Foundation SC Membership !!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Foundation SC Membership !!

I'm going from memory here, so don't shoot me down for something that occured in the early-mid 1990's

Foundation Social Club Membership was granted to the 8,500 (approx) SC members when the Football Club & Social Club amalgamated, freeing up a lot of SC money to be used for football related activities. Part of the sweetener at the time was the PROMISE that;

SHOULD StKILDA ever make a Grand Final these members would be guaranteed a seat

Whether this was a well thought out idea is a subject for debate.

On one hand; a promise is a promise and if that promise is withdrawn then it should be communicated to those who are/could be effected by it. Also, what processes were used to change this condition/promise; Was it at a Board Meeting? or was it an executive decision?

On the other hand, the passing of time has meant that was never a sustainable promise that should never have been made in the 1st place. Consider this;
The 8,500 came from all walks of society and were of varying ages from 18 yo's to retired people. Many of those would NOW have very different circumstances to what they had then. Some would be married with kids, some would be divorced, some would have passed on etc, etc. Many of these situations would make ticketing difficult and messy.

I believe that the BALLOT SYSTEM is the fairest way possible for 2009, but the changes to the Foundation Membership conditions should have been communicated to those effected well before now

Please Debate (in a civil manner, of course) !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

I posted this yesterday Eastern, from a membership letter from 05 - no idea why I still had it but I did...
Just found a letter from my 05 membership...

Quote:
"Foundation Members were introduced in 2003/4, as reward for continuity of Membership they receive guaranteed access to purchase a Grand Final ticket (one per membership) should St Kilda be a pariticipating club. (it is not possible to join this group - intake closed)"

So it was a ticket only, not a guaranteed seat.

ttufc7
Club Player

From memory didn't the foundation social club membership become obsolete when they decided to cap the number of social club members allowed to join meaning everyone who was a social club member would get a ticket.

I think the decision was based on making the ticket allocation more streamlined without having to deal with a number of different catergories of membership. Foundation social club member, regular social club member ect.

If i remember correctly the changes were stated in the membership brocure or the letter that came with it this year

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

ttufc7 wrote:From memory didn't the foundation social club membership become obsolete when they decided to cap the number of social club members allowed to join meaning everyone who was a social club member would get a ticket.

I think the decision was based on making the ticket allocation more streamlined without having to deal with a number of different catergories of membership. Foundation social club member, regular social club member ect.

If i remember correctly the changes were stated in the membership brocure or the letter that came with it this year
My son and I both have Foundation Member still on this year's cards...so did they decide that after issuing them when they realised they could sign up another 3000 SC members?

PLUGGER14
Club Player

Iceman234 wrote:
ttufc7 wrote:From memory didn't the foundation social club membership become obsolete when they decided to cap the number of social club members allowed to join meaning everyone who was a social club member would get a ticket.

My son and I both have Foundation Member still on this year's cards...so did they decide that after issuing them when they realised they could sign up another 3000 SC members?
I did read that the "Foundation" that would be printed on this (& future)year's cards is a "recognition" token only.
Last edited by PLUGGER14 on Mon 21 Sep 2009 4:29pm, edited 2 times in total.

Batnoe

Maybe the first 8500 that signed up to be social member gets a seat?

I signed up last year to be a social where some just upgraded their membership and may have standing room

Just a thought

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Batnoe wrote:Maybe the first 8500 that signed up to be social member gets a seat?

I signed up last year to be a social where some just upgraded their membership and may have standing room

Just a thought
No, pretty sure joffaboy is a Foundation member and he got standing tickets.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

While people may want to debate on which supporters and more 'worthy' than others and argue on who deserved a seat and who deserved standing......

Lets spare a thought to all the paid up members, some continuous for decades who will miss out.

Its starting to really piss me off that this whole fiasco is turning into a giant dick measuring contest on who should be more worthy than others.

Personally myself and my family have been long time social club members, and not that it was easy - sacrifices defiantly get made each year but tons of family's just cant afford to effectively double the price of their 'support'. This DOES NOT make them any less worthy.

So when people start to question, debate and argue over being deserved a seat or a ticket - Remember there are 20,000 Saints supporters and probably about 25,000 Cats supporters, all paid up, all loyal and at the game week in and week out that are already heartbroken on not receiving a ticket.

And before getting howled down by those leading the debate on this issue (and yes it is understood that some can't stand for health reasons - which maybe could of been been accommodated by some sort of disability seating plan) My family and I missed out on GF tickets in 97 being full social club members (scored 2 at 11am on the day), I was 12 and to slowly begin to understand shifty's may or may not have been pulled back then is devastating. But at least this year everyone has got a ticket, because of a system that was easy to use for everyone and one that was well communicated.

I know people will argue that loyalty should be rewarded - But people need to understand that there is as much loyalty in every once of a St Kilda Football Club membership as there is with being part of the social club.

asiu

'token' my left little toe

that 'token' has taken a lot of commitment on my part

giveth then taketh away = no, no, no and not happy jen

or in my lingo , **** off with your bullsh!t

bozza1980
Club Player

Iceman234 wrote:
Batnoe wrote:Maybe the first 8500 that signed up to be social member gets a seat?

Just a thought
I'm in the same boat as joffa

undecided
Club Player

Just a thought
my family are all foundation and have been members for between 12 and 20 years respectively and we all have standing room tickets

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:While people may want to debate on which supporters and more 'worthy' than others and argue on who deserved a seat and who deserved standing......

Lets spare a thought to all the paid up members, some continuous for decades who will miss out.

Its starting to really piss me off that this whole fiasco is turning into a giant dick measuring contest on who should be more worthy than others.

Personally myself and my family have been long time social club members, and not that it was easy - sacrifices defiantly get made each year but tons of family's just cant afford to effectively double the price of their 'support'. This DOES NOT make them any less worthy.

So when people start to question, debate and argue over being deserved a seat or a ticket - Remember there are 20,000 Saints supporters and probably about 25,000 Cats supporters, all paid up, all loyal and at the game week in and week out that are already heartbroken on not receiving a ticket.

And before getting howled down by those leading the debate on this issue (and yes it is understood that some can't stand for health reasons - which maybe could of been been accommodated by some sort of disability seating plan) My family and I missed out on GF tickets in 97 being full social club members (scored 2 at 11am on the day), I was 12 and to slowly begin to understand shifty's may or may not have been pulled back then is devastating. But at least this year everyone has got a ticket, because of a system that was easy to use for everyone and one that was well communicated.

I know people will argue that loyalty should be rewarded - But people need to understand that there is as much loyalty in every once of a St Kilda Football Club membership as there is with being part of the social club.
It has absolutely nothing to do with who's a more 'worthy' supporter at all.

It's got everything to do with disadvantaging those members whom the Club promised something in earlier years and who they have never told the situation has changed.

If one was to take your example to the next level, I could mopunt an argument that Social Club Members should go in teh same ballot as all Football CLub Members for the 11500 tickets. The arguments would be the same.

Why so many seem to find it difficult to grasp what the actual issue is just amazes me.

It's simple.
Foundation Social Club Members were offered/promised priority in 2003 as a reward as recognition for them being existing Social CLub Members. That offer/promise has, to my knowledge, never been rescinded.

As I said, I'm lucky - I got my seats
BUT that doesn't make the problem disappear.

Joffaboy and others were offered priority as Foundation Social Club Members and have been given 'standing room' whereas people who joined the Social Club in May/June of this year have gotten seats.
IMO it's just plain wrong.

OdieCalodie
Club Player

I understand the disappointment of the many social club members in not securing the great seats they think they deserved, but honestly, all of us that are attending are bloody lucky to have tickets at all.

Personally, I like the fact that I am a member of a club that is egalitarian and democratic in its allocation of the grand final tickets.

Foundation membership is a wonderful recognition of your support from the club. You were there through the tough times and put your hard earned $ on the line to help the club. Well, the club survived and as is thriving because of it, isn't that what your support was all about in the first place?

I think people using terms like "johnny come lately" are absolutely out of line. We are ALL supporters of St Kilda Football Club. Our cheers and $ are exactly the same whether we've supported the club for 4 mins or 40 years.

So build a bridge and get over it people. Don't waste the week complaining. We are in the Grand Final and we have a good chance of winning it.

Banger2Plugger
Club Player

Ok - I am a Foundation Member / Social Club Member - but I am not going to blame this fiasco on the club -
THE MCG HOLDS A GROUND CAPACITY OF AROUND 100,000!!!!!
THE 2 COMPETING CLUBS GET 11500 for their members 15% standing room WTF!!!!!!!!
Here lies the problem - all clubs received 1000 tickets (16,000 tickets)- which they all conveniently sell as ENTERTAINMENT PACKAGES!!! WTF - I mean yes - give them 100 each for sponsors etc but 1000 which they onsell at a price greater than face value - sounds like white collar scalping to me!
Not only that - but the AFL has become the 17th club - allocating themselves 1000 (or more) to package up as Entertainment Packages - thats 1000 extra above the AFL members allocation!!!
When Port Adelaide - undersells all the other clubs Entertainment Packages - they all cry fowl !!! well I say - SHAME ON YOU YA P@#$%S!
Your club isn't competing, why should you profit from a grand final that your not in!!!
That's my rant - I almost feel better...

If everyone speeds, why haven't you been overtaken?
Solar
Saintsational Legend

bozza1980 wrote:
Iceman234 wrote:

Just a thought
I'm in the same boat as joffa
ditto but still happy to have a ticket

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
suss
Club Player

Banger2Plugger wrote:Ok - I am a Foundation Member / Social Club Member - but I am not going to blame this fiasco on the club -
THE MCG HOLDS A GROUND CAPACITY OF AROUND 100,000!!!!!
THE 2 COMPETING CLUBS GET 11500 for their members 15% standing room WTF!!!!!!!!
Here lies the problem - all clubs received 1000 tickets (16,000 tickets)- which they all conveniently sell as ENTERTAINMENT PACKAGES!!! WTF - I mean yes - give them 100 each for sponsors etc but 1000 which they onsell at a price greater than face value - sounds like white collar scalping to me!
Not only that - but the AFL has become the 17th club - allocating themselves 1000 (or more) to package up as Entertainment Packages - thats 1000 extra above the AFL members allocation!!!
When Port Adelaide - undersells all the other clubs Entertainment Packages - they all cry fowl !!! well I say - SHAME ON YOU YA P@#$%S!
Your club isn't competing, why should you profit from a grand final that your not in!!!
That's my rant - I almost feel better...
Spot on...and they have the audacity to call it 'the people's ground'...what a disgrace.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

After the Grand Final, I shall be making a representation to the President and Board on this matter. I am lucky enough to be able to contact them directly and I shall do so, only once the "passion" of the issue dies down.

I luckily got my seats (Standard) and have negotiated with some extended family who dont want to be out in the open (scared of the rain ruining their day) to sit in Premium - but I am feeling for other Foundation Social Club members who were allocated standing room. A better system must be created going forward and let's hope we have a chance to work within a new system for many years to come.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
Ice Wolf
Club Player

We should have all got premium seats on lvl2 of the Olympic or Ponsford stand or at the very least Premium Lvl1 seats in the Olympic or Ponsford.

Having to pay the same prices for seats or even standing room in the Southern stand is ridiculous.

The AFL should surely be able to guarantee the competing clubs allocations are all seats, preferably on lvl 1 or 2 and preferably in the new stands.