St.Kilda Team

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintSimmo
Club Player

St.Kilda Team

I would like to see what everyone thinks the best 22 would be next year (considering everyone is fit) here is mine:

St.Kilda 2010
B: Jason Blake, Zac Dawson, Steven Baker
HB: Brendon Goddard, Sam Fisher, Sam Gilbert
C: Farren Ray, Lenny Hayes, Nick Dal Santo
HF: Andrew Lovett, Justin Koschitzke, Jason Gram
F: Stephen Milne, Nick Riewoldt, Adam Schneider
Foll: Michael Gardiner, Leigh Montagna, Clint Jones
I/C: Jarryn Geary, Raphael Clarke, David Armitage, Ben Mcevoy
Emg: Brett Peake, Jack Steven, Andrew McQualter

Gee after doing that you realize how hard ross lyons job of picking the team each week is when everybody is fit and IF ball stays would be even harder. With Peake, Steven pushing hard and maguire possibly in the team and gwilt there about. McQualter could be the unlucky player next year. If X is fit and at Stkilda i still can't find a spot in the team for him so i think he should head to brisbane. No room for Fev, Would like to see a Ben Mckinely in that team tho.
Last edited by SaintSimmo on Wed 07 Oct 2009 11:19pm, edited 1 time in total.

boneless23
Club Player

That would be close mate barring a bolter in the pre-season ala Dawson this year.

I like McQualter in the side for his pressure and role in the structure.

With the addition of Lovett and the emergence (hopefully) of Steven and Armitage, can Milne and Schneider both exist in the same team??

Statsman
Club Player

I agree, it's real hard to pick a best 22 these days. You're forced to leave our 5-6 quality players who would walk into most sides.

As good as Goddard is across half back, and I'm talking All Australian good, I'd really like to see him played further up the ground. He is so much more damaging which he's getting the ball forward of the centre rather than deep in defence. Forward of the centre he can use his vision and accurate disposal to spot up targets inside 50s or run-and-carry and kick the long running goal. I think with Fisher, Gilbert and Raph we can cover Goddard across half back and play him up on the wing. He's not quick for a wingman, but we can compensate for that with Lovett, Montagna and Gram rotating between the other wing and half forward.

"Ask not what your teammates can do for you. Ask what you can do for your teammates." - Earvin 'Magic' Johnson
SaintSimmo
Club Player

boneless23 wrote:That would be close mate barring a bolter in the pre-season ala Dawson this year.

With the addition of Lovett and the emergence (hopefully) of Steven and Armitage, can Milne and Schneider both exist in the same team??
i think they can maybe not both playing in the forward line scheider was sometimes pushed up the ground this year but they have proved they work well together and milne is almost finished.

Milton66
SS Life Member

In: McQualter
Out: Milne

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
boneless23
Club Player

I think I like the following for Round 1.

B: Baker Dawson Blake
HB: Gilbert Fisher Geary
C: Lovett Hayes Montagna
HF: Goddard Riewoldt Gram
F: Milne Kosi McQualter
Fo: Gardiner Dal Jones
Int: McEvoy Raph Armitage Schneider
Emerg: Peake Gwilt Steven

I really think we need to give Geary more game time in the back half next year to groom another small defender to help out Bakes.

Sunday Red
Club Player

McQualter played every game this year bar Essendon due to injury. I can't see him being squeezed out. He's been one of the best adapting to the new structure under Ross.

SaintSimmo
Club Player

does anyone think maguire can make the 22 and who do u pick for second ruck mcevoy or king??? and does steven make the side??

boneless23
Club Player

This is difficult which I guess is a great postion to be in....fingers crossed for an injury free pre-season!!

The side I posted is missing Ray who I think will be in the 22 and Dempster who I consider border line.

If I was to bring Ray in, who would I leave out. Possibly Schneids ??

As much as I hate to say it, maybe Raph??

SaintSimmo
Club Player

i think Raph may (or should) be the one squeezed out of the side next year as he is the least talent from our best 25 or so. Geary should play over 15 games next year and Armo over 10 Milne may get dropped again into the vfl not sure what to think when it comes to schnieds.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Ah depth, it is nice...

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Tom Lynch.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

This may seem arrogant, but I honestly believe we should start grooming younger players during the first part of the season to help sure up our future... however for the last 5 weeks + finals (hoping we make it) we play our best team...

This means that -
Gardiner/ King/ McEvoy will be on roation, two of them will play each week, one will have a week off.

Armitage is a starting player now IMO and Geary is very close.

Steven is the first emergancy,

Peak is only played if we have a few injuries... particularly to Montagna/ Davis or Ray.

My side would be -
FB: S.Gilbert Z.Dawson S.Baker
HB: S.Fisher J.Blake J.Gram
C: L.Montagna N.Dal Santo B.Goddard
HF: A.Lovett N.Riewoldt A.McQualter
FF: A.Schneider J.Koschitzke C.Jones
R: M.Gardiner L.Hayes D.Armitage
I/C: I/C1 I/C2 I/C3 I/C4

I/C 1 = King/ McEvoy
I/C 2 = Dempster/ Geary/ R.Clarke
I/C 3 = Ray/ Geary/ Steven/ Eddy/ B.Peake
I/C 4 = S.Milne/ T.Lynch/ J.Gwilt/ X.Clarke/ N.Heyne

IMO these players will all be competing for the one spot on the I/C bench, they are also in the order that I would currently rate them in, notice this is my rating, not RL's. RL always does something that surprises me and that I don't agree with... but he's the man and I'm happy to go with what he puts forward...

Good god, if we were to get another player or two in trade week what would we do... just imagine Everitt and McKinley competing for those spots too :shock: :shock:

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
S.A Saint
Club Player

Armoooo wrote:This may seem arrogant, but I honestly believe we should start grooming younger players during the first part of the season to help sure up our future... however for the last 5 weeks + finals (hoping we make it) we play our best team...

This means that -
Gardiner/ King/ McEvoy will be on roation, two of them will play each week, one will have a week off.

Peak is only played if we have a few injuries... particularly to Montagna/ Davis or Ray.

My side would be -

I/C 1 = King/ McEvoy

IMO these players will all be competing for the one spot on the I/C bench, they are also in the order that I would currently rate them in, notice this is my rating, not RL's. RL always does something that surprises me and that I don't agree with... but he's the man and I'm happy to go with what he puts forward...

Good god, if we were to get another player or two in trade week what would we do... just imagine Everitt and McKinley competing for those spots too :shock: :shock:
Get on sandy for next years flag :wink: there are going to be some unlucky players next year who are going to be missing out if there are no major injuries (fingers crossed)...however if there was an injury to a player i would like if lyon used a youngster instead of tried players who will also be missing out to see what they can offer the side...because i believe there are a few youngsters who by all reports have a very bright future...

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

FB: Gram Dawson Baker
HB: Gilbert Maguire Fisher
C: Goddard Hayes Montagna
HF: Lynch Riewoldt Schneider
FF Lovett Koschitzke McQualter
R: Gardiner Dal Santo Jones
INT: McEvoy Armitage Geary Ray

Notable omissions - Milne, Blake, King, R Clarke, Ball, X Clarke.....

Expected (Hopefull) Growth - Armitage, Geary, McEvoy & Lynch

Other -

*Maguire to re-claim his CHB role, we thrive on the increase of creativity! (Seriously who do you tag in that half back line!!!!)
*Lynch to grow into the third tall role.
*McEvoy to offer much much more by the years end.
*Geary and Armitage to become certain selections week in week out.
*Lovett to float in and out of the midfield & the forwardline ala Brad Johnson in his hey day.
*Playing with this idea of Goddard at FF, maybe having a rotating tall wingman in BJ and Koss.....

Bit left field - But no doubt we still need to improve!

danners
Club Player

how can anyone possibly pick schneider over milne?

wouldnt you say apart from the 'stars' (roo, hayes, goddard, etc.) milne and blake would have been our most consistent players over the last 5 years?

21 years old, proud member since 1998!
groupie1
Club Player

boneless23 wrote:That would be close mate barring a bolter in the pre-season ala Dawson this year.

I hate to say this, but I reckon the pressure's on Milne. Both Schneids and Mini are better kicks; Lovett kicks goals; if we do secure Everitt probably you'd play Goddard half-forward (or even if we don't secure Everitt) - meaning Milne might find himself in the s*** spot.
Sadly, and i hope he brings his best.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
groupie1
Club Player

S.A Saint wrote:
Armoooo wrote:This may seem arrogant, but I honestly believe we should start grooming younger players during the first part of the season to help sure up our future... however for the last 5 weeks + finals (hoping we make it) we play our best team...

This means that -

My side would be -

I/C 1 = King/ McEvoy

Get on sandy for next years flag :wink: there are going to be some unlucky players next year who are going to be missing out if there are no major injuries (fingers crossed)...however if there was an injury to a player i would like if lyon used a youngster instead of tried players who will also be missing out to see what they can offer the side...because i believe there are a few youngsters who by all reports have a very bright future...
Who the f*** is Davis?

danners
Club Player

we will not get everitt.

and milney has nothing to worry about. schneider is the one who should be worrying.

im sure we got him because he not only provided a smaller option up forward, but has had finals experience.......

didnt help us at all in a game that only needed a few more goals than we could manage

groupie1
Club Player

Could be right, mate, but I rate Schneids. I don't know which of the two kicked more goals this year, but you'd imagine preferring Schneids with a set shot over Milne, and they're about equal for the difficult ones.

You reckon we won't get Everitt coz we don't need him or we can't get him?

I just reckon, looking at the crop, you got Steven, Armitage, McEvoy, Lovett, maybe Maguire, X and Peake, and possibly at a stretch Lynch knocking at the door.

The guys who need to worry are: Ray, King, Milne and Schneids, as well as Dempster and Eddy and Raph as the three '22nd player on the list' types. Gwilt; how does he work his way back in? Can he play full-back? did OK on Fev once, for a whole game. Does Dawson need to worry?

And what the hell is Leigh Fisher doing hanging around? Colm Begley? Why stay? I'm surprised Armitage has stayed this long actually. Luke Ball saw the writing on the wall and probably made the only decision he could.

Tough business, this

danners
Club Player

the dogs have no interest in getting rid of everitt, and we dont need him.

farren ray wasnt the greatest player during finals but he was in our top 10 during the year and one of, if not the best 'recycled' players of 2009.

i agree that king should go. gardy was by far our better big man.

i think eddy is one of the blokes that doesnt get to prove his talent. he has played some really good games but we keep bringing him back at the wrong times.

if we dont delist leigh fisher then i dont know what is going on! its just not fair to him to keep him hanging around when he is no chance of getting a gig

groupie1
Club Player

yeah, agree mainly.

was Ray top 10 in the B&F ? I didn't know that.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

groupie1 wrote: Who the f*** is Davis?
Lol, I was typing a couple of posts at once, I think I meant gram

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
groupie1
Club Player

i thought i'd fallen behind severely, not knowing the squad well enough!

The Doc
Club Player

groupie1 wrote: And what the hell is Leigh Fisher doing hanging around? Colm Begley? Why stay? I'm surprised Armitage has stayed this long actually. Luke Ball saw the writing on the wall and probably made the only decision he could.
I reckon Colm Begley is at St Kilda purely to make Tommy Walsh's transition nice and smooth. His presence will minimise the go-home factor for the Irishman and will help him get to know the club and the city. Don't underestimate how important that is.

The more I look at the club's recruiting recently, the more I think Ross Lyon is a genius.

2010 has a nice ring to it.