leigh montagna

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

tgf
Club Player

leigh montagna

Just a query on what makes a quick outside midfielder into a top league player? As we all know he was not a very early pick in the draft (even though it was a strong draft) but has developed into a very very good midfielder. My question is what has brought on the change as in his first few years he did not set the world on fire. Is it work ethic or desire to be the best as i beleive most kids drafted have these attributes to varying degrees or is it time in the system. That they eventually get better playing against other good players or is it what they are taught and coached or maybe a combination of all..the reason i ask is that we have had a few quick skillful outside players who for whatever the reason have not progressed as we have hoped or is it just that leigh is a freak who has turned himself into a gun when he shouldn't have??

savatage
SS Life Member

He was always a pretty good player. I saw very good attributes in his debut year - always thought he'd be a good player.

Why he wouldn't have been taken that early on in the draft - is more to do with his height. Recruiters almost discount anyone under 6 foot these days.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Work ethic is what has bought about the change in him and others. Not that he had a poor work ethic, but I think RL has managed to instill into the players the need to push as themselves to their limits and keep pushing. I noticed that with a number of players this year.

I love this club
shmic_s
Club Player

yeah, i also think he went lower due to his height and build. always had something in him. i thought he'd be with us for a while, but he really stepped up, more than i thought he could, this year.

its prob the combination of factors for the right players. some would come into the club v. confident and cocky and need to learn the hard work. others need to learn to be a bit more confident and take the game on. for leigh, i think being in the system, built up his confidence, got the right body and good coaching. don't under estimate the famous ross lyon speach after we declined in taking b. cousins also.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I recall an I/V with his coach from whereever he was drafted from who said that Leigh was clearly the best player that had come through that particiular club for 20yrs and if not for his height, he'd be close to a top 10 pick

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

I think he matured as a person ater a shaky start. He now takes responsibility which comes when older players leave or retire, and you become the older player. He is now responsible for helping to set up at stoppages and he has a distinct role now.

If you look at early vision of him compared to now, he is half the size.

He was given the shape up or else ultimatum and he has indeed shaped up.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Was recruited from Old Ivanhoe.

Gilbo1on1
Club Player

hard work.
realised he was the best runner in the team and took pride and it upon himself in being able to outrun everyone.
absolutely champion athletic endurance.

Batnoe

I love Joey

He is my girlfriends favourite player and often refers to him as 'her boyfriend' So when Joey gets the ball, she yells out' go boyfriend'

She thought when it slipped out i would be annoyed and upset, but in fact i think he is bloody good and could be my boyfriend too

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Batnoe wrote:I love Joey

He is my girlfriends favourite player and often refers to him as 'her boyfriend' So when Joey gets the ball, she yells out' go boyfriend'

She thought when it slipped out i would be annoyed and upset, but in fact i think he is bloody good and could be my boyfriend too
We call him Joey Joe Joe Shabadoo (Simpsons ref). He inherited that nick name from Joe McLaren. :oops:

Gilbo1on1
Club Player

:lol: the boyfriend.

freak athlete. needs to look after his ankles to ensure that he gets the most out of himself.
freak runner.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

"when it slipped out"?

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:

"when it slipped out"?
Saw it but wasn't going to go there. :oops:

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

strength is the answer.

getting stronger takes a few years in the gym. for guys with slighter builds like leigh you cant just walk out of junior footy and into senior where guys are just as quick as you but much bigger and stronger.

takes a few years to match them in that department. that then leads to confidence. thats why i always think u need to give guys a few years in the system before u judge them.

ace
Saintsational Legend

I remember watching him on TV playing for the Scorpians.
He looked out of place.
He was a class player surrounded by clowns.
He knew what was required and did it.
Handpassed when he should - fumbled by a recipient.
Ran past and called for the ball - handpass goes behind him.
Kicks to a lead - hits him on the chest and bounces off.
Gets in the clear - pass to him goes over his head.

Despite this he could not even get a look-in when someone fell to injury.
Clowns were promoted in his place.
He was out of favour.

Finally he got his chance and hasn't been dropped since, just kept playing like he did for the Scorpians but no longer surrounded by clowns.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Good on him, he has earned this kind of respect from all his hard work...I love that our core group of 26-27 year old's, can still get better from here. I mean, look at Lenny :D

Gilbo1on1
Club Player

SainterK wrote:Good on him, he has earned this kind of respect from all his hard work...I love that our core group of 26-27 year old's, can still get better from here. I mean, look at Lenny :D
Lenny is a bit different. Lenny is just hitting his peak now. Hopefully his peak will be for three or four years but yeah Lenny is in his prime right now. Joey will be continually be getting better over the next five years.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:I remember watching him on TV playing for the Scorpians.
He looked out of place.

He was out of favour.

Finally he got his chance and hasn't been dropped since, just kept playing like he did for the Scorpians but no longer surrounded by clowns.
Great post, ace.
I have seen similar things happening with Geary, Armo and Steven at the Zebras.
I wonder how Goose would have found going back to the slower paced VFL. He would benefit greatly from a full pre season and training with the main defensive squad from now until the beginning of the 2010 season. That would give him the best chance of forcing his way back in to the side.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

i remembr when we drafted him ...saints said all of that crop would make the grade and that joey would be another aussie.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Milan Faletic wrote:
ace wrote:I remember watching him on TV playing for the Scorpians.
He looked out of place.

He was out of favour.

Great post, ace.
I have seen similar things happening with Geary, Armo and Steven at the Zebras.
I wonder how Goose would have found going back to the slower paced VFL. He would benefit greatly from a full pre season and training with the main defensive squad from now until the beginning of the 2010 season. That would give him the best chance of forcing his way back in to the side.
Completely agree, Geary, Armo, Steven and also Stanley, Lynch and Heyne are all such exciting prospects, they're all a league above the VFL, I hope they can find their feet in the big league.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!