Do they actually understand what is going on?????

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Finna
Club Player

Do they actually understand what is going on?????

I saw a guy today wearing a Saints jumper (not often you would see this in the gold coast) and immediately went up to him to talk about our great win yesterday.

He went on to tell me how crap we were, that we couldn't play outdoors and that we were in BIG trouble. We were s*** yesterday and lucky to win 'cause the pies played even worse than us.

I was shocked......unfortunately though, not all that surprised.

Reading a few of the posters on this forum I am convinced that some people just dont get it.

Are some people not 'smart' enough to fully understand what our Mighty Saints are doing to opposition teams. We are awesome....in fact so good that teams do look 'crap' against us.

I love watching us play, I reckon we are simply incredible.

I have always liked hard contested - sometimes lower scoring - games as compared to end to end shootouts and just reckon our style is simply phenomenal.

My question is.....Are many of our fans (and some footy fans in general) simply not able to 'get' the way we go about it and are they unable to realise how wonderful our TEAM is because they want to see the flashy moves and lots of goals - something we can also do - this was very much our game plan under GT.

It seems really clear to me how and why we are soooo good and as I said earlier I simply love the way we play. After all 21 wins from 23 games really speaks volumes you'd think.

What do you think? Do some of our supporters simply not 'get it' ?????

Thoughts.

Batnoe

In some aspect he's right, if we played well we would have won by 80 points, we starved them of the ball and we almost doubled the inside 50's only to have 4 or 5 more scoring shots

So if we had played well, we could have smashed them, which we didnt

oneteam
Club Player

Re: Do they actually understand what is going on?????

Finna wrote: What do you think? Do some of our supporters simply not 'get it' ?????

Thoughts.
tell guys like this to ask opposition supporters how good they think we are. that might turn him around.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Batnoe wrote:In some aspect he's right, if we played well we would have won by 80 points, we starved them of the ball and we almost doubled the inside 50's only to have 4 or 5 more scoring shots

We don't aim to in by 80 points.

We aim to win. We did this very well.

To the OP, no. People don't get it at all.

Finna
Club Player

Agreed with RF. We dont aim to win by 80. Especially in a game like this.

If we had of really wanted that outcome though I reckon we would have got it.

python
Club Player

collingwood did not deserve to score in the second half, we completely shut down and controlled the game. They had nowhere to go, and players like didak and medhurst were exposed for being the soft pretenders that they are. We may have won by 28, but it might as well have been 80, collingwood were so far out of the contest.

maz1685
Club Player

Leigh Matthews said earlier in the season that Saints style makes opposition look bad, due to both pressure and perceived pressure, it makes them nervous and fumble the ball. So far he seems to be the only one I've heard say it (I could be wrong), people have got to understand that when the opposition looks like they're playing like crap, it's most likely that the Saints are playing really well.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
Batnoe wrote:In some aspect he's right, if we played well we would have won by 80 points, we starved them of the ball and we almost doubled the inside 50's only to have 4 or 5 more scoring shots

I agree, there is a collective that just don't get it at all. They are most likely the same people that shout "kick it long" and such at the games...

thecroc
Club Player

On the money Batnoe

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

thecroc wrote:On the money Batnoe
What happened to 'straight sets'?

sendmehomehappy
Club Player

Sure the Saints control the other side, possession, ball movement...and do it better than any one else at the moment...but I still get the sense that we do not put enough scoreboard pressure on for the amount of effort and control we have.

Unless we get more scoreboard value for the team's efforts...we could be knocked over by a Geelong and possibly Adelaide or the dogs if they only have a few minutes of brilliance.

The forwards/mids have good defensive skills now but must be more offensively damaging too.

Forward 50 entries must have a higher conversion rate.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

sendmehomehappy wrote:
...but I still get the sense that we do not put enough scoreboard pressure on for the amount of effort and control we have.

But there you are wrong.

I can assure you that is HUGE scoreboard pressure when the oppositon knows that they are scoring SLOWLY against us.

The Blues area freewheeling team and can ram home goals quickly...and they remind mea lot of the saints of 2004 /2005....god on a roll, but powerless to put the brakes on when the opposition are on a roll.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Milton66
SS Life Member

Meh, we were lucky. :shock:

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Milton66 wrote:Meh, we were lucky. :shock:
got a feeling we'll be lucky enough to meet a couple more 'worse' opponents the way we're playing!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
mullet
Saintsational Legend

No they dont freakin get it. They dont get how we wear down teams and grind them into the ground. We hurt them with our fierce tackling and play the game like we want to. Teams stay with us for a quarter and a half and then they are stuffed. Thats how it has worked all year.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:

We're a higher scoring version of what Sydney produced to win their flag! So you're correct in what you're saying here.

The reason why Collingwood looked crap was because of US! Nothing more, nothing less!

We look like we struggled against the last placed Melbourne, and then turn it on with a 4th ranked Collingwood! Doesn't take a mathematician to work out that we strangle the life out of a team and then score when pushing forward.

You don't go through a season and lose 2 games by a kick without bringing something substantial to the table! FACT!

GO YOU GOOD THINGS! :twisted:

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
howlinwolf
Club Player

Like a Boa Constrictor it's not how fast you kill but how you slowly
maneuver until the final point of execution.

Those that rush to kill quickly expose themselves.

This is the Saints of 2009.

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:

I agree, there is a collective that just don't get it at all. They are most likely the same people that shout "kick it long" and such at the games...
The worst call from Saints supporters "kick it, kick it, kick it" when there is nobody to kick it to. These people just don't understand.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
saint3d
Club Player

sendmehomehappy wrote:we do not put enough scoreboard pressure on for the amount of effort and control we have.
Frontal pressure > scoreboard pressure

Gabba
SS Hall of Fame

How can you expect to demolish a team when they flood the crap out of our half of the ground? The Pies went in to damage control fairly early on...

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Milton66 wrote:Meh, we were lucky. :shock:
We had some luck on Saturday, sure.

Losing a midfielder in the first 5 minutes of a final pretty much means you're rooted.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

unlucky......

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote:unlucky......
But then again Collingwood were 'lucky' that our previous board saw fit to replace GT with someone who wasn't able to get our players playing at their 'best' consistantly.

Surely that piece of 'good luck' would outweigh the 'bad luck' of losing a player so early in a game?

What I'm still confused about is how on earth we won the game, given that we had the 'bad luck' to have tha aforementioned coach in charge of us for the whole game?

Just imagine how good we would be if we'd had the 'good luck' to have a coach able to get our good players playing consistantly? We might even dream of winning 20 games in a H&A season?

ThePunter
Club Player

There's many years of conditioning we have to work out of ourselves, and couple with the fact we barrack for St Kilda, that means we will probably be in the stands, nervous for much longer than is necessary.

I kept looking at the scoreboard on Sunday, seeing that we were only three or four goals clear, and I wasn't happy with the gap we had put in the game. But then I looked at Collingwood's score, and the truth was once we had kicked ten goals, we probably had enough.

How many times this year have we looked at the scoreboard at three quarter time and think "the opposition have kicked six goals all day, and they have to kick five goals to none to win the match?" It generally doesn't happen.

Owen
Club Player

We had the spark .. the mojo .. for about 50% of the game on Sunday .. but that 50% was when it counted and the boys knew when to turn it on.

The first quarter & half we were stuck in 1st gear .. then BJ's bump on the Show Pony sparked em .. and we didnt lose the mojo till Kingy's stupid giveaway in the third .. would have buried em by 3 qtr time otherwise ..

4th .. turned it on once again to seal the game - then switched off to conserve when it was over ..

So no we didnt smash em .. and we were far from flawless, but we turned it on when it counted .. and I'm full of confidence they will switch it up another gear for longer in the Prelim .. and then absolutely full-tilt smash em up Rd.15 style in the GF ..