Changes for the Prelim.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Changes for the Prelim.

Quite possibly none but Geary , Max and possibly Gwilt will certainly be considered.

Geary for his pace and goal sense.Max for his experience in big matches and Jimi as a 3 rd forward option.

Interested in what the consensus is 8-)

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I'd like to bring Gwilt in, kicked 2 against the Doggies last time....matches up well.

saintlee
Club Player

No change

SaintWodonga
Club Player

Geary for Eddy

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
Sam23
SS Life Member

there will be no change imo

Goddard.
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Still think Max is a massive chance - really matches up well on Brad Johnson, and Johnson is a guy who has traditionally struggled against us - but could kill us in a final if he can exploit a bad matchup, ie take dawson up the ground or take Gilbert back to the goalsquare...

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

IMO no change.

But if there was (and assuming no injuries):

Possible outs: Eddy and Raph
Possible ins: Gwilt, Armo, Geary, Dempster

Max for Zac would not seem likely.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Max not even a slight chance you would think as he has no match up. Only possible is Eddy for either Gwilt or geary. No change for me though.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Max not even a slight chance you would think as he has no match up. Only possible is Eddy for either Gwilt or geary. No change for me though.
And the match up for Zac is?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Max not even a slight chance you would think as he has no match up. Only possible is Eddy for either Gwilt or geary. No change for me though.
I have brought that up previously. I am not sure he has one either but if he doesnt play that will not help Max as they arent going to replace one tall with another who isnt going as well.

StPeter
Club Player

I would definitely prefer Geary or Gwilt for Eddy but knowing Lyon's love for Eddy unlikely to happen.

I like Dawson but believe Max is our best match-up for Johnson but also not likely.
Last edited by StPeter on Mon 14 Sep 2009 2:08pm, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

StPeter wrote:I would definitely prefer Geary or Gwilt for Eddy but knowing Lyon's love for Eddy unlikely to happen.
Something tells me his love gor Eddy as you put it has something to do with how he carries out the task assigned to him by the coach each week.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
maverick wrote:
I have brought that up previously. I am not sure he has one either but if he doesnt play that will not help Max as they arent going to replace one tall with another who isnt going as well.
Yeah I know you have, I posted in that thread, but i would have though Max could play on a medium and even Acker as an example, whereas Zac can't...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
maverick wrote:
Yeah I know you have, I posted in that thread, but i would have though Max could play on a medium and even Acker as an example, whereas Zac can't...
Max's days of playing on anyone but a tall leading forward who doesnt go up the ground are well and truely over.

SaintHomer
Club Player

the obvious matchup for zac is minson if he goes forward. he can be exploited by the doggies faster more mobile forward line.

i am a max fan (more versatile), but i don't like his chances which is a sad for him.

gilbert would have to get the matchup on johnno... he was basically BOG in round 17 with that role.

no change for me (but geary is desperately unlucky).

Milton66
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
maverick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
maverick wrote:
Max's days of playing on anyone but a tall leading forward who doesnt go up the ground are well and truely over.
Max should play coz GT said so.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
matrix
Saintsational Legend

Milton66 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
maverick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
maverick wrote:
Max should play coz GT said so.
thank you

opps
busted
darn
8-)

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote:but could kill us in a final if he can exploit a bad matchup, ie take dawson up the ground or take Gilbert back to the goalsquare...
Wouldn't those two just swap? I watched our defenders last week and they seem well drilled in holding their positions and marshalling each other to decide the best match up for their area.

I believe the Dogs forwards will mostly play up the ground, wing / half forward and try to get the ball over the top to their umpteen players running forward.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

For the record I believe (IMO) there's an outside chance of one change, Dempster in for Eddy but most likely no changes for this week.

However if I was to envisage a smokey or slightly left field change it would be Steven in for Eddy, adding some pace to our midfield whilst freeing BJ up to play the 3rd lead up forward.

Steven has shown (in one game) he can get the ball, tackles well, has pace and knows where the goals are.

aussiejones
Club Player

Are we fast enough against the Dogs .......or should I stop worrying

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote:For the record I believe (IMO) there's an outside chance of one change, Dempster in for Eddy but most likely no changes for this week.

However if I was to envisage a smokey or slightly left field change it would be Steven in for Eddy, adding some pace to our midfield whilst freeing BJ up to play the 3rd lead up forward.

Steven has shown (in one game) he can get the ball, tackles well, has pace and knows where the goals are.
I will leave aside the fact that it would be insane to bring in a guy who has played only one ok game of AFL ahead any of the more experienced group of Eddy, Dempster, Geary, Armitage and Gwilt.

But what I don't get is that I keep reading that BJ needs to be "freed up" to play as 3rd forward. However, I have watched games in which he seems to be expected to play as 3rd forward and note that he keeps drifting back. I actually don't think BJ wants to play 3rd forward: I think he likes being back of centre and setting up play from there. Moreover, I think he is really good at it.

Apart from the game against the Eagles earlier this year, where he played as a sort of unexpected "4th forward", I have never been particularly impressed with BJ playing up forward. I don't think it's his forte.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Faulky
Club Player

What about Max in for Eddy and Dawson moved to become the 3rd forward. Max has played well on Johnson and kept him out of the game many times prior?

older saint
SS Life Member

No changes
Good Balance
Eddy did a role on Maxwell and will look to do the same on Gilbee or Murphy ( if plays back).

Raph gives flexibility better than any of the proposed ins'

If it aint broken don't fix it.

saintlee
Club Player

aussiejones wrote:Are we fast enough against the Dogs .......or should I stop worrying
Stop worrying, we have comfortably beaten them twice this year already...I can't see this going any different...I expect to win by about 30 points

SaintHomer
Club Player

aussiejones wrote:Are we fast enough against the Dogs .......or should I stop worrying
you're a saints supporter.... you'll always be worrying.