Interesting parallels of rd 14 and QF

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

spidoir
Club Player

Interesting parallels of rd 14 and QF

I think many would agree that the rd 14 game against the Cats was one of the high points of our season, both in terms of getting the win and the quality of play that we were able to produce.

there have been some knockers about our form late in the season but i think it has similarities with the lead up to rd 14.

Think about it this way:

rd 10/ rd 18 - v Melbourne/Sydney
rd 11/ rd 19 - v North/Hawthorn
rd 12/ rd 20 - v Carlton/ Essendon
mid season break/ rd 21 v break/North
rd 13/ rd 22 - v Richmond/Melbourne
rd 14/ qualifying final - v Cats/ Pies

Melbourne game - we didnt play well, and only shook them after half time. Sydney game, lucky to escape with a win. point by Joey at the death.

North game - trailed by 5 goals, only overtook in 2nd half. Hawthorn, not much comparison, we smashed them, end of story.

Carlton game - beaten in contested possessions, found a way to win by less than 2 goals. Essendon - beaten in contested possessions, lost by less than a kick.

Break - not dissimilar in proximity to resting players against Hawthorn
Richmond - sluggish start before opening up the game. Melbourne - sluggish start but did enough to maintain control after 1/2 time.

Cats - one of our best games on the back of indifferent form.

What I take out of this is that we should not be disheartened by our perceived 'lack of form' over the past 5 weeks. We have shown before we can play good footy when it matters - and there is no time like the present.

GO you Sainters!

"The line 'I'm a mad St Kilda supporter' is one of life's great tautologies, because sanity has never been a requisite to follow the fortunes of the red, white and black"
StSteven
Club Player

I agree that we need not be concerned PROVIDED the form drop off is not due to injuries we do not know about. That is my main concern as we will fire up just because it is a final if it is only attitudinal.

Milton66
SS Life Member

What exactly was our lack of form? We smashed the Crows and Dogs. Frankly we have no idea if it was training, or that we were in cruise mode. After all, we had nothing to play for, and why get injured?

The Pies had a lot to play for last week, and came up short.

Unless there's an attitude problem, expect us to play at our best.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
spidoir
Club Player

Milton66 wrote:Unless there's an attitude problem, expect us to play at our best.
Agree. I guess i was just addressing an issue that seems to exist amongst some fans, columnists etc.

"The line 'I'm a mad St Kilda supporter' is one of life's great tautologies, because sanity has never been a requisite to follow the fortunes of the red, white and black"