Notice how we stood during the anthem?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Notice how we stood during the anthem?

I think it was OTC that they brought this up...while the anthem was playing.

Saints stood in a row, hands behind backs. Collingwood opted for the linking of arms.

I must admit watching the replay, we do look far more intimidating...some of our boys had awesome death stares as well.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Re: Notice how we stood during the anthem?

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:I think it was OTC that they brought this up...while the anthem was playing.

Saints stood in a row, hands behind backs. Collingwood opted for the linking of arms.

I must admit watching the replay, we do look far more intimidating...some of our boys had awesome death stares as well.
Roo especially looked set!!!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:I think it was OTC that they brought this up...while the anthem was playing.

Maybe that was our problem in 1997.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:Saints stood in a row, hands behind backs. Collingwood opted for the linking of arms.
our way is more respectful i think.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Was gonna say exactly the same thing.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Quixote
SS Life Member

I found Didak's man-stare quite underwhelming :lol:

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

In 97 I would have thought it was more the injuries to Everitt and Vidovic, Winmar's Dad passing and Lowe's Sister's "troubles".

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
stinger
Saintsational Legend

yep...but i remember the boys being criticised for this at the 1997 grannie...the crows linked arms......it was said at the time that this proved that they were more of a team...more close knitted.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

If we get to the GF I just hope we're focussed, intense and tough without losing the plot.

However, should a player be picked off, ala Harves in 97, I want to see us stand up, show retribution, and not give a s*** about next year.

We play for the day and the GF and the sole purpose of the whole season - the FLAG.

22 players giving their all for the cause. If some wear some suspensions, so be it.

I do not want to ever witness another 1997. Ever.

Rather go down fighting for all than witnessing that day again.

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
bigred wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

In 97 I would have thought it was more the injuries to Everitt and Vidovic, Winmar's Dad passing and Lowe's Sister's "troubles".
i was told about this only the other week.
thanks god i dont remember 97 so i cant say much.
but is it too rude to ask why Lowe was told about this? i was told his sister went the night before, wouldnt his family have done everything they could to have waited until after the game to tell him? were they all living together when it happend so there was no chance of that? did the police tell lowe?
i know it might sound like im being a twat, but with the biggest 2.5 hours of his life coming up the next day i would of thought it would of been kept quiet from him.
sorry if this has offended anyone

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

It sure was, its bad luck to link arms, as soon as I saw it I knew we won...

SaintWal
Club Player

Quixote wrote:I found Didak's man-stare quite underwhelming :lol:
I don't know. Maniacs with guns near Hoddle street always make me a little jumpy :lol:

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

SaintWal wrote:
I don't know. Maniacs with guns near Hoddle street always make me a little jumpy :lol:
Shudder.

:shock:

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Pretty sure it was us who started the whole arms linked in the Night Granny.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

He looked like he was wondering if he'd left the stove on at home...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
roxanne
Club Player

I'm always relieved when no-one tries to sing along - makes everyone look like a d***k.

"He spoke of his stride, his power and his willingness to push himself to exhaustion. All of the things that are on display each weekend in the No 12 jumper" Garry Lyon
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

roxanne wrote:I'm always relieved when no-one tries to sing along - makes everyone look like a d***k.
Some of our guys sang?

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I tend to think that the "arms linked together" by Collingwood was more a gesture of bravado than any sign of being "more of a team" than their opponents. They did a similar thing in the SF last year. Personally I dont care whether the Saints do it or not before a game. Being a team takes a wee bit more than linking arms at the anthem IMHO Its out on the field when the chips are down where teamwork comes in!!!

GO SAINTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Banger2Plugger
Club Player

All the Collingwood players linking arms was part of a former players warmup routine, the "pinchy pinchy" it was known then - he would throw his arm around an unsuspecting player and pinch his bum !
Funny, I believe he is now an aspiring player manager :shock:

If everyone speeds, why haven't you been overtaken?
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Saint Bev wrote:Pretty sure it was us who started the whole arms linked in the Night Granny.
We started it alright, but not in the 1996 Pre Season Cup. As others have alluded to, it was in the 1997 GF. We also wore the same "cross" strip as in the pre season game. Both were mistakes. Neither cost us the match. If you have to link arms to show the opposition that you are united then it sounds more like self doubt than self belief. What next, pawing the ground and snorting?

TassieJones
Club Player

thejiggingsaint wrote:I tend to think that the "arms linked together" by Collingwood was more a gesture of bravado than any sign of being "more of a team" than their opponents. They did a similar thing in the SF last year. Personally I dont care whether the Saints do it or not before a game. Being a team takes a wee bit more than linking arms at the anthem IMHO Its out on the field when the chips are down where teamwork comes in!!!

GO SAINTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
not sure, but from memory Hawthorn did it in all of their finals last year as well.

so yeah I'm gonna say that the way we (or anyone) line up for the anthem doesn't really have any effect of the way we play.

starsign
Club Player

maverick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

It sure was, its bad luck to link arms, as soon as I saw it I knew we won...
Hawks stood with arms around each otherin one tight focused group last year, while the Cats were all jiggling about heads going in all directions and feet kicking to and fro as if they just passing the time away

The difference in body language was very noticable, and I commented to my mates sitting with me

first quarter said it all as the Hawks took the initiative from the opening bounce and swept the ball out of the Cats forward line with ease time and time again

Anyway on Sunday from prime seats on level 2 in the members pretty much in front , our line-up was dead straight compared with the filth who were crooked as a dogs hind leg !!

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Iceman234 wrote:If we get to the GF I just hope we're focussed, intense and tough without losing the plot.

However, should a player be picked off, ala Harves in 97, I want to see us stand up, show retribution, and not give a s*** about next year.

We play for the day and the GF and the sole purpose of the whole season - the FLAG.

22 players giving their all for the cause. If some wear some suspensions, so be it.

Totally agree Iceman...that's one (of many) of my bad memories of that day. Although the beauty this year if we make it and an opposition player picks off Lenny or Dal or Joey then I think King and Gardiner will ensure that the perpertrator does not finish the match.

Pity Cook, Siera or Hall weren't able to take care of Jarman. We did miss Lazar in the GF!!!

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote:
Iceman234 wrote:If we get to the GF I just hope we're focussed, intense and tough without losing the plot.

Totally agree Iceman...that's one (of many) of my bad memories of that day. Although the beauty this year if we make it and an opposition player picks off Lenny or Dal or Joey then I think King and Gardiner will ensure that the perpertrator does not finish the match.

Pity Cook, Siera or Hall weren't able to take care of Jarman. We did miss Lazar in the GF!!!
add eddy to that list if he is playing....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
SaintDebi
Club Player

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:
roxanne wrote:I'm always relieved when no-one tries to sing along - makes everyone look like a d***k.
Some of our guys sang?
Yes they did. I actually quite like to see who sings along. Its a sign of respect that I like.