MCC Members Grand Final Ticket Ballot

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ace
Saintsational Legend

MCC Members Grand Final Ticket Ballot

The Ballot Is Open For Registration

A reminder to all Saints supporting Full Members of the Melbourne Cricket Club.
Ticketek started taking ballot applications today.
You only have this week to enter the ballot (closes 7PM 23 August).
If you don't enter the ballot you will definitely miss out on the reserved seats.
If you do enter it only costs nothing if you miss out,because you get a refund.
You only pay a total of $25 dollars for a reserved seat if successful.
Success in the ballot is a lot better than waiting in the queue from 3AM in the morning.
Failure in the ballot, you wait in the queue from 3AM in the morning.
5:30AM last year seated me three quarters of the way back on level 4.
I didn't realise ants played footy.

NON MCC MEMBERS
For the benefit of those who are not Full Members of the Melbourne Cricket Club.
As the Melbourne Cricket Ground and all its stands have been built by the MCC with MCC members funds and MCC members funding a massive debt, the Melbourne Cricket Club retains a number of seats to the Grand Final as it does to all other matches at the MCG.

The AFL pays the MCC to use their ground and the MCC pays the AFL for its members to be able to attend matches out of members subscriptions.
The AFL has not and does not contribute to the construction cost of the stands, it is a tenant..

12,000 seats to the grand final in the MCC reserve are being balloted to Full MCC members.
Successful applicants will get a reserved seat.
Unlike the Medallion Club and the AFL any MCC member who receives a reserved seat must either attend (use their reserve seat), return the ticket to the MCC or they will be excluded from the following years ballot.
No empty, paid for seats allowed!

A further 10,000 seats and at least 1,000 standing places will be made available to Full MCC Members on the day - on a first come first served basis.
They will keep letting Full Members in until the MCC reserve is full.
Last year the attendance was 100,000 at a ground of 98,000 - there were plenty standing and watching on TV in the bars of the MCC reserve.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

I caught the first train in from Caulfield was in the queue by 5.30 and got a great seat 1/2 way back on Level 1..

Oh dont forget MCC members..if you get a seat in the ballot and dont use it..you arent allowed to enter the ballot next year

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Re: MCC Members Grand Final Ticket Ballot

ace wrote:The Ballot Is Open For Registration

NON MCC MEMBERS
For the benefit of those who are not Full Members of the Melbourne Cricket Club.
As the Melbourne Cricket Ground and all its stands have been built by the MCC with MCC members funds and MCC members funding a massive debt, the Melbourne Cricket Club retains a number of seats to the Grand Final as it does to all other matches at the MCG.

The AFL pays the MCC to use their ground and the MCC pays the AFL for its members to be able to attend matches out of members subscriptions.
The AFL has not and does not contribute to the construction cost of the stands, it is a tenant..
You trying to justify why the MCC hogs so many tix Ace? :wink:

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:
ace wrote:The Ballot Is Open For Registration

NON MCC MEMBERS

You trying to justify why the MCC hogs so many tix Ace? :wink:
No he isn't - it's just a very articulate explanation of the FACTS...something that the Herald-Sun would hate to print when the whingers come out in force in the week leading up to the Granny about how unfair it is blah, blah, blah!

Another thing to note is that the ballot is held in two stages this year - one for those who only want Level 1 or 2, and one for those who are happy with Level 4....the first ballot includes everyone, and second only the ones who accept Level 4.......great, forward and fair thinking.

You gotta hand it to the MCC - they are pretty fair and reasonable with their allocation process of GF tickets in the reserve, and unlike the AFL, treat their members with respect!

casey scorp
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:You gotta hand it to the MCC - they are pretty fair and reasonable with their allocation process of GF tickets in the reserve, and unlike the AFL, treat their members with respect!
The MCC is a fair dinkum club, and treats its members like any proper club does.

The AFL is not a club.

The AFL clubs are not clubs other than in constitution - they have absolutely no club ethos or atmosphere.

ace
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:I caught the first train in from Caulfield was in the queue by 5.30 and got a great seat 1/2 way back on Level 1..

Oh dont forget MCC members..if you get a seat in the ballot and dont use it..you arent allowed to enter the ballot next year
You obviously can run.
Oops, members don't run, I should say move quickly.
I can't run, jump or ski due to arthritis so I am slow once I get inside the ground.
I also made the mistake of taking a bag, the search queue took forever.

Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

ace
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:I caught the first train in from Caulfield was in the queue by 5.30 and got a great seat 1/2 way back on Level 1..

Unless you return the ticket to the MCC in time for them to reissue it.

If I don't get a reserved seat in the ballot I will be in the queue at 3:30AM
Once I get my seat ticket, I will get a passout, go home for a snooze and return in time for the game.

No way will I miss this Saints premiership.

Nattens
Club Player

Is the walkup at 3:30am option available to Adult Restricted members of the MCC?

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Nattens wrote:Is the walkup at 3:30am option available to Adult Restricted members of the MCC?
Nope....restricted members are not allowed to the GF...UNLESS 2 Interstate sides are playing and the MCC think that the Reserve wont fill with full Members

Im pretty sure both WCE v Syd GF's had some restricted members allowed, but you cant get the ticket til the day and have to pay full price

Pretty much no chance this year Id think...sorry..

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
ace
Saintsational Legend

For those who are interested in becoming members of the MCC.
The members reserve has about 22,000 seats and at least 1,000 standing places.
Full membership subscription is now $555 per year.
Last year (August 2008) there were 60,550 full members.
Normally only full members get to see the Grand Final.
You needed to be nominated before 30 Septemer 1988 to be a full member.

There were 39,382 restricted members who normally don't get in to the grand final and don't get to vote - the club is a democracy of full members.
You needed to be nominated before 31 January 1995 to be a restricted member.

There was a short waiting list of 184,974.
The waiting list includes the Danish prince son of Princess Mary.
Unlike the AFL, money and royalty don't entitle anyone to jump the waiting list - you wait your turn.
You don't have to be a toff, toffs wait their turn, you just have to behave yourself reasonably.
Even low life Collingwood supporters have been admitted to the MCC.

The approximate 225,000 waiting to become full members is a nightmare problem that the club has not solved.
Even if 60,000 full members die only 60,000 new full members get admiited.
If they die a further 60,000 get admitted.
Even if they die and 60,000 new full members are admitted, there are still 45,000 waiting.
The waiting list is so long that most will die waiting.

If you are not already in the queue, you may not make it but that is no excuse for not having your children nominated at birth (assuming they will be Saints fans) and get yourself nominated too - you never know things may change.

PS My Dad got me nominated but not himself.
I ended up taking him to the cricket as a guest.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

And I still don't see what the attraction is. Especially if you're a saints supporter.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:And I still don't see what the attraction is. Especially if you're a saints supporter.
The attraction is that you can pretty much be sure of going to EVERY Grand Final for $555 year....plus you get to get into ALL finals games at MCG.

Last year, I used my MCC membership for all 3 Saints finals games plus the Granny, so not bad value.

IMO if you aren't interested into going to the Granny each year, it aint really worth it!

jmac101
Club Player

how good are dads! got nominated at birth and about a month ago got notification of full membership and eligibility to nominate for GF tickets this year. living in sydney now, without the membership woud have absolutely no chance of going to the GF this year, now there is a slim possibility... im guessing the ballot is totally random and there are no tricks of the trade?

StSteven
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:
Moods wrote:And I still don't see what the attraction is. Especially if you're a saints supporter.
The attraction is that you can pretty much be sure of going to EVERY Grand Final for $555 year....plus you get to get into ALL finals games at MCG.

Last year, I used my MCC membership for all 3 Saints finals games plus the Granny, so not bad value.

IMO if you aren't interested into going to the Granny each year, it aint really worth it!
I don't understand the attraction either. As an AFL member you can be pretty much assured of a GF ticket (no need to rush in at 3:00 am either), go to all finals and H&A matches. It's a lot cheaper also.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Become an AFL member for less money and it only takes you about 7 years to be virtually guaranteed a GF spot. You also get into all the finals for free. PLUS your money goes twds your nominated club (saints) and the rest to the AFL. PLUS you get into every home and away game in Melbourne for free, not just the MCG. Never understood why the benefits of being an MCC member were considered so great. Each to their own though.

Young Georgie
Club Player

I'm not talking about its value as $555 is a heap of money in my book and I've struggled with justifying the expense for years but as a MCC member you not only get access to every AFL H&A and finals game at the G but there's also the cricket - every match - and there are other events including rugby and soccer while the MCC has loads of sporting facilities/clubs within.

Graceful, elusive, strong overhead and no Easybeat!
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Young Georgie wrote:I'm not talking about its value as $555 is a heap of money in my book and I've struggled with justifying the expense for years but as a MCC member you not only get access to every AFL H&A and finals game at the G but there's also the cricket - every match - and there are other events including rugby and soccer while the MCC has loads of sporting facilities/clubs within.
Fair enough I guess - if you love the soccer and rugby. Even the cricket you get in for half price as an AFL member.

Blokes will probably take offence - but I've always seen the MCC as a prestige thing. An acceptance for the Old School Tie. No-one has ever been able to convince me that it's anything more.

And for the record - I'm one of those whingers who don't believe the MCC members should be getting anything like the numbers they do for GF day. If the GF doesn't reach its capacity (100,000) the reason is invariably the MCC. They will argue that it's their prerogative not to turn up b/c they pay their membership fees.

ace
Saintsational Legend

jmac101 wrote:how good are dads! got nominated at birth and about a month ago got notification of full membership and eligibility to nominate for GF tickets this year. living in sydney now, without the membership woud have absolutely no chance of going to the GF this year, now there is a slim possibility... im guessing the ballot is totally random and there are no tricks of the trade?
The MCC is scrupulously above board.
It is a non political democracy.
Any suggestion of hanky panky and the members will replace the committee.

Congratulations on obtaining full membership.
You MUST have paid your subscription in time if you want to see the Grand Final
Go to the MCC website - http://www.mcc.org.au/
Use the link provided to get to the Ticketek page for the ballot.
You MUST do that this week.
As Saint66au pointed out if you are successful you MUST use your reserved seat ticket or return it.
Otherwise you get excluded from next years ballot but more importantly it is not the sort of conduct expected of a member.

Uncles can be good too.
Someone's uncle got another of someone's uncle to join him in nominating someone at birth.
Someone is about to become a restricted junior member having now reached age 15.
Congratulations nephew.
Last edited by ace on Tue 18 Aug 2009 5:24pm, edited 1 time in total.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

f*** me it sounds all too hard
ill stick with 11 gamer and SC and still get a GF ticket
seems easier

ace
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote:f*** me it sounds all too hard
seems easier
It is not a club for toffs but it is club for those with foresight, initiative and patience.
Or at least have parents or uncles and aunts with those qualities.
Not a club for those who expect easy, instantaneous membership.

That's why bogans hate us.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
seems easier
It is not a club for toffs but it is club for those with foresight, initiative and patience.

But it's not a club for toffs? :roll: :lol:

Just explain - why do you need foresight and initiative to join? What, your uncle puts you on the list and both you and your uncle have great foresight and initiative? Give me a break.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Been on the waiting list since 98... got at least another 5 years to wait for restricted membership.

Was an AFL member until 2000, gave it the flick because I wasn't using it & just kept the Saints membership.

Spewing now as I'd be getting a GF ticket every year by now.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:
ace wrote:
seems easier

But it's not a club for toffs? :roll: :lol:

Just explain - why do you need foresight and initiative to join? What, your uncle puts you on the list and both you and your uncle have great foresight and initiative? Give me a break.
I did say you or your parents or uncles

Foresight - you wont even get to be a restricted member in under 15 years.
Someone has to be thinking that far ahead otherwise you don't even get to restricted member.
In 1961, my father had myself and my brother nominated before the family went to London to live for 2 years but he was thinking way ahead.

Initiative - my Dad had to find two full members of the club who were willng to nominate us, he was from NSW and had been in Melbourne for less than 2 years.

My Dad was no toff but he did have these admirable qualities that Bogans don't.
Thinking ahead for them is planning to blow their pay cheque on booze, pokies, the GG's and cigarettes.

I was fortunate to have a great Dad, what about you Moods.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:Been on the waiting list since 98... got at least another 5 years to wait for restricted membership.

Was an AFL member until 2000, gave it the flick because I wasn't using it & just kept the Saints membership.

Spewing now as I'd be getting a GF ticket every year by now.
Animal Enclosure the restricted membership is up to nomination date 31 Jan 1995 but only advances 3 months this year.
Reality for 1998 nomination think 10 years.

Full membership is up to nomination date 30 Sept 1988 but advanced 5 months this year.
Reality at that rate you will be a restricted member for a further 15 years.

Sadly you have about 25 years until you become a full member.
You need to find another route to Grand Final tickets in the meantime.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Ace thanks for inquiring. I reckon my dad was pretty good as well - despite the fact that he didn't drink or smoke, we still had some fun :wink:

Question - am I a good dad for purchasing my two daughters an AFL membership? Now if the saints make it, they can see the GF this year, and not in 25 years time.

Now I feel better about myself - didn't take much either.

If only I had belonged to the MCC, I could have been an even better dad, nominated my daughters at birth, and allowed them to watch the GF from home - but at least there wouldn't have been any pesky bogans around to spoil their day 8-)