Lenny 'The Hitman' Hayes

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BaysideSaint
Club Player

Lenny 'The Hitman' Hayes

How good is he?
Seriously, just how good is he?
I mean the guy is an absolute belter!
What a Legend!! What a Champion!!
I love him. I want to marry his sister!

milney044
Club Player

Ha ha yep, a champ is our Lenny Hayes. It's funny i remember the year we picked him up in the draft - he looked like a scrawny kid and mum and i commented on his unusual name. Never did we expect him to become the player he is now.
But i love him. The way he goes about his footy, his manner, his professionalism. He represents our club so well and i can't help but admire the way in which he attacks the ball and player.
And he is so well respected. My non saints supporting brother attends Saints games just to watch Lenny in the midfield. The guy is a gun, a star and imo will go down next to Harvey in the same sort of calibre - except hopefully with a Premiership.

Btw nice to see a thread that has no relation to Luke Ball. It makes a nice change.

Destiny. It's in our hands.

Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.
TazzieSaintGirl83
Club Player

Total Champ :)

Nothing like watching Lenny in full flight, defintly brings a smile to my face to know he is one of ours

100% Sainter Girl Through and Through
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Wow Bayside..youve been on the red cordial early this morning :-)

Oh..his sister might be available but his cousin isnt..shes married to an ex-workmate of mine lol

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
BaysideSaint
Club Player

lol :)
i've gots to get me her figures. i mean her digits. i mean her numba!

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Matutre professional relentless footballer.

Incredible ability to get first hands on a ball at a stoppage or lay a tackle on the guy who gets it. Makes up for his lack of pace with his attack on the ball or man with it and is pretty reasonable when playing outside as well as inside.

Many on these forums were knocking Lenny in his early days of 2000 + 2001 due to his inconsistency.

Lenny is the perfect role model to understand how much time it takes for a player to mature and fulfill their ability.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
BaysideSaint
Club Player

genuine hardness.

saintnick12
Club Player

The guy is a star. Love him.
His game against the Bulldogs in the prelim and his first qtr in the GF were unbelievable. Its been great watching him grow up from the young kid into almost the elder statesman now. Great to see him now commanding the respect he deserves both at St Kilda, but also in the general football community. His interview in the rooms post the GF was heartbreaking - the pain etched all over his face as he tried to do the right thing by doing an interview. Hopefully he will be vice captain of a premiership winning team next year.... Lenny and Roo are a fantastic leadership team.

BaysideSaint
Club Player

the best

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

My favourite current player.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Pity the club don't think as highly of him. Why did he only place 5th in the B&F? Clearly our second most important player. I know as a team we had a great year, but I would have thought the coaches would have rated him higher than what he finished. He's an AA centreman FFS. On par with Roo re performances in the finals.

Either the way they do the B&F needs to be overhauled, or the coaches aren't watching the game. Pretty confident it's the former as the team seems pretty well coached :wink:

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

Moods wrote:Pity the club don't think as highly of him. Why did he only place 5th in the B&F? Clearly our second most important player. I know as a team we had a great year, but I would have thought the coaches would have rated him higher than what he finished. He's an AA centreman FFS. On par with Roo re performances in the finals.

Either the way they do the B&F needs to be overhauled, or the coaches aren't watching the game. Pretty confident it's the former as the team seems pretty well coached :wink:
Actually, based on an average of votes per game Lenny was reconised as our best. But he missed 2 more matches than all the other contenders, and the current scoring system rewards quantity of games.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Ive also heard that our Lenny is the "Best" sledger in the AFL. His ability in this area is believed to be 2nd only to Michael Voss !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

saintnick12
Club Player

#1GILL wrote:
Moods wrote:Pity the club don't think as highly of him. Why did he only place 5th in the B&F? Clearly our second most important player. I know as a team we had a great year, but I would have thought the coaches would have rated him higher than what he finished. He's an AA centreman FFS. On par with Roo re performances in the finals.

Actually, based on an average of votes per game Lenny was reconised as our best. But he missed 2 more matches than all the other contenders, and the current scoring system rewards quantity of games.
Agreed. He only lost by 39 - (642 to 603) and yet played two less games than all the other contenders. If he had played two of the three games that he missed he would surely have won )needing only 39 in the two games). So in actual fact I agree he has been well recognised for his efforts. The coach has singled him out quite a few times when he usually doesn't like to single players out too often. I'm sure they are well aware of his importance. In Lenny's case, I'm sure he cared less about playing every game in order to win the B and F, and more about getting his body right to be at his best in the finals, which he well and truely was. Lets hope there is more of the same from Lenny next year.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

I just remember a few seasons ago he dislocated a few opposition shoulders with fierce tackles over a few weeks.
Just wish he had done that too Ablett or Chapman 2 weeks ago.
The guy's a gun and a huge leader of the team.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
mick13
Club Player

saintnick12 wrote:
#1GILL wrote:

Agreed. He only lost by 39 - (642 to 603) and yet played two less games than all the other contenders. If he had played two of the three games that he missed he would surely have won )needing only 39 in the two games). So in actual fact I agree he has been well recognised for his efforts. The coach has singled him out quite a few times when he usually doesn't like to single players out too often. I'm sure they are well aware of his importance. In Lenny's case, I'm sure he cared less about playing every game in order to win the B and F, and more about getting his body right to be at his best in the finals, which he well and truely was. Lets hope there is more of the same from Lenny next year.
Dont forget the 4 above him all missed the Hawthorn game too.

Sooo he probs woulda got up to 2nd or 3rd had he only missed one game. Or he coulda blitzed it and won it by 1 vote. :P

saintnick12
Club Player

Lenny missed three games, one early in the year and two towards the end (including the Hawks one). The others only missed the Hawks game.

mick13
Club Player

Oooh. My bad.

Indeed probably woulda gone close to getting it.

rexy
SS Life Member

BaysideSaint wrote:genuine hardness.
still talking about the sister?

:wink:

Maybe this year?
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Still don't agree with any system which rewards quantity over quality. PLayers playing average games and still accruing votes is wrong I reckon.

Correct me I'm wrong but that's what happens isn't it?

Whilst I'm certain that Lenny couldn't care less either way - it undervalues him as a player. I know Lyon has obvious affection for him, but I'm more having a go at the system the club has in place to select our winners rather than the coaches themselves. Roo was clearly our best player this year, yet won the thing by a couple of votes! Whilst BJ was good this year, I reckon his second placing would have surprised most ppl.

rexy
SS Life Member

Moods wrote:Still don't agree with any system which rewards quantity over quality. PLayers playing average games and still accruing votes is wrong I reckon.

Correct me I'm wrong but that's what happens isn't it?

Whilst I'm certain that Lenny couldn't care less either way - it undervalues him as a player. I know Lyon has obvious affection for him, but I'm more having a go at the system the club has in place to select our winners rather than the coaches themselves. Roo was clearly our best player this year, yet won the thing by a couple of votes! Whilst BJ was good this year, I reckon his second placing would have surprised most ppl.
Whilst Lenny was probably as influential as anyone and could easily been a justified Trevor Barker medallist, BJs year was superb and certainly did not surprise me. For every bit of hardness that Lenny gives BJ has class to match.

Maybe this year?
Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Lenny is the ultimate. In the same class as Nathan Burke. An absolute champion on and off the field. Love him to pieces. But PLEASE, he is no hitman.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Lenny is a genuine star and finally got the kudos by being named All Australian Centreman.

My mind is still etched with him straight after the siren and it really put perspective on my own disappointment. He bleed for us. Bev is right, he has the heart of Nathan Burke, and the ability of Lenny Hayes!

Milton66
SS Life Member

Maybe he needs more gametime? :shock: 8-)

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
The Craw
Club Player

Armitage will be the same......fortune favours the brave.

Not Craw, CRAW!