Are the Saints in trouble?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

fisher_fan
Club Player

In my opinion in 5 years time the Saints will be in dire straits...why knock yours and mine beloved Saints? Well I am not taking a personal dig at anyone in particular, and we all know how agonisingly close we came this year...for me it was one of the most painful moments I have experienced when the Cats kicked that final goal....

LIST MANAGEMENT............
St Kilda has been topping up the past 3 years, taking a punt on players in there mid 20's...sometimes players in there 30's and IMO this is going to take a toll long term. Recent drafts have been a weakness, Luke Ball the prime example and not getting ahead of myself but Ben McEvoy hasn't lived up to expectations...Tom Lynch, Rhys Stanley & Nicholas Heyne still haven't proved anything to me.

Where will the list be in 5-10 years time? We are going to have a gap in the senior age group UNLESS WE CONTINUE TO TOP UP each & every year.

What I see in the near future is Darrell Baldock handing the prermiership cup to Nick Riedwolt....however long term I the Saints ending up in a position like Richmond or North Melbourne, trading away the deadwood for draft picks to "rebuild"

Any thoughts???

such is life
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I don't agree, I think the list management has maintained a great balance....

We have some fanastic kids, many of which had valuable game time this year. Next year will be the time of the likes of Geary, Armitage and Steven.

I think Ben is fantastic, and shouldered the responsibility well when he filled the rucking position through the year. He has much to learn, but I cannot fault his development.

undecided
Club Player

In 5 years, bottom eight. In the years, challenging for the premiership.

We will be fighting Geelong for the top draft picks in a few years.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

undecided wrote:In 5 years, bottom eight. In the years, challenging for the premiership.

If we win a premiership within the next year or two I would take 5 wooden spoons in a row.

mick13
Club Player

Could anyone here really give a s*** where we are in 10 years if we win a flag or two right now?

Fk I'd rather finish in the bottom 4 a few years running if we've won a flag than just continue to be contenders, never drop out but never win the thing (like Sydney...minus 2005)

FWIW I think Rossco are drafting very well.

Jack, Armo, Geary to come into the middle
Lynch the tall forward, Heyne the small forward
Zac full back for 10 years
McEvoy and Stanley rucks for 10 years

BJ and Gilbert are only 23-24.

We're fine.

Zippy
Club Player

The system's set up so that time at the top is counterbalanced by time at the bottom.

Our strong period (2004-2009 - 3 prelim finishes and a GF appearance) was created by our weakness in the years beforehand. Our team depends on core players who were all drafted within a few years of each other (2000 - 2002). I think it's inevitable that in five years, when the core of our team is all retiring at the same time, we'll slip. the trick is to win a flag before then. And to not slip too far, but we're still developing young players, so we won't be completely screwed when it happens.

There are exceptions to the rule - Richmond and Freo seem to permanently suck, while Sydney seemed to make the finals a ridiculous number of years in a row, but most clubs won't do that.

Blindly delusional optimist. Fan of the Blake.

"If anyone disagrees with anything I say, I am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also to deny under oath that I ever said itâ€
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

No!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Legendary
Club Player

A few factors:

1. The Gold Coast/West Sydney. The drafts from this year until 2012 are compromised ... they do not contain nearly the same level of quality talent, and unless you have multiple picks inside the top 20, you are not going to be getting much value.

Hence drafting guys like Lovett and Peake, who can play 4 years and 80+ games is going to give you better value over the next few years, until the draft returns to it's original uncompromised form.

2. Last year, we attracted a lot of kids to the club -- Lynch, Heyne, Stanley, Smith, Cahill, Simpkin, Dawson (was still only 21), Gaertner, Tungatalum, McGarry, McGrath.

That's 11 players under the age of 21 we bought into the club last year.

3. Realistically, once our "prime" group of players (Riewoldt, Kosi, Hayes, Dal Santo, Montagna, Fisher etc.) retire, we are going to need to rebuild in some form anyway.

4. We have timed it so that by the time we hopefully bottom out around 2012-2013, the draft is back to it's uncompromised best, and dual-premiership coach Ross Lyon can restock with kids and take this team back to the top 8-)

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Ben McEvoy hasn't lived up to expectations
Stopped reading about there

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Legendary
Club Player

Re: Are the Saints in trouble?

fisher_fan wrote:Ben McEvoy hasn't lived up to expectations...Tom Lynch, Rhys Stanley & Nicholas Heyne still haven't proved anything to me.
How many Brownlow Medals are Lynch and Heyne supposed to have won after 12 months at the club?

Or would a B&F be enough?

As for McEvoy ... in his second year as a ruckman, he held down the #2 ruck spot in the best team in the AFL for 11 games. He kicked goals, took marks, won hitouts and generally started to look like a footballer.

If you'd seen Dean Cox at the same age, you would have wondered what zoo he walked out of, that's how uncoordinated and lacking in ability he was. McEvoy is miles ahead of Cox, Jolly and similar ruckman at the same age.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:
Coincidence ? nah, me too.

Big Mac has been great and immediately I thought "Where's joffaboy/Stinger?"

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

saint66au wrote:
You got further than I did, I stopped after the first sentence... :lol:

Fortius Quo Fidelius
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

It's not worth losing sleep over because it's inevitable that what goes around, comes around there will be a point in the not too distant future where we have to do our time at the bottom, again.

This isn't me being negative, but the draft works on a structure where success is cyclical. Some teams only get to be contenders for two - three years, others enjoy longer stints (such as us) and others spend considerably longer near the top than they do near the bottom, but at some point you have to do your spell. Though Sydney have argued that theory, as their list is based more so on trading for experience, rather than develop youth, as Paul Roos would argue that being an interstate team in a northern market, they can't afford to cut their losses and spend two - to - three seasons developing youth. But this style of list management risks creating a playing squad that remains competitive throughout the majority of the season, but has limited success in the finals. I know they did make back-to-back grand finals, but that is when their list was at their absolute prime. Being well-coached helps as well.

The same applies to teams at the lower reaches of the ladder. Some will remain there for a limited period, some do a lengthier stretch, while others through poor recruiting and list management will miss their spot in the cue to become a contender and have to start at the back of the line, again.

This is why it is so important for the Saints to strike while the iron is hot and snag that flag before their time is past, as we have enjoyed a good period of recent success and it's now time to have something to show for it.
Last edited by SydneySainter on Sun 11 Oct 2009 11:43pm, edited 1 time in total.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
xander
Club Player

fisher_fan wrote:In my opinion in 5 years time the Saints will be in dire straits...why knock yours and mine beloved Saints? Well I am not taking a personal dig at anyone in particular, and we all know how agonisingly close we came this year...for me it was one of the most painful moments I have experienced when the Cats kicked that final goal....

LIST MANAGEMENT............
St Kilda has been topping up the past 3 years, taking a punt on players in there mid 20's...sometimes players in there 30's and IMO this is going to take a toll long term. Recent drafts have been a weakness, Luke Ball the prime example and not getting ahead of myself but Ben McEvoy hasn't lived up to expectations...Tom Lynch, Rhys Stanley & Nicholas Heyne still haven't proved anything to me.

Where will the list be in 5-10 years time? We are going to have a gap in the senior age group UNLESS WE CONTINUE TO TOP UP each & every year.

What I see in the near future is Darrell Baldock handing the prermiership cup to Nick Riedwolt....however long term I the Saints ending up in a position like Richmond or North Melbourne, trading away the deadwood for draft picks to "rebuild"

Any thoughts???
Can't stay at the top for ever. Eventually we will go out of the top eight & have to rebuild. As for our new recurits they've hardly had a chance to prove themselves. McEvoy has only been going for 2 years... hardly any ruckmen are any good at his stage. And just because our youngsters haven't proven anything yet doesn't mean they aren't AFL standard. Look how well Steven went in his 1 and only game & how well armo went in his 3 games.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Tell ya what fisher_fan - leave us your membership number and no matter what we'll make sure you're signed up through thick and thin through the next 10 or so years.

PM it if you feel you have to.

IC

:D

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

fisher_fan wrote:consider my membership gone, bring on the gold coast
Too bad you didn't follow through on this promise from a year ago.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
Batnoe

ausfatcat wrote:
undecided wrote:In 5 years, bottom eight. In the years, challenging for the premiership.

If we win a premiership within the next year or two I would take 5 wooden spoons in a row.

Serioulsy mate u r a f***** genius

i want a flag and i dont care if we are on bottom of ladder for 10 years, i do not want to be thereabouts without a flag, i want one....

If we had won this year and finished last next year i wouldnt care

if our list management f**** up in 5 years time for this year to win one i will be stoked

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

You know what..I am pretty fair and balanced.

But this is the most ridiculous thread I've seen in ages.

What a pointless piece of trash.

Goodnight

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

fisher_fan wrote: What I see in the near future is Darrell Baldock handing the prermiership cup to Nick Riedwolt...."

Any thoughts???
Yes I have thoughts. Who is Nick Riedwolt and Darrell?

Being a fan of Carrie Fisher or is that Fischer doesnt qaulify yrew too bea en xpirt.

SteveStevens66
Club Player

Total and utter idiocy. Given the system one can make this claim about any of the clubs currently at the top.

Moronic thread.

Carna Saints!!!
undecided
Club Player

ausfatcat wrote:

tbh that would almost be ideal. Get a premiership now then stock up
on the best young talent then get atleast 1 more premiership.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Wow...

The true thread of Win.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
markp
Saintsational Legend

All is lost.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

As the great Harry Who would say; "Amazing."

Stjohn
Club Player

in the imortal words from Fawlty Towers....

Sybil: "Don't panic"
Basil: 'What else is there to do?!!"

" I am a loyal person and at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know I am a St Kilda person for life. That was something that has heavily influenced my decision.â€