Pies Hopes fade

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

thirty-seven!?
Club Player

Pies Hopes fade

From today's Age:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/rfnews/pi ... 08667.html

The Magpies last night were pessimistic of their prospects of trading for Ball. They had believed they could obtain pick 25 from North Melbourne by trading Sharrod Wellingham to the Roos, along with pick No. 30, and hoped to pass that pick 25 on to the Saints, who could either keep it, or use it to acquire Andrejs Everitt from the Bulldogs.

The Bulldogs wanted a higher draft pick - pick 21, for Everitt, which meant St Kilda could not get the Bulldogs player. The other possibility of making a Ball trade was an exchange of young players to St Kilda, but the players requested by the Saints - Nathan Brown, Jarrad Blight and Brad Dick - were considered off-limits by the Magpies, who were not optimistic about reaching an agreement.

The Saints indicated they were willing and able to take Ball back if he could not be traded to Collingwood; they had offered him a three-year deal, but since then, they have acquired Andrew Lovett from Essendon. It is unclear whether Melbourne, with first pick in the pre-season draft, would draft Ball.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Re: Pies Hopes fade

thirty-seven!? wrote:From today's Age:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/rfnews/pi ... 08667.html

The Magpies last night were pessimistic of their prospects of trading for Ball. They had believed they could obtain pick 25 from North Melbourne by trading Sharrod Wellingham to the Roos, along with pick No. 30, and hoped to pass that pick 25 on to the Saints, who could either keep it, or use it to acquire Andrejs Everitt from the Bulldogs.

The Bulldogs wanted a higher draft pick - pick 21, for Everitt, which meant St Kilda could not get the Bulldogs player. The other possibility of making a Ball trade was an exchange of young players to St Kilda, but the players requested by the Saints - Nathan Brown, Jarrad Blight and Brad Dick - were considered off-limits by the Magpies, who were not optimistic about reaching an agreement.

The Saints indicated they were willing and able to take Ball back if he could not be traded to Collingwood; they had offered him a three-year deal, but since then, they have acquired Andrew Lovett from Essendon. It is unclear whether Melbourne, with first pick in the pre-season draft, would draft Ball.
As I mentioned on another thread, the rumours floating around that Hawks are going to make a late play for Josh Fraser. This may create an opportunity to get some kind of deal going?

vacuous space
SS Life Member

If pick 25 isn't high enough, what good are the Hawks picks going to do? The Dogs are after quality picks, not quanity.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

thirty-seven!?
Club Player

Hopefully... I think we really need another team to step in here to help out...

Seriously, looking at the three players names listed in the article above, Collingwood must be stupid not to accept the deal!

My guess is something may finally happen at about 1:45... Hopefully it works in our favor (ie a good player), rather than us just giving in and taking pick 30...

Batnoe

Who would have thought Wellingham was worth more than Ball?!

Maybe they can give us pick 30 and Wellingham... then we can on trade one of those picks and still have another second rounder

Brad Dick?!! Meh, yeah is exciting but goes missing in a few games, and who is this Blight character?

flyingwhale18
Club Player

the last paragraph suprised me a bit

"saints indicated they were willing and able to take Ball back.."

didnt really like the chances of this occuring, considering how badly Bally has handled the situation
'i want to be traded to the magpies'

although Luke has been my favourite player for some years, i dont like the chances, and if he was brought back. i think he would really need to up his game.

but, has happend with O'Keefe before and he won the clubs B&F, so you never know...

team: oh when the saints!
milne: oh when the saints...
team: go marching in!
milne: GO MARCHING IN!
chook23
Saintsational Legend

will we give in to pick 30

arrange another deal

or take the chance he may nominate for PSD if he and club can't patch up

saint4life
battye
Saintsational Legend

...but the players requested by the Saints - Nathan Brown, Jarrad Blight and Brad Dick - were considered off-limits by the Magpies, who were not optimistic about reaching an agreement.
Hell, if those players are off-limits it means the Dale Thomas trade has no chance of happening.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
vacuous space
SS Life Member

Batnoe wrote:...who is this Blight character?
189cm utility from WA. Rumour on BF last year was that we were keen and had a serious look at him at the state screening. Collingwood were picking in front of us though, so they may have beaten us to him.

I'm curious as to whether we were asking for all those players.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
ace
Saintsational Legend

It is quite clear that Collingwood wants to get Ball for free.
They are not prepared to allow any player who may possibly be of any future value to be traded.
That means they will only trade guaranteed rubbish.
Eddie Ego wont let any of his toys be given away, he just expects more christmas presents.
Connors and Collingwood have put Luke in an extremely embarrassing posiiton.

It is good to hear that St klida is ready, willing and able to take Luke Ball back.
I hope that he is man enough to swallow his pride, return to St Kilda, take the flack he deserves from the other players and fight for his place and game time in next years premiership team.

The best laid schemes o' mice an' men gang aft agley.
Last edited by ace on Fri 09 Oct 2009 1:06am, edited 3 times in total.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
flyingwhale18
Club Player

ace wrote:It is quite clear that Collingwood wants to get Ball for free.
They are not prepared to allow any player who may possibly be of any future value to be traded.
Eddie Ego wont let any of his toys be given away, he just expects more christmas presents.
Connors and Collingwood have put Luke in an extremely embarrassing posiiton

It is good to here that St klida is ready willing and able to take Luke Ball back.
I hope that he is man enough to swallow his pride, return to St Kilda, take the flack he deserves from the other players and fight for his place and game time in next years premiership team.

this.
would absolutly love to see this. when the chips are down and every one is second guessing him.
comes out, and really cements his spot in the team.

team: oh when the saints!
milne: oh when the saints...
team: go marching in!
milne: GO MARCHING IN!
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Batnoe wrote:Who would have thought Wellingham was worth more than Ball?!

Maybe they can give us pick 30 and Wellingham... then we can on trade one of those picks and still have another second rounder

Brad Dick?!! Meh, yeah is exciting but goes missing in a few games, and who is this Blight character?
They're not saying Wellingham would be traded for pick 25, they're saying that Wellingham AND Collingwood's pick 30 would be traded for pick 25.

I'd be more than happy to get Nathan Brown, or Dick for Bally, even if we had to give them something slightly more tha Ball to get one of them.
Last edited by AnythingsPossibleSaints on Fri 09 Oct 2009 1:09am, edited 2 times in total.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

ace wrote:It is quite clear that Collingwood wants to get Ball for free.

It is good to here that St klida is ready willing and able to take Luke Ball back.

Spot on! If Goldsack is even "off limits" than obviously all they wont is an absolute steal.

I'd rather see Ball roll the dice in the PSD and us get f**k all in return than see the Pies sing and dance all over us.

As for Ball coming back, can't see it happening, as I don't think Ball see's eye-to-eye with Lyon.
Last edited by SydneySainter on Fri 09 Oct 2009 1:24am, edited 1 time in total.

Enough of the nice men in suits. Bring in some admin who demand success!
stmac35
Club Player

ace wrote:
It is quite clear that Collingwood wants to get Ball for free.

this.
would absolutly love to see this. when the chips are down and every one is second guessing him.
comes out, and really cements his spot in the team.
+1
would be thrilled if that happen tbh

THE GREAT MAN - ROBERT HARVEY
mick13
Club Player

Dogs want Pick 21 or lower for Everitt apparently.

Not sure what difference Pick 21 to Pick 25 has...

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Maybe there are 21 blokes they've identified as being of as much value to them as Everitt is.

ace
Saintsational Legend

When 1:30 comes and Collingwood is still only offering pick 30, effectively pick 45 due to the compromised draft, I hope the St Kilda team will spit in Collingwood's face and inform them they will not trade Luke Ball for the equivalent of a late 3rd round pick.

Then tell Luke Ball he can return and try to play premiership football or go tank for woodens spoons at Melbourne via the pre-season draft.

GO TO HELL COLLINGWOOD.

Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

Batnoe

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:

They're not saying Wellingham would be traded for pick 25, they're saying that Wellingham AND Collingwood's pick 30 would be traded for pick 25.

I'd be more than happy to get Nathan Brown, or Dick for Bally, even if we had to give them something slightly more tha Ball to get one of them.
Then why dont they give us Wellingham and pick 30 for Ball?

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

We probably have no interest in him, I'd say. The fact that Wellingham is worth an upgrade of only 5 spots (in the 20's) probably says it all.
Last edited by AnythingsPossibleSaints on Fri 09 Oct 2009 1:29am, edited 1 time in total.

Batnoe

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:We probably have no interest in him, I'd say.
then we can on trade Wellingham or our pick 30 and 32 for Everitt and??

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

As long as someone else wants Wellingham

ace
Saintsational Legend

Batnoe wrote:
AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:

Then why dont they give us Wellingham and pick 30 for Ball?
Because Wellingham would only clog a space on our list - we would have to immediately delist him, because it would be too late to trade him on.
That means pick 30 only which is equivalet to pick 45 ,a late 3rd round in an uncompromised draft, AND that for Luke Ball.

S.A Saint
Club Player

we are running out of options for lukey ball....hope something massive happens 2moro and we somehow get a 1st rounder for him....i dont care where he ends up...if not then i wont be accepting any of this wellingham plus pick over 30...let him go to melb.....

HarveysDeciple

Pick 30 and Wellingham to roos for Pick 21.

Pick 21 to saints for ball

pick 21 to dogs for Everitt, that's how it might go if I was to hazard a guess.

Roos want Wellingham, Pies want Ball, Saints want Everitt,

Dogs want pick 21.

That could make it work.