All you Armo doubters

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintjake
Club Player

All you Armo doubters

cop that, superb effort,
yeah some poor disposal, but its the first game, that will come.
12 contested touches
9 clearances
7 tackles
great hard game
and even better

he beat ball 8-)

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

Brilliant pass to Schneider to win the game.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Yeah good game by him
But remember it was round 1 in the Nab Cup, i just hope he keeps up the performances, Ball also wasn't to bad

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
saintjake
Club Player

yeah i know ball wasn't bad.
but armo beat him 8-)

chook23
Saintsational Legend

needs to work on disposal..........such an important area to get as right as possible.......

turnovers kill

saint4life
PaulieGa
Club Player

I was telling my pie supporter friend (who has been telling me that Ball has had his best pre-season in 5 years, will be back to his best, and that Ross the Boss just didn't know how to get the most out of him) to compare Ball to David Armitage tonight as I believed that Armitage will take Ball's role and do a better job than him at it.

Well they both had clangers (Ball 2 kicks straight to Saints players and a handball) but I am happy to see that Armo had a good night.

Armo 26Touches 12Kicks 14Handballs 3Marks 7Tackles vs Ball 22Touches 15Kicks 7Handballs 5Marks 6Tackles and 1 Goal.

Luke got more DT points (5) but I thought Armo looked more damaging, looked more eager and ran and did heaps more defensively.

I hope he can keep it up for the season... I have been waiting for him to crack into the team and last years game against Hawthorn was just a teaser.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Who doubted him?

bendigo bob
Club Player

Good display by Armo but one thing I noticed is that he tends to float a lot of his passes (obviously not the one to Schnides!). Has a habit of kicking it to high allowing it to be spoiled. Needs to concentrate on harder flat passes (like to one to Schnides).

BJ has arrived!!!!!!!!!!

BJ's #1 Fan

Winner of the half time Social Club auction for Kosi's jumper Round 19 2005
Can we build it? Yes we can!!
nuttsy
Club Player

armo looked great, he's on the way up

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

bendigo bob wrote:Good display by Armo but one thing I noticed is that he tends to float a lot of his passes (obviously not the one to Schnides!). Has a habit of kicking it to high allowing it to be spoiled. Needs to concentrate on harder flat passes (like to one to Schnides).
Agreed, handballs and kicks...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

It's armo's job to step up.....what's the big deal now that he's doing what he's paid for....

can he sustain it...time will tell...otherwise Smith will grab his spot

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Beej
Saintsational Legend

ball use was a bit poor but boy, when he tackles someone they stay tackled.

Ouch.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

don't remember to many negative comments re ammo in recent months myself...

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Megamaguire
Club Player

Armo successfully forced himself into the game!

I liked the way Armo simply forced himself into the game again and again. His determination to be 'in' the middle of the action helped his game a lot on friday. This determination to keep producing inspite of a few heavy blows was inspiring. I really hope Armo continues in this vein as i think his natural skills will shine through if he is in enough of the play.
Once he settles into this mindset of continual presence a la Lenny Hayes he'll proove indespensible -

Good Luck Armo!

GO SAINTS!

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
lefty
Club Player

Armo is my favorite player, he's a gun.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Milan Faletic wrote:Who doubted him?
+1

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Armo successfully forced himself into the game!

Megamaguire wrote:I liked the way Armo simply forced himself into the game again and again. His determination to be 'in' the middle of the action helped his game a lot on friday. This determination to keep producing inspite of a few heavy blows was inspiring. I really hope Armo continues in this vein as i think his natural skills will shine through if he is in enough of the play.
Once he settles into this mindset of continual presence a la Lenny Hayes he'll proove indespensible -

Good Luck Armo!

GO SAINTS!
Totally agree. I have no doubts he has the necessary goods to become an excellent midfielder for us but the real improvement will come from playing in the seniors alongside our elite mids.

Comparisons to Ball are to be expected given they have some similarities and that Armo's inclusion in the side has been assisted by LB's departure. However it's pointless comparing their stats week after week. I'll simply be happy to see Armo finally establish himself as part of a successful Saints team.

mick13
Club Player

lefty wrote:Armo is my favorite player, he's a gun.
+1

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

I love Armo!!!

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Round 1 NAB Cup, long way to go.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

Get him in ya DT's fellas

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:Round 1 NAB Cup, long way to go.
Totally. May as well say Smith has made it as well. Lets see Armo in the real year. Hopefully can go as well as he did last week and also cut out some more mistakes.

DWOODROW
Club Player

I have to agree. I wasn't overly impressed with his dispaosal but as Bernard and Plugger have pointed out it is the first game of the year and a Nab cup game. With things to work on before the season proper and having elite footballers by his side I think he will get better and improve with seniour players playing beside him.
Still some way to go but promising. I'm hard on him cause it's my job. He wants to improve though so he will get better.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

THe knock I've had with armo is his consistency and his work rate. He found the ball plenty on Friday night and he tackled well (as usual) so he must have worked pretty hard - hard to tell watching the game on TV. He's now into his 4th year? - we need him playing consistently each week, averaging about 20 possessions, with the occasional 25-30 possession game.

I'm confident that his disposal will get better with confidence. I was happy with his game but poss a bit of perspective needed by the O.P. Great start, but looonnng way to go yet. Still hasn't nailed down a position for Rd 1 yet, although he has the front running with that game and Jack getting injured.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

He demonstrated last year in round 19 that he has made significant improvement. The biggest improvement is his run to position, which never came naturally to him, but with added fitness etc, can be at the level required for our game plan. Standing at the foot of packs and getting first hands on the ball is no longer sufficient to guarantee a place in the team (just ask Luke Ball).

He remains a one paced player who still tends to lack awareness of chase downs, especially when he ignores the first option up field. His skills have improved and will continue to if he works hard enough. I noted one left foot kick on Friday - a forty yarder (20 up and 20 down), but it was a start. He should get a few DVDs of Sam Mitchell to see just what slow in and under player can achieve if they work hard enough.