with games against Essendon, Roos and Dees to play in the H & A.
The rest the guns will get this close to the finals may prove crucial in September.

Personally I couldn't give a stuff about the streak and thankfully the Brains Trust doesn't either.

Whilst I don't subscribe to the "Gotta have a Loss" theory that some in the media and other footy forums believe in, a loss will at least put a stop to that BS talk about added pressure going into a GF undefeated.

The match tomorrow poses as a 50/50 chance now for mine.
Will be a sweet feeling if we win, that's for sure.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

MC Gusto wrote:i have just slapped a 50 on us for a win.

get on
Steady on there! If you're not careful they'll suspend betting again.

saint3d
Club Player

claystreet wrote:Ross aint throwing this game
hes showing us all just how good his backup players are.

Nothing wrong with the ins.

GO SAINTS!!!!!
QFT

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

No genius just what any coach with a brain would do. God e overate anyone to do with the Saints.