Our Rookies

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Our Rookies

By the end of the month we should know which of our current crop of rookies are being kept.

Fri, Oct 30, 2pm – List lodgement one. Rookie promotion to primary list, retained second year rookies, retained third year international rookies, retained third year non-registered rookies

Who does everyone expect to be retained? Anyone else to be promoted beside Dawson?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Gone
Khan
Howard
Miles

Upgrade
Dawson

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Lock it in Plugger!

Another opportunity awaits!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I was hoping Miles would stay

personally I don't think Maguire will make it, would like to have the back up

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I imagine Blake McGrath will go onto the normal rookie list now that he has had his NSW rookie season. And we will probably take two new NSW rookies. Plus room has to be made for the two Irish boys. So there will be a fair bit of movement in our rookie list.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Also Simpkin could be considered back up instead of Miles.

makemytime
Club Player

but wasn't miles placed on an extended b ench for one of the games? I think there was an article on him

S.A Saint
Club Player

makemytime wrote:but wasn't miles placed on an extended b ench for one of the games? I think there was an article on him
yea i think he was an emergency for 1 or 2 games this season...dont think he will get delisted unless he wants to pursue his fire fighting dream/job

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Feel free to correct me here...but Miles has been a rookie for 2 years. Does that not mean he has to be either promoted or delisted? Would also apply to Khan

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
vacuous space
SS Life Member

saint66au wrote:Feel free to correct me here...but Miles has been a rookie for 2 years. Does that not mean he has to be either promoted or delisted? Would also apply to Khan
Under the existing rules, Miles and Khan would have to be promoted or delisted. The AFL has proposed rule changes (that I would be surprised if the teams rejected) that would allow rookies to play for a third year. I'm not sure whether it would apply to Miles (because of his age) or Khan (because he's an NSW scholarship player) though.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Whatever happens with rookie delistings - drafting rookies is probably as, if not more important, than the National Draft for us this year (given our poor draft picks and shallow draft).

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

You can have a rookie for 5 years if you want but they must again go through the draft.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I am not sure, but I think we could keep Kahn if we wanted as a rookie as he was one year as a NSW rookie and one year as an ordinary rookie. In any case, as pointed out by others, we can keep rookies for a 3rd year now.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

miles gone. simpkin promoted. the kid is a gun.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:You can have a rookie for 5 years if you want but they must again go through the draft.
Right now rookies get two years on the rookie list. The AFL have proposed extending that to three, effective immediately. I can't see why clubs would turn that down.

Technically, you could keep a rookie forever if you wanted to as long as you kept drafting him and didn't give him a game.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
avid
Club Player

Miles -- I heard from very high sources -- was very close to playing this year, and is considered a very good prospect within the club.
I'd imagine they'll give him a chance to prove himself this year

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:miles gone. simpkin promoted. the kid is a gun.
If Simpkin is a gun then why is he a rookie?

Have you seen him dominate at Sandy?

Another opportunity awaits!
mick13
Club Player

Moccha wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:miles gone. simpkin promoted. the kid is a gun.
If Simpkin is a gun then why is he a rookie?

Have you seen him dominate at Sandy?
Maybe in respect to him being a late round rookie pick?

He did well to get into the Zebs 1s and then hold his place.

Wigsy
Club Player

Both Miles and Simpkin will be promoted IMO. Miles looks nice and solid and went past a few on the list this year. Perception-wise (for fans), he probably suffers from being a bit of a stock player rather than being super skilled or pacy etc. Could be a reasonable HBF in my opinion, but might suffer a bit from our depth in that mid-sized defender type. The fact that he cropped up on the Emerg list from time to time is probably not to be scoffed at given the lack of chances for so many of our guys outside of the team this year. While the Saints recruiting department have had a little bit of a mixed record, like almost everyone else, they certainly have done well with non-top 20 picks and rookies, perhaps well above most others.

2009 - the year of the Saint (modified name from MasonCJ2)
goodie
Club Player

S.A Saint wrote:
makemytime wrote:but wasn't miles placed on an extended b ench for one of the games? I think there was an article on him
yea i think he was an emergency for 1 or 2 games this season...dont think he will get delisted unless he wants to pursue his fire fighting dream/job
Nine times apparently, maybe more

S.A Saint
Club Player

goodie wrote:
S.A Saint wrote:
then i deff don't see him getting delisted...might be pushing raph for the spot in the back line next year with another solid pre season....

Wigsy
Club Player

That is true.

If the need for a solid HBF type arises, then he'll be right in the mix. I think that's clear from his record. i don't quite understand the get rid of him sentiment on Saintsational. I'm not particularly surprised though - I think some of the reporting back on the Zebras seemed to completely overrate the highlights rather than the 'doing most things well'. Perhaps Heyne is slightly the opposite - all the skills, but at times I wondered at the dedication for the team aspects.

2009 - the year of the Saint (modified name from MasonCJ2)
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Wigsy wrote:That is true.

If the need for a solid HBF type arises, then he'll be right in the mix. I think that's clear from his record. i don't quite understand the get rid of him sentiment on Saintsational. I'm not particularly surprised though - I think some of the reporting back on the Zebras seemed to completely overrate the highlights rather than the 'doing most things well'. Perhaps Heyne is slightly the opposite - all the skills, but at times I wondered at the dedication for the team aspects.
Firstly I hope you see Sandy games to make those opinions about those 2 players and secondly if you are happy with a 24 year old that hasnt played a senior game in 2 years to still be on the list then you must be easily pleased.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

S.A Saint wrote:
goodie wrote:
S.A Saint wrote:
then i deff don't see him getting delisted...might be pushing raph for the spot in the back line next year with another solid pre season....
however, last year (and i can't remember who) there was a guy on the rookie list who was also emergency a few times and he got delisted. soi am not sure that this is a criteria fro him being promoted.

i did here somewhere (it could have been here) that he was going to be delisted. hope not though.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

According to the AFL website, Miles and Dawson have already been promoted.