What did Lyon learn ?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

aussiejones
Club Player

What did Lyon learn ?

What did Lyon learn from yesterday ?

matrix
Saintsational Legend

ask him......

mullet
Saintsational Legend

Not so much what he learned, I reckon it may have confirmed a few things that he already knew :roll:

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

That Bally probably remains a concern

That the tall backline schtick is cumbersome and slow

That Mini and CJ are guns

That tackles need to stick

That teams prepared to take on our back half can find a way through.

That Kosi can and will stand up if Roo is flat or well held

That rested/tapered/papering players can't just switch on when all of sudden they are no longer resting or tapering

That Fisher is probably best left at CHB or thereabouts

That his team will never give up, even when things are crook in Tobruk

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: What did Lyon learn ?

1) that you can't win if you are smashed in the midfield (though i think he already knows that).

2) that cj's pace and run and mcqualter's forward pressure are very important to us (which he already knows).

3) that if you are just 2 per cent off in your intensity and your opponent has come to play you might be in trouble (this he knows this as well).

4) that our glut of tall defenders might rob us of run out of the backline.

5) that we need gilbert back to his best form for the finals.

saintlee
Club Player

That Essendon played very well, at their peak.

That St Kilda played average, and almost won.

That we lacked intensity until the last quarter, and that we cannot afford to play like that in finals.

aussiejones
Club Player

That tackles must stick

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

aussiejones wrote:That tackles must stick
yep. we had the same problem against them last time, which i remarked on.

from memory i said they're a very quick team and if you can't catch them you can't tackle them. nothing has changed except this time they really made us pay.
Last edited by bigcarl on Mon 17 Aug 2009 1:27pm, edited 1 time in total.

bozza1980
Club Player

True and if we don't get our hands on the ball we can't win.

I do expect that he might have already known that though..

It was a very dissapointing performance an old fashion hiding in the middle. He might have learnt a bit about some of our players, he probably would have liked the never say die attitude in the last quarter that nearly saw us pinch a game we had no right to win.

saintlee
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:
yep. we had the same problem against them last time, which i remarked on. they're a very quick team and if you can't catch them you can't tackle them.
I agree....although we did manage to leave them sore and sorry despite the win....Essendon are damn fast, but they are also fragile....

boneless23
Club Player

1. Dawson, Hudghton, Blake, Fisher, and Gilbert all can't fit in the one back half
2. Ball and Armitage shouldn't both be in the 22
3. Ball is not a Foward flanker
4. CJ and Mini are just as valualbe to this team as Goddard and Montagna

ace
Saintsational Legend

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

aussiejones wrote:What did Lyon learn from yesterday ?
My concern with this is that he didn't seem to learn anything from when we played them earlier in the year. Either that, or he didn't really want to win yesterday, as the "going through the year undefeated" seemed to be getting the better of him.
I don't think he was handling that pressure at all well. Which is a huge shame, because, apart from the fact that losing sucks at any time, we had a golden opportunity to do what had never been done in VFL/AFL history. It's as if they thought that going through undefeated meant having to choose between winning the flag, or going without a loss. They didn't seem to realise that going through undefeated ALSO means you win the GF. If they reckon that means nothing, I believe they're lying to themselves.
As if they would rather lose a game/games during the year, than win the flag and not lose a game for the year! I don't think a lot of them had the guts to face the prospect, but that's done now.
We had the exact same problems with Essendon earlier in the year (from Watson getting 39 and 37 possies, their midfield dominating, to their speed running rings around us) and they obviously got an enormous amount of confidence from that effort. Yet we picked one of our slowest teams of the year. We didn't seem to learn anything from when they pushed us earlier in the year. Either that, or they didn't bother to implement it, because sub-consciously (or even consciously) they weren't handling the "pressure" of going through undefeated and wanted to get that "monkey" off their back.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Solar
Saintsational Legend

1. Bj and dal are very proud footballers who almost willed the team to a win.

2. When this team doesn't play for each other and starts flying for marks and looking for cheap kicks the wheels fall apart.

3. zac, max and blake can't all play in the same backline

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:
aussiejones wrote:What did Lyon learn from yesterday ?
My concern with this is that he didn't seem to learn anything from when we played them earlier in the year. Either that, or he didn't really want to win yesterday, as the "going through the year undefeated" seemed to be getting the better of him.
I don't think he was handling that pressure at all well. Which is a huge shame, because, apart from the fact that losing sucks at any time, we had a golden opportunity to do what had never been done in VFL/AFL history. It's as if they thought that going through undefeated meant having to choose between winning the flag, or going without a loss. They didn't seem to realise that going through undefeated ALSO means you win the GF. If they reckon that means nothing, I believe they're lying to themselves.
As if they would rather lose a game/games during the year, than win the flag and not lose a game for the year! I don't think a lot of them had the guts to face the prospect, but that's done now.
We had the exact same problems with Essendon earlier in the year (from Watson getting 39 and 37 possies, their midfield dominating, to their speed running rings around us) and they obviously got an enormous amount of confidence from that effort. Yet we picked one of our slowest teams of the year. We didn't seem to learn anything from when they pushed us earlier in the year. Either that, or they didn't bother to implement it, because sub-consciously (or even consciously) they weren't handling the "pressure" of going through undefeated and wanted to get that "monkey" off their back.
I think Mini and CJ were big outs. Sadly, their out-ness (together with Geary) happened to coincide with this particular game. Meant we were left with a RELATIVELY slow side. Add to that we are clearly preppiung for bigger things, had the disjointed affect of having 'rested' players coming back to contend with and we were playing a side that HAD to win to stay alive...

All I'm saying is I'm not too sure it's really worth overanalysing.

That said, put in a shocker against Roos and it'll be a different story.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Geezer
Club Player

1. that twilight sunday matches suck balls.
2. food is way to expensive at ethiad
3. that we all had to pre purchase tickets so bombers and ticketmaster can make money
4. the bad pipe girl is cute (even in the rain poncho)
5. that essendon rolled the dice gambled and won
6. we played shite yet still almost pinched it
7. sydney are out of the finals (rebuild roos . . .rebuild)
8. we are still 19-1 and on top
9. 15 other teams would like to be sitting where we are right now with no injuries and on top of the ladder.
10. we saw a different kamakaze style of play against us and adapted

#35 - Thanks for the Memories.
21 Great Season's
Simply Remarkable
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

That you can't win a premiership in August

Another opportunity awaits!
aussiejones
Club Player

Ross is a great coach ...but why didnt we learn ?????

"We had the exact same problems with Essendon earlier in the year (from Watson getting 39 and 37 possies, their midfield dominating, to their speed running rings around us) and they obviously got an enormous amount of confidence from that effort. Yet we picked one of our slowest teams of the year. We didn't seem to learn anything from when they pushed us earlier in the year. Either that, or they didn't bother to implement it, because sub-consciously (or even consciously) they weren't handling the "pressure" of going through undefeated and wanted to get that "monkey" off their back."

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

That we no longer have the "everyone's second team" tag, as the entire football world is still cheering their glasses that we lost!

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.