Who is the most valuable Saints player this weekend?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

GrumpyOne

Who is the most valuable Saints player this weekend?

The Brownlow results bear it out.

Good spread from the Saints guys.

Geelong had only one performer - G Ablett Jnr.

Our most valuable player this weekend must be Clinton Jones.

No Ablett, no Geelong.

BaysideSaint
Club Player

i agree Grumpy
i love the way CJ works into a game patiently.
i tell you what. i reckon CJ will work GAJ like an asian ox.
cats will find it slippery early as they did against collingwood.
they're not that good on their feet early in the wet.
if we get off to a flyer it will hold us in incredibly good stead.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Clinton needs to keep goal side of Ablett, makes him run in circles...

BaysideSaint
Club Player

SainterK wrote:Clinton needs to keep goal side of Ablett, makes him run in circles...
ablett prolly the only guy good on his feet early in the wet. get on top of him in the first half. he is going to have an influence late but you negate him into mistakes early and play the game offensively. just tag the crap out of him in the first half and you're in a good position to win the game.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

At St Kilda, it's all about team effort to give the big guns their chance to shine.

If all goes according to plan, Riewoldt, Kosi and the crumbers will shine up forward because everyone further back is doing what they can and should be doing

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Watching the brownlow reminded me how good Kosi was at the start of the year.

spert
Saintsational Legend

We dont want to focus on tagging too much in a Grand Final -we need to be the first users of the ball..all players are important in a Grand Final.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

David Misson is our most important this week - finally we have got to this point of the season with our core intact. Well done.

If our players can hold together better than theirs it will go along way towards the cup.

Geelong are going in with a couple of guys that are iffy like Stevie J and Otto and if they loose a player early like they did last year it could cost them and the same goes for us.

I am crossing everything that we hold up for another couple of hours.

Still wish Roo would get the name of the brace maker that Jeff White used- that thing was like a mattress.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:David Misson is our most important this week - finally we have got to this point of the season with our core intact. Well done.

If our players can hold together better than theirs it will go along way towards the cup.

Geelong are going in with a couple of guys that are iffy like Stevie J and Otto and if they loose a player early like they did last year it could cost them and the same goes for us.

I am crossing everything that we hold up for another couple of hours.

Still wish Roo would get the name of the brace maker that Jeff White used- that thing was like a mattress.
Will be interesting to see Johnson handle a wet, uncertain surface with a dud hip (if indeed it is still iffy). From personal experience, it is extremely challenging.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

As I said about 6 weeks ago, Kosi is our most important player. If he fires and kicks 5, we will win.

The reason I rate his effort above others is because I am confident that the other guys will perform but with Kosi you don't know what you will get. He is a match winner and he can destroy the defence if he breaks the packs.

The other player that I think has come in to serious calculation is Stephen Milne. The reason we have had a poor return from our forward 50 entries is that we haven't had those 4 to 6 goals from Schneider and Milne. They have to stand up on Saturday and support Roo and Kosi.

We also need BJ to attack like he did in the second half last week. If it is a wet day we need those long kicks inside 50 from Gram, Joey and BJ. It doesn't always have to be precise because we have two of the best marking forwards in the competition and three of the best small forwards.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

This is going to be a hugely unpopular statement but I reckon Garry Abblet should be cleaned up ala 70s and 80s style (off the line) and sent to hospital early. And before all the do gooder gen y metros choke on their cafe farking lattes lets just consider all of the clubs that have done the same to win the ultimate game. Yes the player who commits such an act will have huge scorn placed on him (but not from within).

It's about time we did whatever it takes.

quidnunc
Club Player

I agee with Milan Faletic ~ Kosi has it within his ability to be the deciding influence in the game. If he fires and kicks goals the pressure is lessened on Roo and our other small brigade.

All I can say is: GO KOSI!

Was there on the outer wing as a youngster flying the flag in '66 - still loyal, still passionate!
True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote:This is going to be a hugely unpopular statement but I reckon Garry Abblet should be cleaned up ala 70s and 80s style (off the line) and sent to hospital early. And before all the do gooder gen y metros choke on their cafe farking lattes lets just consider all of the clubs that have done the same to win the ultimate game. Yes the player who commits such an act will have huge scorn placed on him (but not from within).

You know, I'm not normally an advocate of such things...But, we do have to do whatever it takes...

The Saints are coming!
matrix
Saintsational Legend

the 22 that are picked 8-)

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

I agree matrixcutter

Each and every one of our players must see themselves as the potentially the most valuable player and that everything hinges on what they themselves individually deliver.

Noone can afford to squander the 2 hours if we are to succeed.

they must all play the best game of the year on grand final day - otherwise their value must be questioned.

Unforgiven
SS Life Member

Milan Faletic wrote:As I said about 6 weeks ago, Kosi is our most important player. If he fires and kicks 5, we will win.

The other player that I think has come in to serious calculation is Stephen Milne.

We also need BJ to attack like he did in the second half last week. If it is a wet day we need those long kicks inside 50 from Gram, Joey and BJ.
Agree with this post overall. Spot on with Kosi, he fires, takes the heat of Riewoldt, provides some crumbs for the small guys.

Milne fires, he gives us a spark, his opponent has to tighten up, and we might nab a few quick goals from him.

BJ!! Can break a game with he ball use forward of the centre. Sure he is great to set it up at half back, but I think his biggest value to the team is his kicking inside 50. If it is wet and slippery, a quick, long inside 50 to the advantage of our forwards will more than likely result in a mark/possesion.

Carpe Diem
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

True Blue Sainter wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:This is going to be a hugely unpopular statement but I reckon Garry Abblet should be cleaned up ala 70s and 80s style (off the line) and sent to hospital early. And before all the do gooder gen y metros choke on their cafe farking lattes lets just consider all of the clubs that have done the same to win the ultimate game. Yes the player who commits such an act will have huge scorn placed on him (but not from within).

You know, I'm not normally an advocate of such things...But, we do have to do whatever it takes...
TOO RIGHT!!!
And we owe his family and their club one for what his old man did to us in a final back in 92.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

I think Steven King owes his old club a few "favours" too.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

quidnunc wrote:I agee with Milan Faletic ~ Kosi has it within his ability to be the deciding influence in the game. If he fires and kicks goals the pressure is lessened on Roo and our other small brigade.

+1. This would also throw the Geelong defence out of whack !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

samoht
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:
quidnunc wrote:I agee with Milan Faletic ~ Kosi has it within his ability to be the deciding influence in the game. If he fires and kicks goals the pressure is lessened on Roo and our other small brigade.

+1. This would also throw the Geelong defence out of whack !!
Kosi could make "a " difference, but if we just rely on Kosi to make "the" difference I think we will be in trouble.

everyone needs to bring their best game of the year on GF day - all must click together to make "the big" difference.
Last edited by samoht on Tue 22 Sep 2009 2:16pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Agreed, but would love to argueing over the Norm Smith Medalist; Should it be Kosi, Roo, Dal, Lenny, BJ, Joey, Raph or MG ? !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

The Craw
Club Player

If its wet, Milne and Schneider. They will need to be front and centre and waiting for the ball to come to ground.

If it is dry, Kosi. The GF needs to be his day.

Not Craw, CRAW!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

All for one, and one for all.

That is how we can win.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:Each and every one of our players must see themselves as the potentially the most valuable player and that everything hinges on what they themselves individually deliver.
well said. each must regard it as his personal responsibility to win the match for st kilda.

hotdish
Club Player

Defence wins premierships, and this weekend will not be different.

Geelong have 3 match-winners who can end it in a quarter of good footy: Ablett, Chapman and S Johnson. Either three can kick 3-4 goals on a low scoring day.

S Fisher is the key to the match I believe. If he takes Chapman out of the game while getting lots of (efficient and long) kicks, we are a great chance.

Likewise, Gilbert may take S Johnson, and shutting him down is a priority!