Gwilt - Still think he can be it...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Gwilt - Still think he can be it...

Our third marking forward that is...

Has great composure, an accurate kick, great build for the position, and above all still young enough to develop.

It's not a glamorous position, it requires a lot of work, continual leading, with little reward given that the delivery goes to our two taller forwards most of the time.

I thought his game against the Doggies was significant, seem to own this role better that anyone else we have tried.

What do you think?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

He is a favorite scape goat on here but he was in when our forward line was looking the most dangerous.

The problem with the Saints is that we still rely on too few for all our goals - I still feel that that is the cats only real advantage over us.

They have about 10 guys who can all chip in to score goals. Saturday was not a day for tall forwards and we still went to them whenever we could.

Gwilt would have at least offered a cool head out there- the guy seems to keep his head and not get carried away in emotion.

Milton66
SS Life Member

Re: Gwilt - Still think he can be it...

SainterK wrote:Our third marking forward that is...

Has great composure, an accurate kick, great build for the position, and above all still young enough to develop.

It's not a glamorous position, it requires a lot of work, continual leading, with little reward given that the delivery goes to our two taller forwards most of the time.

I thought his game against the Doggies was significant, seem to own this role better that anyone else we have tried.

What do you think?
Can he mark overhead? :shock:

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Not sure he was the answer in the wet on Saturday Gringo (he has a turning circle like the QE2) but to be honest all this talk of trading for this role is doing my head in a bit.

Until Lynch either fires or fizzles, we've got Gwilty. Turn him into something! Get him to work on his endurance and his explosive speed. Teach him. He's a significant presence on the park when he's working hard and raking left footers are more than handy esp when your two lynchpins are righties on the set shot.

Sit him down tomorrow, tell him he's got a year to take ownership of a specific role and explain to him what he needs to do to achieve it.

I mean, why not?

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Fair call thinline ,all true -but Im still trying to find easy answers to deal with the loss.

Zippy
Club Player

I'm actually thinking back to when we had Charlie Gardiner (remember, he was bundled in with King from Geelong). Our forward line seemed to work better with him there, even though he wasn't great. so getting the structure right, in this case, is very important.

Possibly even important enough to carry a marginal player? But it's probably best to also have a player who can do it who's in the best 22.

I'm actually thinking of Raph Clarke as an alternative in the role. He can do it - I've seen him play as a leadup forward in the VFL and do OK. Being in the forward line, his occasional brain-fades will be less damaging, and he's got some real ability so the defence will have to honour his forward.

Blindly delusional optimist. Fan of the Blake.

"If anyone disagrees with anything I say, I am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also to deny under oath that I ever said itâ€
Milton66
SS Life Member

If you want a quality fwd, then S Fisher is the go. But you have to find someone to replace his output down back.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Milton66 wrote:If you want a quality fwd, then S Fisher is the go. But you have to find someone to replace his output down back.
Even though it's a team defense, I kind of like him down their in a leadership capacity

Milton66
SS Life Member

SainterK wrote:
Milton66 wrote:If you want a quality fwd, then S Fisher is the go. But you have to find someone to replace his output down back.
Even though it's a team defense, I kind of like him down their in a leadership capacity
Hey I'm with you 100%. If Jimmy can learn to assert that massive carcass of his, then off we go.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:He is a favorite scape goat on here but he was in when our forward line was looking the most dangerous.

The problem with the Saints is that we still rely on too few for all our goals - I still feel that that is the cats only real advantage over us.

They have about 10 guys who can all chip in to score goals. Saturday was not a day for tall forwards and we still went to them whenever we could.

Gwilt would have at least offered a cool head out there- the guy seems to keep his head and not get carried away in emotion.
most def agree

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

I would back both Chips and Gilbo as a third tall, but they just too good in defence. Similiar to the BJ option as a forward, can do it but is too lethal in the middle!

Enough of the nice men in suits. Bring in some admin who demand success!
spert
Saintsational Legend

Gwilt is the only one of our young crop who looks like a genuine strong half forward flanker and if he had the ball in his hands, there would be good chance of a goal. I think he is a late developer a bit like Goddard, but as he is already in the mix, RL should really work on him.

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

SydneySainter wrote:
I would back both Chips and Gilbo as a third tall, but they just too good in defence. Similiar to the BJ option as a forward, can do it but is too lethal in the middle!
That's why I think the club is looking at getting Andejs Everitt.. He could take over Gilbert's spot in defence and play Gilbo as the 3rd tall up forward. In the preseason there was talk of him playing forward but it just never happened.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

A half forward flanker should ideally be pacy, quick thinking and instinctive - be able to sidestep and create time and space and have goal sense and possess a nice long kick.
He must be someone with lightning reflexes and poise.

Gwilt is not quick thinking or instinctive enough in my opinion - he doesn't have the reflexes - you can almost see him thinking(if that makes sense).

Armitage has a nice sidestep and creates space better and is a quicker thinker than Gwilt in my opinion - but like Gwilt he probably lacks a bit of pace.

I always think of Winmar when i think of an ideal half forward flanker... he had instinct , pace , agility , poise, reflexes and goal sense.
He was also the best tackler/chaser in our team and would create turnovers before it was fashionable.
Last edited by samoht on Tue 29 Sep 2009 11:10am, edited 1 time in total.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

samoht wrote:A half forward flanker should ideally be pacy, quick thinking and instinctive - be able to sidestep and create time and space and have goal sense and possess a nice long kick.
He must be someone with lightning reflexes and poise.

Gwilt is not quick thinking or instinctive enough in my opinion - he doesn't have the reflexes.

Armitage has a nice sidestep and creates space better and is a quicker thinker than Gwilt in my opinion - but like Gwilt he probably lacks a bit of pace.

I always think of Winmar when i think of an ideal half forward flanker... he had instinct , pace , agility , poise, reflexes and goal sense.
I think Armo was considered very pacy when he was drafted, but I think the size of his tank has proven to be an issue.

What do we all think Armo is? Is he an on-baller or a forward flanker?

Enough of the nice men in suits. Bring in some admin who demand success!
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

One who can do both.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
matrix
Saintsational Legend

agree
one that can rotate thru both possies

suss
Club Player

I was a huge fan of Jimmy in the earlier part of the season. Jimmy straightened us up and gave us a target coming out of defence.

A lof of the time the ball went over Jimmy's head to Riewoldt. That was okay - at least Jimmy was a third option.

And Jimmy also fed Roo and Kosi with some beautiful disposal. And Jimmy also laid some big tackles and threw his weight around.

I don't think Jimmy should have been dumped from the team so quickly. Jimmy could have been handy on Saturday.

BTW - I love Jimmy. And I think I love Jimmy more than Jimmy loves Jimmy. I think I'm gunna buy my missus a jumper with 33 on the back of it for Christmas. Not sure how it will go down but bugger it.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Armo doesn't tick all the boxes - like a Winmar did.

I reckon Nick Heyne almost has all the required attributes - just needs to be more poised and balanced when he kicks - he rushes his kicks.
He has the pace, instinct, reflexes - you don't see him thinking, it all happens
in fast forward speed.

he is the right size - could make a great medium forward/ half forward flanker.

If he can just learn to drop the ball better on to his foot, take more care with his kicking - he could be the package.

he obviously needs to be developed.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Armo played a great game in Tassie against the Hawks, and Steven also showed he knows where the goals are. I agree they were a bit to hasty in dropping Gwilt this year in favour of Eddy who has average foot skills.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Shame Tungatalum is not ready to go yet- he is still a couple of years away if he comes through.

Would love a Cyril Rioli type quick scaring the opposition backs.

milne has lost pace and confidence but very good when he fires.

I would persist with Gwilt as he does give a foil for the other forwards and he is a difficult size to match up on.

Geelongs smalls are all nuggety types ours (milne, Schniedes) have the builds of school boys.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:Sit him down tomorrow, tell him he's got a year to take ownership of a specific role and explain to him what he needs to do to achieve it.
I have a feeling that's what Lyon did last year, considering Gwilt played the first 11 straight despite indifferent form. There's only so many chances you can give someone - but I agree that there's no-one else on our list who can play the role.

(Brock McLean was the man for it but we've missed out on him, unfortunately.)

makemytime
Club Player

Next year, i think the battle for the mid-sized forward/tagger on rebounding defenders will be between Dempster and Gwilt.

Halo-9
Club Player
Location: Giving the fruit loops and powder puff supporters the finger everyday!

why not big goose?.....i think when he first came to club he was as a forward wasnt he?..

he will obviously take some time as playing down back for the 5 or so years but he could be a real option,plus gives him security of knowing he will get a game and not walk out as was rumoured today.

ST.KILDA are the BEST
So F**K all the REST

*BALLwagon Member #9*

SAINTS LOVE......................SAINTS FOOTY
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

makemytime wrote:Next year, i think the battle for the mid-sized forward/tagger on rebounding defenders will be between Dempster and Gwilt.
how about someone who can impact on the scoreboard a bit more as well as tag?