Garry Lyon - Milne

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ytw
Club Player

Garry Lyon - Milne

http://www.theage.com.au/news/rfnews/ti ... 23799.html

STEPHEN MILNE (ST KILDA)

Of all the Saints on the weekend he would be the one looking forward to preliminary final day, for his impact in the Saints' victory was negligible.

Can't disagree with him on this one, I believe Milne was our only player who did not comprehensively beat his opponent (Harry O) on Sunday.

When Milne is firing, we are invincible.

Your time is now Milney, prove the skeptics wrong.

TassieJones
Club Player

yeah I'd agree too.

I've heard from those at the game that he actually worked really hard up the ground yet wasn't rewarded with possession, (tough to see from my tv
) making it look like he went missing more than he did

but still as Lyon said his impact was negligible, he's one of our most damaging players yet if he wasn't playing I don't think the result would have been different.

hopefully he steps up a gear in the prelim, gets amongst the goals and plays as well as we know he can.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Garry Lyon - Milne

ytw wrote:
Your time is now Milney, prove the skeptics wrong.
hold on, leave me out of this :wink:

GrumpyOne

His finals history does not match his R1-22 history.

Needs to kick a bag in the next two games to cement his place as the best small forward currently going around.

gosainters66
Club Player

cant see him having two bad ones in a row

SAINTS FOR EVER
ytw
Club Player

gosainters66 wrote:cant see him having two bad ones in a row
He often has two bad ones in a row.

He isnt exactly the most consistent type.

You can say that Lenny or Roo or Joey wouldnt have two bad ones in a row, but Milne could most definitely have two in a row.

HOWEVER, praying that he sets the game on fire, kicking freakish goals, never ending tackles and just the incredible presence he can have when hes on fire.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Gary has been listening to his fellow panellist on FC (I did not want to mention his name, seeing it's already getting quite a run on here today)

longtimesaint
Club Player

The last quarter play which resulting in drawing a free and then kicking a goal from a set shot, iced the game. He will often bob up even if quiet for most of the match.

One year will be our year
ytw
Club Player

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:Gary has been listening to his fellow panellist on FC (I did not want to mention his name, seeing it's already getting quite a run on here today)
As much as his fellow panelist is despised around here, if we look at Milne's game in isolation (and not his overall worthiness to the team) then this certain panelist was not wrong about his comments about Milne this week.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

ytw wrote:
ohwhenthesaints! wrote:Gary has been listening to his fellow panellist on FC (I did not want to mention his name, seeing it's already getting quite a run on here today)
As much as his fellow panelist is despised around here, if we look at Milne's game in isolation (and not his overall worthiness to the team) then this certain panelist was not wrong about his comments about Milne this week.
I was more making the point, the Gary didn't really work that one out on his own...

markp
Saintsational Legend

So long as someone kicks the required goals, I dont care.... you'd expect Milne is focused on the team and not how many he can personally kick in order to placate a few media nuffies.

ytw
Club Player

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:
ytw wrote:
I was more making the point, the Gary didn't really work that one out on his own...
Good point. Probably because the other panelist doesn't have a column.

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

ytw wrote:

You can say that Lenny or Roo or Joey wouldnt have two bad ones in a row, but Milne could most definitely have two in a row.

HOWEVER, praying that he sets the game on fire, kicking freakish goals, never ending tackles and just the incredible presence he can have when hes on fire.
Wouldn't that be consistant?

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Finals games:

2009 QF: 11 disp (6 k, 5 hb), 5 m, 4 tck, 3 i50, 1.0
2008 PF: 15 disp (11 k, 4 hb), 3 m, 0 tck, 3 i50, 1.2
2008 SF: 12 disp (9 k, 3 hb), 3 m, 1 tck, 4 i50, 3.1, 1 goal ass
2008 QF: 12 disp (10 k, 2 hb), 3 m, 2 tck, 3 i50, 2.1, 1 goal ass
2006 EF: 16 disp (12 k, 4 hb), 7 m, 2 tck, 2.2
2005 PF: 4 disp (2 k, 2 hb), 0 m, 4 tck, 0.0
2005 QF: 9 disp (5 k, 4 hb), 1 m, 0 tck, 1.0
2004 PF: 1 disp (1 k, 0 hb), 1 m, 2 tck, 0.1
2004 SF: 8 disp (6 k, 2 hb), 1 m, 2 tck, 4.0

Season averages:

2009: 13.5 disp (9.5 k, 4.0 hb), 4.9 m, 2.8 tck, 2.6 i50, 2.1 g, 1.2 b, 0.8 goal ass
2008: 13.9 disp (10.6 k, 3.3 hb), 4.2 m, 1.5 tck, 2.5 g, 1.3 b
2007: 12.3 disp (10.1 k, 2.1 hb), 4.4 m, 1.7 tck, 1.4 g, 1.0 b
2006: 12.4 disp (9.8 k, 2.6 hb), 3.7 m, 1.8 tck, 1.3 h, 1.3 b
2005: 11.2 disp (8.5 k, 2.7 hb), 3.5 m, 1.5 tck, 2.5 g, 0.8 b
2004: 7.5 disp (5.9 k, 1.7 hb), 2.7 m, 1.2 tck, 2.2 g, 1.0 b

I reckon that says that his finals performances have improved, and are up to the point where they're around the same standard as an average game for him. However, it's undeniable that he hasn't really had a standout game in a final - the 4 goals against Sydney in his first final was the closest to that.

It'd be great to see him kick five in a final, but I reckon his performance on the weekend was decent. O'Brien pretty much had his measure but he kept battling on and was unlucky to fumble and a couple of times and get caught.

ytw
Club Player

IluvHarvey wrote:
ytw wrote:

Wouldn't that be consistant?
Consistently good was the assumption there.

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Probably won't kick any this weekend either :wink:

Qld Saints Supporter Group
StPeter
Club Player

He had a poor game by his standards but still did quite a bit more than Eddy.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Milne may not have contributed much on the scorebard, but he was pressuring and tackling. The Pies weren't rebounding off him with ease, as has been his problem in previous finals. I'd say he did his bit. While I'd like him to kick three or four in every final he plays, that's a big ask in finals where tall forwards tend to dominate and smalls fade a bit.

We got four goals and a lot of tackles and forward pressure out of our smalls. I'm pretty happy with the way they played.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
ThomasR
Club Player

I thought Milne's pressure on the w/e was great, did a few good things up the ground and with Roo killing Presti and Kosi one-on-one with Leigh Brown it was probably best to draw Harry O away from as many of those contests as possible. Not a great game but not the worst, did enough

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:Milne may not have contributed much on the scorebard, but he was pressuring and tackling. The Pies weren't rebounding off him with ease, as has been his problem in previous finals. I'd say he did his bit. While I'd like him to kick three or four in every final he plays, that's a big ask in finals where tall forwards tend to dominate and smalls fade a bit.

We got four goals and a lot of tackles and forward pressure out of our smalls. I'm pretty happy with the way they played.
+1

Much like our back 6 play as a 'team' and not so much as individuals, I think one of the great improvements this year is how our forward line has also functioned as a 'mini team' within the team. Each player knows his role and understands that whilst he performs his task it assists the team in winning the game. Even if that task is simply to 'stop' his opponent from being too effective.

SaintHomer
Club Player

1 goal in the past three (losing) prelims tells a story.

yes, agreed that his work ethic and tackling has lifted, but after alls said and done, he's there to kick goals as a forward, and i'd like to seem him do that come friday week. kick 2, set up 2 is a pass mark for me.

go milney!

aussiejones
Club Player

go away Gary lyon...........

Milne did a lot of hard work on Sunday.......... get off his case !!!!!!!!!!!

stinger
Saintsational Legend

no.lyon is on the money.......might motivate him to produce a performance like the one against the lions a couple of years ago...especially if we are playing them again...... :twisted:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Our forward line is now a TEAM.

Yes on their day Milne and Roo can stand out like beaons.

But what wins the big games is everyone contributing

Milne played his role, including with 4 tackles, and remember that in Harry he had one of the Pies best defenders.

Milne had 11 disposals and Harry had only 9 disposal whereas Harry normally averages 17. Harry also had his lowest Dreamteam and Supercoach scores for the year.

*** Did anywone think that Lyon may well have instructed Milne to lead harry away from the ball...and in turn to prevent Harry from double teaming on Roo and Kosi?

The attention on Milne allowed Mini to snag 2 goals.

Milne, Schneider and Milne got 4 goals between them and played their part.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
The Peanut
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:...Milne, Schneider and Milne got 4 goals between them and played their part.
:wink: