We got beaten by a better team on the day

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bob__71
Club Player

We got beaten by a better team on the day

I think that is all that has to be remembered. Its percentages the team needs to improve. And they need to be able to go as hard or harder next year.

But lets not forget Geelong are a bloody good team. And on Saturday they only just beat us.

Time for a break then ReLoad, next year will be another chance.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Ourselves.

Saints94
SS Life Member

We simply kicked ourselves out of the game. :x :cry:

bob__71
Club Player

degruch wrote:Ourselves.
No Geelong got a higher score, they were better. Hard as it is to admit.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

bob__71 wrote:
They were better because St Kilda allowed them to be!

Another opportunity awaits!
BakesFan
SS Life Member

Geelong stood up in that frantic 5 mins when it counted... Whilst we didn't crumble, we certainly 'wilted' that 1-2% which was enough for them to capitalise.
We need to be better... Ross can make us better if we're prepared to work!!
Go hard or Go Home, boys!! I'm sick of waiting! I'm sick of being a gracious LOSER!!!!!!!!! We have the talent, we have the skill..If you're gonna play with any less determination than Steven Baker, you can FLOWER off!!

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
degruch
Saintsational Legend

bob__71 wrote:
Geelong were more efficient at converting thatn us, which is one of their great attributes. There's been a lot of cockiness from their supporters, but their team knows they got out of jail free.

saintly_safes
Club Player

Granted they are a good side but they outplayed us for 1 quarter , we outplayed them for 3 quarters. We didnt nail our opportunities & ran out of legs in last 10 minutes.If we had of nailed even 2 of those many chances imo we would have won.If you look at the final score line they were the better side but imo we were just as good if not better & with just a little luck we could have easily been holding the premiership cup .
Last edited by saintly_safes on Mon 28 Sep 2009 5:49pm, edited 1 time in total.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

BakesFan wrote:Geelong stood up in that frantic 5 mins when it counted... Whilst we didn't crumble, we certainly 'wilted' that 1-2% which was enough for them to capitalise.We need to be better... Ross can make us better if we're prepared to work!!
Go hard or Go Home, boys!! I'm sick of waiting! I'm sick of being a gracious LOSER!!!!!!!!! We have the talent, we have the skill..If you're gonna play with any less determination than Steven Baker, you can FLOWER off!!

Have not seen it mentioned but talking to Cats mate late Friday.

Roo and Lenny had to have used a % of petrol tank to get us over the line against Bulldogs......

even with the extra days break the physical and mental effort on the team against bullies may take its toll in a tight one.............

I think thats where 1-2% was in the last quarter overall.......

remember we did not kick a goal......

we were having a real crack with what was left in the tank.......the Geelong tank also gained 1 or 2 % from the pain of 2008
when the whips were really cracking in the last quarter

2nd q effiecency came back to haunt as well

bloody hell

saint4life
widereceiver
Club Player

Obviously they won, and congrats to them for that, but better? If you think so.

We had our chances earlier to have iced the game by half time. They certainly never stopped coming at us, so I accept defeat on those terms. They shouldn't have had the opportunity.

"Winning's not everything, it's the ONLY thing!" Vince Lombardi.
Sam Gilbert #1 booster - always on the attack!!!
Win more for Winmar
bigred
Saintsational Legend

widereceiver wrote:Obviously they won, and congrats to them for that, but better? If you think so.

We had our chances earlier to have iced the game by half time. They certainly never stopped coming at us, so I accept defeat on those terms. They shouldn't have had the opportunity.
Agreed.

Full credit to Geelong for taking their opportunities and they are worthy winners.

However.

you name the stat and we pretty much won it. **** me, with that many F50 entries, tackles and the hard ball....We blew it.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
bozza1980
Club Player

They deserve the win because they won.

What hurts is that we were the better team on the day but stuffed it up.

A feeling Geelong supporters must have felt 12 months ago.

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

degruch wrote:
bob__71 wrote: Geelong were more efficient at converting thatn us, which is one of their great attributes.
Did you not see the grand final last year? :shock:

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Not quite as bad as the Cousins thread, but it definitely SUCKS!

bob_71 - if you like it or not, the game will always be remembered, by st.kilda supporters, as the one which got away due to INACCURATE KICKING FOR GOAL.

YOU WILL NOT CONVINCE ME OTHERWISE.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Geelong are a good team yes.

But make no mistake...we lost the game.

Probably should have been over by half-time...but we failed to get the golas when we were dominating despite ample scoring opportunities.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

They were good enough to convert from their minimal opportunities and weren't good enough to convert from our many - on the day that is.

So on the day that makes them deserving winners!

I think the old debate of generating more goals from our mids will be dusted off and become a hot topic of observation come pre-season.

Enough of the nice men in suits. Bring in some admin who demand success!
degruch
Saintsational Legend

saint75 wrote:
degruch wrote:
bob__71 wrote: Geelong were more efficient at converting thatn us, which is one of their great attributes.
Yes, what relevance does it have to this year, other than the fact that the character of Geelong is being played by St Kilda?

yipper
SS Life Member

It was a great game. An epic. They are a great side, so are we. We failed to take our chances, they did. It was a classic. But credit to them, no-one else would have beaten us on the day - only Geelong were capable of staying with us.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
bob__71
Club Player

Thanks yipper thats pretty much all I was trying to say.

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

degruch wrote:
saint75 wrote:
degruch wrote:
Yes, what relevance does it have to this year, other than the fact that the character of Geelong is being played by St Kilda?
A reference was made to one of their renowned attributes was their efficiency at converting and I was highlighting their GF last year contradicts this point. Actually, it has been an issue for them for the last 12 months. Mooney and Co in the forward line have been copping a lot of heat for their 'yipps'.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
degruch
Saintsational Legend

saint75 wrote:
degruch wrote:
saint75 wrote:
degruch wrote:
A reference was made to one of their renowned attributes was their efficiency at converting and I was highlighting their GF last year contradicts this point. Actually, it has been an issue for them for the last 12 months. Mooney and Co in the forward line have been copping a lot of heat for their 'yipps'.
Regardless, I think you'll find they converted very efficiently, and we didn't. Hence, it was an overriding factor, and probably the only stat the Cats won for the day.

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

degruch wrote:
Regardless, I think you'll find they converted very efficiently, and we didn't. Hence, it was an overriding factor, and probably the only stat the Cats won for the day.
On Grand Final day, yes. Only stat we didn't win by the looks of it. You won't get an argument on that from me. :cry:

Fortius Quo Fidelius
spert
Saintsational Legend

Of course we should have won, but didn't. If we look at the cold hard stats, that's where the story is told. Geelong beat us in contested balls and efficiency in the forward line. We were totally inefficient in the forward line, and Geelong's workrate lifted just a couple of percent in the last part of the final quarter. They are faults which RL will identify and work on over summer- something he is good at.

Winmarvellous
Club Player

We blew it, plain and simple. The Premiership that got away. Now I know how Geelong supporters felt last year, although they at least had one from the year before. We choked again. The game should've been ours at halftime, but certain players crumbled in front of goal on the biggest stage of all. And they cost themselves a premiership. Try to spin it as you will, but we lost this one off our own bat.