Far from happy about this

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Far from happy about this

Max Hudghton's torment as Saints pick veteran defencer
Mike Sheahan | September 04, 2009 12:00am

MAX Hudghton's inclusion in St Kilda's squad of 25 for Sunday's Qualifying Final is fool's gold for his army of admirers. The veteran defender will be missing from the final 22 for the clash with Collingwood when the squad is finalised tonight.

Coach Ross Lyon is understood to have told him more than a week ago there wasn't a place for him in the club's best team.

Lyon is believed to have said his only hope of a recall during September was an injury to Zac Dawson or Jason Blake.

Hudghton, who turned 33 on Wednesday, continues to train with the Saints, but former teammates say he is hurt and confused about his fate.

A year ago, he deferred retirement plans after a favourable review from Lyon, accepting a one-year contract.

"Yes, it's probably been my best season," he said at the time.

He advised the club several weeks ago he would retire at the end of this season.

Hudghton has played 234 games in 13 seasons, including 13 finals, building a reputation as one of the club's great warriors.

Only eight players have represented the Saints more often.

He has managed just seven of 22 games this year, playing most recently against Essendon in Round 20.

While he had only six possessions that day, he had 14-plus in the previous three.

Yet Dawson had three against Essendon and eight the next week against North Melbourne.

Coach Lyon, though, likes the younger man in his team. Likes his flexibility, in that he can play on marking forwards or crumbers, even go forward.

He said early this week the Hawthorn discard had grabbed his opportunity at his new club. He has played 20 games this year.

Blake is more versatile again, with a history of playing on talls and smalls, and helping out in the ruck.

While Hudghton is an acclaimed one-on-one player, the Saints make sure Dawson isn't exposed one out.

Supporters dearly want the veteran in any premiership team; the coach wants what he sees as his best team.

Collingwood and Brisbane Lions' premiership coach Leigh Matthews said on 3AW last night there was no room for sentiment in finals.

"You have to do what's best for the team, if you believe it is best for the team," he said.

One of Hudghton's former teammates, who asked not be named, said last night: "If I was picking the team, Max would still be the first defender I'd pick."

Qld Saints Supporter Group
gosainters66
Club Player

hope this is not true

SAINTS FOR EVER
bob__71
Club Player

There are no automatic selections.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

if it's true all I'm disapointed about is that it got out. But max needs to suck it up and keep pushing. Love the guy but you always have to put the teams needs before the individual

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Re: Far from happy about this

Saint Bev wrote:Hudghton, who turned 33 on Wednesday, continues to train with the Saints, but former teammates say he is hurt and confused about his fate.
i love ya max, but if this is honestly true then you're more selfish than i thought.

"confused"? the selection committee selected someone else. where's the confusion there?

SaintWodonga
Club Player

Does that mean we get no send off for Max?

Not good Saints...

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

SaintWodonga wrote:Does that mean we get no send off for Max?

Not good Saints...
yeah, we should select him for a final even though he's not deemed to be in the best side just so we can give him a send off.

Legendary
Club Player

So what if it's true?

Ross Lyon is paid to pick the 22 players he thinks can win the game.

Who gives a flying F*** how long they've been at St Kilda for?

This club always has been and always will be bigger than 1 individual player. Players come and go ...

It's about trying to win the premiership.

Not feel all lovey-dovey inside.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

SaintWodonga wrote:Does that mean we get no send off for Max?

Not good Saints...
if he doesn't get selected before the grand final and we make it, he can do a trip in a car around the ground......

he's spent how many years to get us to a flag........

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

A must selection along with Goose next week, a reversal of the Ben Cousins decision, and officially naming our finals campaign the 'Harvey tribute finals dedication' will be the only way I'll find enjoyment for the rest of the year in these finals.

F#ck the premiership,I just want to warm the cockles of my heart!!!

Bring back the Lockett era
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

'Understood to have' = journo speak for 'I'm making this up to get a reaction story from St K FC, Dr Peter Brukner, possibly GT and with any luck an ex-player who remains friends with Max.'

Lazy.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Do people hope it's not true because they feel sorry for Max? Or because they think he's a better option than Dawson? Or because even though Dawson in Lyon's view is the better option, they think Max 'deserves' a spot because of his service to the club?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

This article is full of "it is believed" and "it is thought" and "understood to have"

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:A must selection along with Goose next week, a reversal of the Ben Cousins decision, and officially naming our finals campaign the 'Harvey tribute finals dedication' will be the only way I'll find enjoyment for the rest of the year in these finals.
i can't believe you refuse to honour sean ralphsmith. he gave his heart and soul for the st kilda football club and yet never won a premiership. surely he deserves a spot in the side in a cut-throat finals series?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:'Understood to have' = journo speak for 'I'm making this up to get a reaction story from St K FC, Dr Peter Brukner, possibly GT and with any luck an ex-player who remains friends with Max.'

Lazy.
Sorry, I didn't see your post

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
jonesy wrote:A must selection along with Goose next week, a reversal of the Ben Cousins decision, and officially naming our finals campaign the 'Harvey tribute finals dedication' will be the only way I'll find enjoyment for the rest of the year in these finals.
i can't believe you refuse to honour sean ralphsmith. he gave his heart and soul for the st kilda football club and yet never won a premiership. surely he deserves a spot in the side in a cut-throat finals series?
Should be given a lap in a car before each final...along with Fodey,and Kane Taylor.

Baldock must be allowed to accept the cup on game day over Lyon,he laid the foundation of this premiership.

Bring back the Lockett era
Unforgiven
SS Life Member

This is a pretty big issue currently with Maxy, imagine in harves went around one more year, was in the same boat as Max: injured for a while, in and out of the team, being kept out by the youth.. etc the uproar would be titanic.

Appears the saints are past the days of being picke don name, reputation. Sentiment and romance are a thing of the past, while I'd like Max to get a game, and a premiership, I trust that Ross is making the right choice at the selection table.

Carpe Diem
Sunday Red
Club Player

What complete and utter sh!t from Sheahan. He's never been my favourite football writer, but I thought he was much better than this. Nothing but innuendo, speculation, unnamed sources and probably some stuff completely made up.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:
bergholt wrote:
Should be given a lap in a car before each final...along with Fodey,and Kane Taylor.
now you're refusing to honour aldo dipetta and michael frost! supporters of this club have no respect for history.

lurker#134
Club Player

Even he doesn't play in the big one I reckon they should give a medal or have him out on the ground at least when we win, same goes with harvs I reckon.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I am not happy about all the negative press circulating.

It's not good for Max to be surmised about in this way, and we certainly don't want the negative backlash to impact Zac.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

We don't even know if this is true...could be a heap of concocted garbage by Sheahan.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:We don't even know if this is true...could be a heap of concocted garbage by Sheahan.
Agree Fireman but if true I feel for Howard, he's been at the club longer than King, Ray, Dempster, Jones and Schneider. What are they doing getting a finals game before him?

Sainterman
Club Player

Let's all relax on this one, not like Sheahan is always on the money is it? How would he know the internal workings of the club.

I am sure in the right situation, and if he is good enough, Max will get a game.

Let's trust the coaches and match committee to select our best side, and then hope it takes us all the way.

Milton66
SS Life Member

Max decided to play on this year after a great 2008. Injury has cruelled his season, and some one else has stepped up to fill his shoes.

It wasn't that long ago that we were all worried what would happen if we had no Max. In fact, there was much debate as to the merit of Gwilt playing FB.

So now we finaly have a capable replacement. None of this diminishes Max's reputation, but there are no guarantees in footy.

The interesting part of the article is something that I and others have overlooked...

Apart from not being as good as Max 1 on 1, Zac can provide flexibility by going forward... something Max can't do.

This is indeed a sad time for Max, but the head must rule the heart.

Forget the past. Who has played a bigger role in our success this year? Max or Zac?

So if there isn't room for both, who really deserves to play on Sunday?

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?