SHEAHAN has declared Collingwood flag favourite...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

SHEAHAN has declared Collingwood flag favourite...

Does that guy never learn as he definitely cant remain impartial when it comes to his team - Collingwood (filth). He wets his pants over the pies every year they make the finals and declares them the best regardless what other teams have acheived around them...

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/ ... 42,00.html

I HOPE WE PLAY COLLINGWOOD IN THE GF AND SMASH THEM SO ONCE AGAIN THEY CAN EXPERIENCE THAT OLD COLLINGWOOD FEELING OF GETTING WIPED IN GRAND FINALS...
Last edited by WinnersOnly on Mon 24 Aug 2009 1:12pm, edited 1 time in total.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Re: SHEAHAN has declared Collingwood flag favourite...

WinnersOnly wrote:Does that guy never learn as he definitely cant remain impartial when it comes to his team - Collingwood (filth). He west his pants over the pies every year they make the finals and declares them the best regardless what other teams have acheived around them...

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/ ... 42,00.html

I HOPE WE PLAY COLLINGWOOD IN THE GF AND SMASH THEM SO ONCE AGAIN THEY CAN EXPERIENCE THAT OLD COLLINGWOOD FEELING OF GETTING WIPED IN GRAND FINALS...
Lets not let the facts get in the way of a good story here;

Mike Sheahan is a Melbourne Supporter

Opinions (even Mike Sheahan's) are like arzeholes. Everbody has one

Mike Sheahan is in the business of selling newspapers, and Collingwood sells newspapers !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

SaintWodonga
Club Player

pretty sure he is a Hawks supporter.

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
reincarnated

Reincarnated says that finals and home and away fixtures are two different machines

Finals reverts back to basic footy and tall dominating forwards more so than home and away

Collingwood have no good talls (yes Reincarnated is aware that they have quality, creative smalls)

Therefore Collingwood won't win

Sainterman
Club Player

Lol - I thought he was a Carlton supporter.

And I don't mind not being outright favorites, we can go about our business without that tag and the pressure. The Pies can have it, as can Geelong. All set for a great finals series if you step back and look at it. There are 4 teams all looking capable on their day.

Was very disappointed yesterday, but this morning I am just thinking we need to wait and see in 2 weeks time. It can all turn around very quickly again. I will back the players and the fitness staff from here and think that we will come out firing again when it matters.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:...Mike Sheahan is a Melbourne Supporter...
Correct.

Winmarvellous
Club Player

A valid opinion. They have the best form going into the finals, and the best record over the second half of the year. We've lost to 13th and a team that may or may not finish 8th in the past 2 weeks.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

My best friend at school was best man at Mike's son's wedding and I'm pretty much certain he follows Melbourne.
Aside from that, why wouldn't Collingwood be favourites? They've won something like 12 from 13 and are in the sort of form we were in a couple of months ago. On the "form ladder" they're clearly on top (for both wins and percentage).
We are currently going backwards at a rate of knots, while they're seemingly getting better by the week (as are the Bulldogs). They've just strengthened their team with Josh Fraser and Anthony Rocca gives them another option up front.
We have one week to get our s*** together, while they have beautiful timing and momentum. Ladder position will mean just about FA come finals, since the top 4 are all Vic teams and Collingwood are at home on the MCG. We haven't played there since last year, where we got smashed in 2 of our 3 finals. Mick Malthouse also knows his time is running out in charge, so he'll be pulling out all stops. Then there's the "Collingwood Army", who usually make a hell of a lot more noise than us to support their team.
We have a hell of a lot of work to do. Anyone who thought we had it in the bag, may like to think again. What did we learn from 1997?
Last edited by AnythingsPossibleSaints on Mon 24 Aug 2009 1:13pm, edited 1 time in total.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
starsign
Club Player

perfectionist wrote:
Eastern wrote:...Mike Sheahan is a Melbourne Supporter...
Correct.
you guys may well be right but I have always gathered the impression he was a Pie supporter as well

anyway he's only working up his bonus from the usual circulation figures when the Sun writes about the filth particularly at this time of the year, and fortunately he is usually well of the mark in his predictions!

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

That self-important tosser has been gagging to jump off the Saints' bandwagon ever since he was embarrassed into declaring for them in round 7 after tipping against them 6 weeks in a row.

More humble pie, Mike? Our team will happily oblige.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

He's definitely a Melbourne supporter.

He's also the best exponent of the 'bandwagon on... bandwagon off' move you'll ever see.

If the Bulldogs beat the Pies next week you watch good old Mike voice his grave concerns about Collingwood's finals campaign.

He's turned himself from a thoughful football writer into a charicature.

On a serious note, the Filth deserve their favoritism.

Saintschampions08
Club Player

reincarnated wrote:Reincarnated says that finals and home and away fixtures are two different machines

Finals reverts back to basic footy and tall dominating forwards more so than home and away

Collingwood have no good talls (yes Reincarnated is aware that they have quality, creative smalls)

Therefore Collingwood won't win
Really?

Thats proven by what?
Sydney in '05?
West Coast in '06?

What about Geelong?...i seem to remember Steve Johnson winning the norm smith...

How did Franklin / Roughead go last year? Neither went close to dominating...

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Mission accomplished Ross. Pressure taken off and the focus shifted to another team. Will be interesting to see how Collingwood cope with the 'flag favourite' tag. If their recent history is anything to go by, they should choke in the 1st and 2nd week of the finals......:twisted:

St Kilda will face either Geelong or Western Bulldogs in the Grand Final!

Fortius Quo Fidelius
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

If we aren't going to be favourites, I still think Geelong should be and then the Dogs and then the Pies.

Collingwood are playing to the best of their ability. They are in good form and have the best coach in the comp (I know most on here don't seem to agree, but Malthouse is the guy I'd want to have coaching for my life on GF day).

But - and this illustrates my point as to what a good coach Malthouse is - they don't have the cattle and haven't had throughout the past decade, even though they have made the finals more often than not.

Under the extreme pressure of the finals, I don't think players like Anthony, Thomas, Swan, Dick, Cloke, Medhurst, even Davis are up to the mark. Didak, Maxwell, Pendlebury and a few others probably are, but I don't reckon that's enough to swing it. And the Pies are definitely vulnerable at the back.

I was very impressed with the Dogs on Friday night. I reckon they have a good list and are running into form at the right end of the season. I would far rather we played the Pies in the first final.

As for Sheahan and others who are tipping the Pies, I reckon that's fair enough. You could argue that St Kilda are chokers (which is yet to proven wrong), Geelong are too injured and the Dogs still don't have the forward line power to win finals. So the Pies, in great form and with a coach and a bunch of senior players with lots of big game/finals experience, look a reasonable bet. I don't agree, but I don't feel like I have to abuse anyone who thinks differently.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

How dare he suggest he anyone but us being flag favourites! Especially declaring the most inform side in the league with a mass rabid army behind it going full steam ahead into the finals.
I hate them more than the next person,they make me sick,but they are favourites if you open both eyes. Week one of the finals is up to us to win that favouritism back

Bring back the Lockett era
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

If we can get a fully fit squad playing in the finals we should still be overwhelming flag favourites.

Riewoldt and Hayes better be fully fit... we should give them a week off if needs be.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Winmarvellous wrote:A valid opinion. They have the best form going into the finals, and the best record over the second half of the year. We've lost to 13th and a team that may or may not finish 8th in the past 2 weeks.
correct. collingwood have claims to being the benchmark now. would love for it to be an underdog like us to bring them down a rung.

BaysideSaint
Club Player

noddy lost his licence last year for DUI.

asiu

I hate them more than the next person,
not true jonesy

i hate em more than you

midas_touch
Club Player

Collingwood have reason to be the form team of the competition at the moment. Talent wise, they are inferior to us, but as much as I loathe them, they play extremely well as a team and for one another.

Trust the Midas Touch

"My heart is at St.Kilda, I've been here seven years, I only wanted to play for them." (Fraser Gehrig, 27/11/2007)
goodie
Club Player

Is this the same football expert who's a long way behind in the HS tipping competition?

BaysideSaint
Club Player

goodie wrote:Is this the same football expert who's a long way behind in the HS tipping competition?
Noddy wrote:THE title of "flag favourite" is one of dubious value. Meaningful or not, it now resides with Collingwood.
betfair.com
STK $3.40
GEE $3.75
COL $4.00
Noddy should know that the Title is ours...

Saintmania
Club Player

Can someone tell me what Collingwood have done since round nine that makes them a better team than us? Beat Bulldogs (we did that twice and by a lot more than one point) and Adelaide (we did that as well) from what I can see. Yes, we lost two games we shouldn't have and they lost one but c'mon, anyone who tries to argue that a team that has won four less games than the other is a better team is a little off in my book. Collingwood has had a lot to play for for all 21 rounds so far, we have not. That is a major statistic that people hailing the great 'pies should really consider.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

SportsBet has the Saints favourites:

St Kilda $3.20
Geelong $3.40
Collingwood $3.40
Footscray $7.00

BaysideSaint
Club Player

SM .. collingwood are BIG!! :shock: they are really really huge. they are so wealthy that they can afford to walk almost a whole kilometre to training from their base next to one of the greatest river systems in the developed world. they are so really-really BIG! :lol:
and they are confident also :shock: