Club announces small operating profit for 2009

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Club announces small operating profit for 2009

http://www.saints.com.au/season2009/new ... fault.aspx (thanks Brat for the link :))

The St Kilda Football Club has posted an operating profit of $177,335 after achieving a net profit of $1,136,458, which includes funding and expenditure for the Club’s Frankston and Moorabbin redevelopment projects.

St Kilda CEO Michael Nettlefold said, “From the commencement of this current Board’s tenure, we have committed to ensuring an extended period of stability. We have worked hard to gradually improve the financial position of the Club to a point where we have now turned our first profit.â€

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Good news, might have a look at the report.

So does that mean the money for the new facility was included as an expense/asset or whatever?

Also, who has been to the AGM before....Worth going?

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Seems to me the saints are in their best position that I can remember for years but the following thinfs in the report intrigue me

Demolition & Emergency Order Costs:
Linton Street Property 796,933 what is this? a lot of money being spent on linton st edit: it was the grandstand removals in which we were given 520g's to do it.

1,752,462 paid to the building of frankston (we received 1,195,979 from someone to cover this therefore we have paid 500g's of our 1.2 million obligation)

without the linton st and frankston things we would've made nearly a million this year. Not bad after a 400g's loss last year

I still don't llike paying out 80g's in legal fees to Gdanski thou, it just looks plain bad even if it is at a massive discount.

Can't find where it says the saints are a ongoing concern as a entity (which has been in every financial report of the saints I have ever read) edit: found it poage 19
Last edited by ausfatcat on Mon 18 Jan 2010 6:59pm, edited 1 time in total.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Potentially the quietest AGM for ages

No malcontents screaming blue murder for not drafting Ben Cousins, no board changes, weve turned a profit..and the Belvedere Park argument seems to have settled down

Pretty uneventful Id say

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Legendary
Club Player

Re: Club announces small operating profit for 2009

Sensational result from the club.

A few very positive aspects of that report:

[quote="evertonfc"]“A vital part of our Club, and the Saints’ bottom line, is the continual support from our loyal members. We established a new membership record in 2009 with 33,522 committed members who not only filled stadiums nationwide, but were responsible for a $565,464 increase in net profit,â€

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Memebership and Reserve Seat Income was 6.6 million.
How does that conpare with teh Hawthorn figure (on 50,000+ members as against our 33,000+)?

Ice Wolf
Club Player

saint66au wrote:Potentially the quietest AGM for ages

No malcontents screaming blue murder for not drafting Ben Cousins, no board changes, weve turned a profit..and the Belvedere Park argument seems to have settled down

Pretty uneventful Id say
Nah their will still be malcontents questioning recruiting and list management.

What i like is that the club has stated the operating profit seperate from the net, showing that we ran at a profit without grants for improvements.

Ice Wolf
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote:Memebership and Reserve Seat Income was 6.6 million.
How does that conpare with teh Hawthorn figure (on 50,000+ members as against our 33,000+)?
They only brought in 1 million extra for 17,000+ extra members

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote: Also full credit to Archie Fraser, he took the pain and the angst of many supporters to initiate some important reform and change at the club. Nettlefold is bearing the fruits of this work.

Archie pushed through Frankston, the Jeld-Wen sponsorship, restructured our merchandise and membership departments, pushed for new spending and appointments in the football department and hired Ross Lyon. He worked his butt off for 2 years, and the benefits of this are now evident.
Yeah I really like Archie, and I still get the occasional email from him.

He loved the Club and spent many hours in the late evenings on any thing St Kilda related, he is still a proud and passionate Saints supporter.

I am sure that Tommy Walsh will testify to this as well...

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

I am also tipping that Melbourne Victory will play a home game next season on Saturday 2nd October to coincide with our B & F night (which will be across the road)...

He managed it last year and I am sure he will try to organise it again...

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Ice Wolf wrote:
well they have what 5 or 6 thousand tassie members what do they pay $20?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I dont know why you are intent on mentioning Hawthorn. Essendon was less than ours with 10k more members. Hawthorn's figure makes sense with the amount of members they had. Our membership revenue may be ok but our result isnt great and cannot beleive someone said it was a sensational result. It was ok and that is it.

bozza1980
Club Player

St Fidelius wrote:
Legendary wrote: Also full credit to Archie Fraser, he took the pain and the angst of many supporters to initiate some important reform and change at the club. Nettlefold is bearing the fruits of this work.

Archie pushed through Frankston, the Jeld-Wen sponsorship, restructured our merchandise and membership departments, pushed for new spending and appointments in the football department and hired Ross Lyon. He worked his butt off for 2 years, and the benefits of this are now evident.
Yeah I really like Archie, and I still get the occasional email from him.

He loved the Club and spent many hours in the late evenings on any thing St Kilda related, he is still a proud and passionate Saints supporter.

I am sure that Tommy Walsh will testify to this as well...
I have to agree with you about Archie.

I met him when I watched the Saints v Adelaide game with the SE Qld Saints at the Mermaid Beach Surf Life Saving Club.

Spent far too much of his precious time answering my never ending list of questions about the club. And a few about the A-League.

Top guy.

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.
Jimmy1972
Club Player

Please correct me if I'm wrong but were we not meant to make a loss this year. And with the money being spent on the Belvdere and all I think it is a great result. In fact I might buy my memebership now. :D

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I dont know why you are intent on mentioning Hawthorn. Essendon was less than ours with 10k more members. Hawthorn's figure makes sense with the amount of members they had. Our membership revenue may be ok but our result isnt great and cannot beleive someone said it was a sensational result. It was ok and that is it.

It means the saints get a higher rvenue per member than essendon or Hawthorn. In the end it's the money that members bring in that matters not the amount of members. Factor in the amount of more it takes to service those members (2mill for us) it is a good result, infact financially this is a great result for the club increased football department spending increased revenue increased profit increased investment (frankston), whats so wrong with it Plugger?
Last edited by ausfatcat on Mon 18 Jan 2010 9:54pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Ice Wolf wrote:

Half of Hawthorn's members are not "full" members no matter how much the club talks them up to be "full" members.

A profit is better than a loss. Cannot complain about that.
If we were not being bent over and rodgered by an omnibus by Colljns and his fkn cronies we would have made even better coin.

I cannot wait until we get into belvedere.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Jimmy1972
Club Player

+1

bigred
Saintsational Legend

We just need to back it up.

I think we still have some years of onfield success, new training base, better cash from home games.....

Nice to have some good news.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Over one million St Kilda members and supporters poured through the gates at AFL grounds across the country for the second consecutive year, and the Club had a total television audience of over 19 million, which was among the top four in the AFL.
Let's get this right, we're not talking over one million St Kilda supporters, but over one million spectators.

Could be misconstrued.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Moods
Saintsational Legend

I'm too lazy to read the report - but what was the total revenue we generated out of curiousity?

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:I'm too lazy to read the report - but what was the total revenue we generated out of curiousity?

27,620,890 up from 23,703,769 last year

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
Over one million St Kilda members and supporters poured through the gates at AFL grounds across the country for the second consecutive year, and the Club had a total television audience of over 19 million, which was among the top four in the AFL.
Let's get this right, we're not talking over one million St Kilda supporters, but over one million spectators.

Could be misconstrued.
correct.

Our TV viewership was great, considering our shyte TV-unfriendly draw.

TV wise, we should be Top 2 this season (provided we fire on field!).

We now need crowd numbers to increase at the gate.

I agree with plugger, we should've done better given we nearly won the flag.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
I dont know why you are intent on mentioning Hawthorn. Essendon was less than ours with 10k more members. Hawthorn's figure makes sense with the amount of members they had. Our membership revenue may be ok but our result isnt great and cannot beleive someone said it was a sensational result. It was ok and that is it.
Because as you well know plugger, I have been maintaining that comparing 'raw membership numbers' does not give you an accurate picture.
It would seem that these figures published by the Saints add some credence to the point I was trying to make that the revenue generated by the memberships sold/given away by individual Clubs is a better way of comparing those Clubs, rather than the number of memberships sold/given away.

I also believe that the figures published are actually not a true reflection of the current financial position of the Club.

For example:-
There doesn't seem to be as huge an increase in the 'Sponsorship' figure when you take into account that we have previously been told that the Jeldwen deal is 'back-ended'. Maybe the bulk of the money for that 3 year deal will be paid this year (the last year)?

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:For example:-
There doesn't seem to be as huge an increase in the 'Sponsorship' figure
Compared to?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Because as you well know plugger, I have been maintaining that comparing 'raw membership numbers' does not give you an accurate picture.
It would seem that these figures published by the Saints add some credence to the point I was trying to make that the revenue generated by the memberships sold/given away by individual Clubs is a better way of comparing those Clubs, rather than the number of memberships sold/given away.

I also believe that the figures published are actually not a true reflection of the current financial position of the Club.

For example:-
There doesn't seem to be as huge an increase in the 'Sponsorship' figure when you take into account that we have previously been told that the Jeldwen deal is 'back-ended'. Maybe the bulk of the money for that 3 year deal will be paid this year (the last year)?
Maybe we have less sponsors than last year.