Matt Burgan's 2009 phantom draft

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

JABBER
Club Player

Matt Burgan's 2009 phantom draft

On the afl.com.au website Matt Burgans has got

32. Sam Reid
60. Nicholas Winmar
64. Marcus Davies
77. Josh Donaldson

dont know much about Davies and donaldson

Luke ball at 30 collingwood

left out Mark hutchings wa captain

trevor barker
xander
Club Player

I wouldnt mind getting those players. Burgan seems to know what he's talking about he predicted we'd take lynch last year. I would have thought Ball wouldnt last to collingwood at 30 with melbourne, essendon & the lions all keen.

Banger724
Club Player

Be nice to have another N Winmar in the side...

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

As I have posted elsewhere, what relation is he to our Nicky? 2nd Cousin?

saintlee
Club Player

borderbarry wrote:As I have posted elsewhere, what relation is he to our Nicky? 2nd Cousin?
Yes, I belive so. Not a close relation

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Burgan also has us linked to the following players:

18. Mitch Duncan
38. Jesse Crichton
41. Ryan Harwood
43. Dylan Robertson
46. Sam Shaw
52. Ben Stratton
71. David Astbury

I'm not totally convinced that Winmar is an RL sort of player, but there isn't going to be a lot around at 60-onwards. I was hoping for Jordan Williams, but Burgan has him at 59. If the draft falls that way, I think we'll have done pretty well. Either way, they kids aren't going to get a lot of AFL gametime next year.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
ace
Saintsational Legend

xander wrote:I wouldnt mind getting those players. Burgan seems to know what he's talking about he predicted we'd take lynch last year. I would have thought Ball wouldnt last to collingwood at 30 with melbourne, essendon & the lions all keen.

Burgan believes that Ball's draft tampering will work.

As does Matt Rendell, now Adelaide's recruiting manager.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
ace
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:Burgan also has us linked to the following players:

18. Mitch Duncan
38. Jesse Crichton
41. Ryan Harwood
43. Dylan Robertson
46. Sam Shaw
52. Ben Stratton
71. David Astbury

I'm not totally convinced that Winmar is an RL sort of player, but there isn't going to be a lot around at 60-onwards. I was hoping for Jordan Williams, but Burgan has him at 59. If the draft falls that way, I think we'll have done pretty well. Either way, they kids aren't going to get a lot of AFL gametime next year.
Not to mention also linked St Kilda to Luke Thompson, Will Johnson, Jonny Rayner.

Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

I would be over the moon to get Davies at pick 64...

I wouldn't be disappointed if we took him with pick 32 to be honest... he is exactly what we need IMO...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
xander
Club Player

Its interesting reading burgaton's previous phantom drafts. They generally seem pretty accurate for the first round but i guess after that it really becomes a lottery.

And his 01 draft has us taking judd at 2, hodge at 5 and Stevie J at 21. :D

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

xander wrote:Its interesting reading burgaton's previous phantom drafts. They generally seem pretty accurate for the first round but i guess after that it really becomes a lottery.

And his 01 draft has us taking judd at 2, hodge at 5 and Stevie J at 21. :D
:(:(:(:(

If only... could you imagine these lines...

HB: B.Goddard S.Fisher L.Hodge

C: A.Lovett N.Dal Santo L.Montagna
R: M.Gardiner L.Hayes C.Judd

HF: S.Johnson N.Riewoldt A.Schneider

If only... if only...

384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

60 - ST KILDA - Nicholas Winmar
DOB: 27/04/91, Height: 190cm, Weight: 78kg
Recruited from: Scarborough/Claremont (WA)
Draft range: 32-77
Meet Nicholas Winmar

Winmar is the second cousin of St Kilda great Nicky Winmar and will definitely be taken at this pick if available. There is a genuine possibility the Saints could select him with their first pick at No.32. It is not mere romance that sees Winmar linked to his relative's old team - the club's recruiters rate enormously Winmar's versatility and ability to run from half-back. A fluent mover and penetrating kick, Winmar was ranked equal second in the kicking test at this year's draft camp. Collingwood and Hawthorn have also been linked to Winmar.
Seems just like the sort of player RL loves... might make up for not landing Everitt :)

henno
Club Player

hmm sure the descriptions sound good, but you must remember the description of a certain whippinh boy around here...

8. St Kilda - Raphael Clarke
(St Marys/Darwin) 24 September 1985, 187.9cm, 77.1kg

Will he be a Bomber or will the fairytale of joining his older brother Xavier at the Saints come true? It’s a real toss of the coin, but with the Dons also considering Tenace and McLean at No.6, Clarke could land at No.8 for the Saints, the way the cards are falling, potentially ending over two years of speculation over whether his future would be at Moorabbin. One of the finest Northern Territorian footballers to emerge in recent years, Clarke is a classy outside forward/midfielder, who has the ability to win a game off his own boot. He rarely gets beaten in one-on-one contests and possesses a good aerobic capacity. He represented the Northern Territory in the 2001-02-03 National AFL under 18 championships and would have been a certainty to be selected in last year’s National AFL Draft had he been eligible. The Saints have let their feelings known that they are in the market for Clarke, but should he slip to Sheedy and co at Windy Hill, don’t be surprised if the Saints opt for McLean, Sandringham Dragons’ key forward Fergus Watts or hard-nut West Adelaide defender Beau Waters.

saints 2011.
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Interesting.....Clarke is a classy outside forward/midfielder, who has the ability to win a game off his own boot.

So where have we been playing him?

xander
Club Player

borderbarry wrote:Interesting.....Clarke is a classy outside forward/midfielder, who has the ability to win a game off his own boot.

I actually think he'd be good as a forward he seemed to go alright in the final against Collingwood and there wouldn't be the pressure their is in defence.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Interesting.....Clarke is a classy outside forward/midfielder, who has the ability to win a game off his own boot.

Who is this Clarke guy you are talking about. We only have one and raph doesnt fit any of those things. Maybe you mean X but he has gone and Matthew Clarke I think retired.

Shaggy
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:

Who is this Clarke guy you are talking about. We only have one and raph doesnt fit any of those things. Maybe you mean X but he has gone and Matthew Clarke I think retired.
Who are you talking to? I doubt Burgan who made the Clarke comment reads this site.

ace
Saintsational Legend

henno wrote:hmm sure the descriptions sound good, but you must remember the description of a certain whippinh boy around here...

Will he be a Bomber or will the fairytale of joining his older brother Xavier at the Saints come true? It’s a real toss of the coin, but with the Dons also considering Tenace and McLean at No.6, Clarke could land at No.8 for the Saints, the way the cards are falling, potentially ending over two years of speculation over whether his future would be at Moorabbin. One of the finest Northern Territorian footballers to emerge in recent years, Clarke is a classy outside forward/midfielder, who has the ability to win a game off his own boot. He rarely gets beaten in one-on-one contests and possesses a good aerobic capacity. He represented the Northern Territory in the 2001-02-03 National AFL under 18 championships and would have been a certainty to be selected in last year’s National AFL Draft had he been eligible. The Saints have let their feelings known that they are in the market for Clarke, but should he slip to Sheedy and co at Windy Hill, don’t be surprised if the Saints opt for McLean, Sandringham Dragons’ key forward Fergus Watts or hard-nut West Adelaide defender Beau Waters.
Gee, lucky we didn't select Fergus Watts that would have been a disaster!
Ducked a bullet there and then later shot ourselves in the head.

xander
Club Player

ace wrote:
henno wrote:hmm sure the descriptions sound good, but you must remember the description of a certain whippinh boy around here...

Gee, lucky we didn't select Fergus Watts that would have been a disaster!
Ducked a bullet there and then later shot ourselves in the head.
Indeed in fact all the other options don't seem that good. McLean is a poor man's Ball and Waters is injury prone.

goodie
Club Player

That was a very average draft that one. Apparently about half the first rounders were delisted within four years. Fortunately the Saints plucked out a mature ager late who's done a bit of all right since then.