Will the club ever admit it erred in drafting LOVETT..

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Will the club ever admit it erred in drafting LOVETT..

I wonder if the club and list managers will ever publicly admit it erred in drafting LOVETT... everyone knew he was damaged property!

I think the general membership are owed a public apology.

Obviously there may be legal restraints in what they can say at this time, but I think the club need to make a statement re this and the BALL issue so that their supporters can bury them and look forward to 2010.

For me recruiting LOVETT was like regressing to the St Kilda of old - picking up other clubs garbage! This debacle on top of the club moving on of three of it's most loved players in Maguire, X Clarke & Ball has created a level of mistrust amongst supporters.

The current management need to remember the clubs history of poor recruiting and the affect it has on it's membership. Yes there has been recuiting success stories but over the course of time the negitives far out weigh the positive!

Some form of explaination and admission from the club is required to restore my faith in the current administration.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

whatever.

Has he been sacked?

Will he be sacked?

IF he was to be sacked, it would've occured already IMHFO.

I hope he plays for us and is the GUN he was for Essendon in 2009.

...and you have egg on your face.

Of course, Lovett is an IDIOT for what he has done over the past few months, no denying that for a minute!

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Is this thread a joke?

Lovett was a risk.....End story. I was rapt to get him, but just because the cards havn't fallen our way doesnt give every supporter the right to think we were completely mad to recruit him.

And Ball walked. 350+k contract on the table. Get stuck into him, he is the reason we went....Ask him for an explanation. I didnt agree with him being dropped, but I believe the coach should be able to coach and select for whatever reason without players going on a sook parade. No one is untouchable.......

I disagree with Xavier moving, but he was going to struggle for our best 22 this year, especially given he was post acl......Word is he wanted to go for a 2 year contract.

Maguire I disagreed with his delisting.....But he didnt play all year.

Overall, dont act as if you had a crystal ball regarding Lovett. He was EXACTLY the player we needed and was sort after by port and brisbane......we got him for less money and less years. It was a risk, but one I believe was worth taking to recruit a player I believe we lacked in our squad.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Will the club ever admit it erred in drafting LOVETT..

WinnersOnly wrote:I wonder if the club and list managers will ever publicly admit it erred in drafting LOVETT... everyone knew he was damaged property!

I think the general membership are owed a public apology.

Obviously there may be legal restraints in what they can say at this time, but I think the club need to make a statement re this and the BALL issue so that their supporters can bury them and look forward to 2010.

For me recruiting LOVETT was like regressing to the St Kilda of old - picking up other clubs garbage! This debacle on top of the club moving on of three of it's most loved players in Maguire, X Clarke & Ball has created a level of mistrust amongst supporters.

The current management need to remember the clubs history of poor recruiting and the affect it has on it's membership. Yes there has been recuiting success stories but over the course of time the negitives far out weigh the positive!

Some form of explaination and admission from the club is required to restore my faith in the current administration.
Ball is gone and Lovett is suspended and is currently not involved in the club in any way, shape or form. As far as I'm concerned, the club is moving ahead with it's premiership tilt and the only one's who still keep using Lovett as a roadblock are the supporters.

As for X and Maguire, let go of that candle. The club doesn't need to explain anything. Name me one year when X set the field alight and proved he was the gun his top 5 pick suggested. As for Maguire, not even Carlton gambled on him and he was training with them. How late he was taken in the draft show there are still a lot of question marks over his bodies stability and from what I've read, he lucky to be walking again after his injury.

If you think this is enough to completely undo all the great work the current administration has done then we are no where near a flag.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:

How about that we played in a GF last year and are favourites for 2010?

Goose, X and Ball: all three for various reasons have delivered little over the last 3 seasons.

Goose? Let him go FFS. No way he was going to play with us in 2010 if retained.

X: Armo and Steven would have been in front of him.

Ball. See X. plus freed up cash will help us retain the players we want.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
GrumpyOne

Sorry Winners, but your post was crap.

Nothing ventured nothing gained.

It was a calculated risk.

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

Ross Lyon will issue a personal apology to you from the Premiership dais with the cup in his hand.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Thats plain ridiculous, should they apologise for Zac as well, while we are at it, what about Farren, maybe they should apoligise for CJ, he was a definate risk as a mature age draftee. etc etc............... :roll:

Qld Saints Supporter Group
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Why would or should they apologize. In hindsight it didnt work out but that is life. And what happened to you being happy Ball went or are you just a poster who complains what ever the club do.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Your nickname must be ironic. Winners take risks. Losers play it safe.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Steady up - some explaination is reasonable...

plugger66 wrote:Why would or should they apologize. In hindsight it didnt work out but that is life. And what happened to you being happy Ball went or are you just a poster who complains what ever the club do.
I gather we are all paid up members on this site and as such we are entitled to some explaination regarding the above.

LOVETT is and was a head case - IMO should not have gone near him! We waisted Draft Selection #16 on him should have maintained a youth policy.

BALL wanted out but again the bloodied mindedness of a few cost the club Draft Selection #30 and a reasonable player.

That's 3 chances of drafting/trading for a quality young player who would be about for 10 years - not regressing to the old times and as stated before collecting other clubs 'garbage'.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Do any clubs apologise for any thing to do with drafting/trading it's always a risk, a calculated risk but a risk it is. You sound as if they knew Lovett would be involved in this incident, how the f*** could they even guess this was going to happen? Slapping his missus and getting pissed is a far cry from alleged rape.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

What drafting risks have the last two premiers taken!

InkerSaint wrote:Your nickname must be ironic. Winners take risks. Losers play it safe.
What drafting risks have the last two premiers taken! Perhaps they should be known as losers!

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Re: Steady up - some explaination is reasonable...

WinnersOnly wrote:That's 3 chances of drafting/trading for a quality young player who would be about for 10 years - not regressing to the old times and as stated before collecting other clubs 'garbage'.

Instead we went for a player that could've made a difference on the last day of september this year...........

Coaches/recruiters have to weigh up the odds of success, they obviously came to the conclusion that the odds of success were greater by getting Lovett than taking a pick 16 player in a shallow draft.

They don't have benfit of hind sight like some here seem to think they should have with every pick and recruitment, and yes the last two premiers have taken draft risks that haven't paid off, people forget them because they won a premiership.

some examples

Nathan Ablett, Mitchell Brown, Dawson Simpson, Nathan Djerrkura, Stephen Owen, a example of high draft pick duds over the last 4 years.

Tom Harley was a average player from port he was a risk they gave away pick 36, Brad Ottens was a over rated injury prone ruckman from Richmond who they gave up for a 1st round draft pick and good young player (what would've happened if he knee went again in that pre-season).

Geelong since 2003 has traded for these duds that had little of no effect on their side.

Simon Beaumont
David Loats
Ben Finnin

What about this year they traded for Marcus Drumm what happens if he doesn't play a game for the cats.

Every trade is a risk and saying a team never took any risks is just silly talk, no team has won a premiership for the last 10 years without taking risks. There are no guareentees in any draft pick or trade.
Last edited by ausfatcat on Sun 17 Jan 2010 6:10pm, edited 1 time in total.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

I wonder if any contacted his ex partner before draft?

ausfatcat wrote:Do any clubs apologise for any thing to do with drafting/trading it's always a risk, a calculated risk but a risk it is. You sound as if they knew Lovett would be involved in this incident, how the f*** could they even guess this was going to happen? Slapping his missus and getting pissed is a far cry from alleged rape.
I bet the guy has a history for a lack of respect for women and no they couldn't foresee the rape allegation but I bet they knew he was a problem child why else would Essendon so keen to off load him. Things like this usually have a miriad of past issues that have been covered up by the club or his family (ex partner).

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:Is this thread a joke?

Lovett was a risk.....End story. I was rapt to get him, but just because the cards havn't fallen our way doesnt give every supporter the right to think we were completely mad to recruit him.

And Ball walked. 350+k contract on the table. Get stuck into him, he is the reason we went....Ask him for an explanation. I didnt agree with him being dropped, but I believe the coach should be able to coach and select for whatever reason without players going on a sook parade. No one is untouchable.......

I disagree with Xavier moving, but he was going to struggle for our best 22 this year, especially given he was post acl......Word is he wanted to go for a 2 year contract.

Maguire I disagreed with his delisting.....But he didnt play all year.

Overall, dont act as if you had a crystal ball regarding Lovett. He was EXACTLY the player we needed and was sort after by port and brisbane......we got him for less money and less years. It was a risk, but one I believe was worth taking to recruit a player I believe we lacked in our squad.
Spot on.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Instead we went for a player that could've made a difference on the last day of september this year...........[/quote]

When was LOVETT a proven finals performer or for that matter a big game player? I woudl have rather seen one of developing kids Steven, Lynch, Heyne etc given more chances.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Why would or should they apologize. In hindsight it didnt work out but that is life. And what happened to you being happy Ball went or are you just a poster who complains what ever the club do.
I gather we are all paid up members on this site and as such we are entitled to some explaination regarding the above.

LOVETT is and was a head case - IMO should not have gone near him! We waisted Draft Selection #16 on him should have maintained a youth policy.

BALL wanted out but again the bloodied mindedness of a few cost the club Draft Selection #30 and a reasonable player.

That's 3 chances of drafting/trading for a quality young player who would be about for 10 years - not regressing to the old times and as stated before collecting other clubs 'garbage'.
So what would they say to make you happy? We stuffed up. Would that help. I dont think so. There is nothing the club could say to make all members happy. What may make you happy doesnt necessarily make another person happy. There is an easy solution if you are that upset. Do what Tigers supporters love doing, throw away your membership. Or be a real Saints supporter and trust the club afterall we were the second best side last season and are favourites to be the best this year.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:
So what would they say to make you happy? We stuffed up. Would that help. I dont think so. There is nothing the club could say to make all members happy. What may make you happy doesnt necessarily make another person happy. There is an easy solution if you are that upset. Do what Tigers supporters love doing, throw away your membership. Or be a real Saints supporter and trust the club afterall we were the second best side last season and are favourites to be the best this year.
Thats it 'blind faith' will resolve the issue it has worked at the SAINTS for the past 100 years.

Milton66
SS Life Member

And had this not happened, what would your views be?

Oh yeah, a close friend who knows someone at the club told me that when they interviewed Lovett, he tol Ross that he'll do his best, but there's a good chance he migh get tangled up in an alleged rape... and yet they recruited him anyway.

Yes, they should apologise. :roll:

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
vacuous space
SS Life Member

WinnersOnly wrote:I wonder if the club and list managers will ever publicly admit it erred in drafting LOVETT... everyone knew he was damaged property!
After a quick look at your posting history, I'm struggling to find the posts where you warned against picking up such damaged goods. They must have been deleted, yeah? You certainly were on here during trade week. Why didn't you let the club know? I think you owe the club an apology.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

It's a bit like asking Lovett's mum and Dad to apologise for bringing him into this world.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

what ur asking is pretty unprofessional IMO as well

to make a public statement along the lines of we made an error by picking an undisciplined loser

as long as they are very clear with the club's ultimate decision i couldn't care less

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Re: What drafting risks have the last two premiers taken!

WinnersOnly wrote:
InkerSaint wrote:Your nickname must be ironic. Winners take risks. Losers play it safe.
What drafting risks have the last two premiers taken! Perhaps they should be known as losers!
Buddy Franklin

Brad Ottens

NEXT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote: I gather we are all paid up members on this site and as such we are entitled to some explaination regarding the above.
Where is it written in the conditions of membership that you are entitled to anything but a seat for 11 games a year??

Wake up to yourself.

Crap thread, overriding sense of entitlement :roll: :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)