The public perception of how umpires treat Roo

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

The public perception of how umpires treat Roo

It's been widely perceived for a long time now that the umpires favor and look after certain individuals. Judd being one, Ablett and Goodes being another, but lets not forget the tag-line that was branded about two years ago - "Nick the untouchable". Ie, all you have to do is touch Roo and it's a free kick.

Maybe two seasons ago, that was probably quite a fare observation, but now, I couldn't even tell you the last time Roo was rewarded a free kick for holding, pushed in the back, arms being chopped, etc.

Yet certain individuals in the media and pretty much every opposition supporter still claims that Roo is so well looked after by the umps, that you'd love to have in your team, just for the sheer fact that the moment someone lays a finger on him, free kick.

Got me thinking after the Swans match, all the supporters calling Roo an untouchable (probably Jim Main driven), then whining about being robbed, despite the fact the White goal that got them the lead in the dying minutes originally came from Bolton after he chopped Roo's arm and the ball bounced off his body.

All this being said, I prefer a good one-on-one, battle of strength. It's a contest after all!

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
ace
Saintsational Legend

Re: The public perception of how umpires treat Roo

SydneySainter wrote:It's been widely perceived for a long time now that the umpires favor and look after certain individuals. Judd being one, Ablett and Goodes being another, but lets not forget the tag-line that was branded about two years ago - "Nick the untouchable". Ie, all you have to do is touch Roo and it's a free kick.

Maybe two seasons ago, that was probably quite a fare observation, but now, I couldn't even tell you the last time Roo was rewarded a free kick for holding, pushed in the back, arms being chopped, etc.

Yet certain individuals in the media and pretty much every opposition supporter still claims that Roo is so well looked after by the umps, that you'd love to have in your team, just for the sheer fact that the moment someone lays a finger on him, free kick.

Got me thinking after the Swans match, all the supporters calling Roo an untouchable (probably Jim Main driven), then whining about being robbed, despite the fact the White goal that got them the lead in the dying minutes originally came from Bolton after he chopped Roo's arm and the ball bounced off his body.

All this being said, I prefer a good one-on-one, battle of strength. It's a contest after all!
For a one-one to be good there has to be no cheating - chopping of arms, pushing in the back, tunneling and "making him earn it" after the contest.
It is a contest after all and cheats should be penalised.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA