My first Grand Final experiance

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

tomnz
Club Player

My first Grand Final experiance

I moved to Australia in 2002 from NZ (I'm Japanese complicate story,,,) became Saints supporter then. The following is my take on GF experiances to my Kiwi friends that I thought I could share with you guys too.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was experiencing sleeping difficulty almost entire GF week with unsettling emotions.
Come Saturday walking toward MCG with only one beer consumed (could not take any more !!!), I was start feeling numb, took our seats in exposed area on 50 meter arc, suddenly I felt very calm.
I felt that I did not have anxious feelings to what I may feel in 6 hours time (yes we got there before 1pm). Rain was on and off but you don't really care, poncho is a great thing.

It was a hard game, there were no easy possessions, I don't know how the players can run all game in heavy wet ground of MCG, I would burst my lung out just to run from centre circle to the goal.
Come final siren that I didn't hear, but I saw Saints fall onto the turf while Cats are jumping and hugging. If I was watching the game on TV, I would've feel angry for missed opportunities and this and that also most likely to feel sorry for myself. At the ground, I wasn't angry nor sorry to myself, I was bitterly disappointed and felt sorry to the team. I stayed till the Saints finally left the ground which was a long time from final siren, it is quite cruel situation. It is great to see the great game live and share emotions with fellow supporters and possibly players, watching TV make you angry and sad I reckon, I watched too many AB's world cup games (especially against France) that made me angry and sad.

I was brave enough to read news papers on following mooring, see all the stats overwhelmingly to our side, we just didn't kick straight. Stats means nothing though, if it did we would lose against Doggies and wasn't playing for the premiership cup anyway.
I went to family day thing at the dome on Sunday. It was very emotional to see all these supporters (report ranging from 4000 to 10000), every single players on our list were there.
No game for 6 months, and we start all this again. It is quite draining to be a Saints supporter.

Go the Sainters !!
Last edited by tomnz on Mon 28 Sep 2009 4:21pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Its a ride, mate. No doubt about that.

But saddle up.

Good things await.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
SaintMa50n

Come final siren that I didn't hear, but I saw Saints fall onto the turf while Cats are jumping and hugging
Happened to me to mate

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: My first GF experiance

tomnz wrote:we just didn't kick straight. Stats means nothing though, if it did we would lose against Doggies and wasn't playing for the premiership cup anyway.
yep, if you look at it that way we were lucky to be in it to start with after being outplayed by the bulldogs (in everything but the scoreboard) the previous week.

good post tom, i enjoyed that.

tomnz
Club Player

Thanks bigcarl

Once I overcome this emptiness, I think I will be quite productive at work.
We didn't play any team song at the family day yesterday (except for the small one from the stand), I think this also show our professionalism. You have to earn to sing it.
I trust the team will win premiership, hopefully not in distant future.