Solid start for Goose

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Fidelis
Club Player

Solid start for Goose

Newspaper reports suggest Goose Maguire made an impressive return to senior footy yesterday with the Lions. The Lions' website lists him as accumulating 20 disposals (almost a game high) in an "impressive" display.

Did anyone see the game?

Early days yet but good signs.

I, for one, hopes he makes a real go of a fresh opportunity.

http://www.lions.com.au/news/newsarticl ... fault.aspx

Faithful Even Unto Death
Unforgiven
SS Life Member

surely he has to get a game ahead of Jason Roe if he is still at the lions, they have a big gap at CHB.

Carpe Diem
markinUSA
SS Life Member

Good luck to him. Poor fella had a horrible injury playing for the Saints, I'll always wish him the best in life.

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
BelfastSaint
Club Player

Was really disappointed when Goose left the Saints ....
Miss him a lot more than Luke Ball .......

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Should be moved to Opposition forum.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Winmarvellous
Club Player

Roe's playing for East Perth in the WAFL I think. Lovett may be joining him :evil:

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Yeah opposition forum.

Will always have time for the goose though...

stinger
Saintsational Legend

would have been handy in this year's grandfinal playing on boofhead hall.....imhfo that is.... :cry:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:would have been handy in this year's grandfinal playing on boofhead hall.....imhfo that is.... :cry:
You must really rate Josh Gibson? :wink: :)

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Good news for Goose - a small step for him.

Who was he playing on?

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Damit.....

stinger
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
stinger wrote:would have been handy in this year's grandfinal playing on boofhead hall.....imhfo that is.... :cry:
no...don't rate him at all......also...your comment doesn't make an once of sense to me.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
SainterK wrote:
no...don't rate him at all......also...your comment doesn't make an once of sense to me.....
How much is an once?

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
SainterK wrote:
Dunno what a once of sense is, but I am not terribly fussed about not having it :wink:

What I meant was, let's see how Barry goes on a good defender before worrying about him.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

ordinary opinion stinger, ordinary opinion 8-) !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

BelfastSaint wrote:Was really disappointed when Goose left the Saints ....
Right there with you on that. I reckon we could have egg on our faces for this move, too, like the Ball and Lovett ones.
With a year of footy last year under his belt, plus the operation a few months ago (that apparently freed up his ability to run) he could very easily be in for a good year.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:
Right there with you on that. I reckon we could have egg on our faces for this move, too, like the Ball and Lovett ones.
With a year of footy last year under his belt, plus the operation a few months ago (that apparently freed up his ability to run) he could very easily be in for a good year.
Sometimes you have to crack some eggs to make an omelette...we'll be fine.

I wish Goose well, but he would find it hard to break into the best defence, ever.

Middo
Club Player

SainterK wrote:
AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:
Sometimes you have to crack some eggs to make an omelette...we'll be fine.

I wish Goose well, but he would find it hard to break into the best defence, ever.
Sometimes ???? have to crack eggs to make an omelette ??? What else can you use ? Goose Eggs :D

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
saintnick12
Club Player

Love Goose, and was really sad to see him go, though I fully understand why it happened, both from the clubs point of view and his own. No one can blame him for wanting to go to give himself more opportunities. Even if he had stayed, I still think he would have been a depth player, relying on injuries to get a game. Even though he's improving he's not a patch on what he was, and he was going to be a long way from best 22, with Blake, Fisher, Gilbert and Dawson miles in front of him. I certainly don't begrudge him leaving to give himself what is most likely his last chance of continuing his career. Going in the draft he got two years there too which gives him some security. So I'm really happy for him that he did so well. I can't see him troubling us too much though so it doesn't worry me from that point of view. They were playing Carlton remember who are looking pretty average but managed to beat them. Carlton looked pretty bad against sydney last week.

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
fingers
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
stinger wrote:
SainterK wrote:
How much is an once?
It's 1/16th of a pond.

Winmarvellous
Club Player

It's 1/16th of a pond.
:lol:

vacuous space
SS Life Member

saintnick12 wrote:No one can blame him for wanting to go to give himself more opportunities.
I thought he was delisted. I certainly don't blame him for anything. He gave everything he had for us and was very close to AA in 05. Had a horrific injury and did everything he could to get back after it. Played forward, back and ruck in the VFL. As far as I know, he didn't complain. I'm sorry he didn't get his 100th.

I hope nobody boos him if he plays us later in the year.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
saintnick12
Club Player

vacuous space wrote:
saintnick12 wrote:No one can blame him for wanting to go to give himself more opportunities.
I thought he was delisted. I certainly don't blame him for anything. He gave everything he had for us and was very close to AA in 05. Had a horrific injury and did everything he could to get back after it. Played forward, back and ruck in the VFL. As far as I know, he didn't complain. I'm sorry he didn't get his 100th.

Agree he was in the end delisted, but I had heard that he was offered one year earlier and didn't accept it.

Agreed its a shame he didn't get to his 100th. He was one of my all time favourite players. My son used to play footy in his number. I certainly won't be booing him when we play them. In fact when he gets selected for his first real game for them, I'll be sure to be watching on tv to see how he goes.

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

saintnick12 wrote:
vacuous space wrote:

Agree he was in the end delisted, but I had heard that he was offered one year earlier and didn't accept it.

Agreed its a shame he didn't get to his 100th. He was one of my all time favourite players. My son used to play footy in his number. I certainly won't be booing him when we play them. In fact when he gets selected for his first real game for them, I'll be sure to be watching on tv to see how he goes.
And I've got a soft spot for both Goose adn X - two great clubmen whose careers with us were cruelled by injury.
Yet they both never stopped smiling throughtout all the tribulations.
Good on tehm both for managing to get another opportunity. I'd be staggered if anybody begrudged them that.

And X oozed class in his goodbye video - something maybe others might learn a lesson from?

saintnick12
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote:
saintnick12 wrote:
vacuous space wrote:

And I've got a soft spot for both Goose adn X - two great clubmen whose careers with us were cruelled by injury.
Yet they both never stopped smiling throughtout all the tribulations.
Good on tehm both for managing to get another opportunity. I'd be staggered if anybody begrudged them that.

And X oozed class in his goodbye video - something maybe others might learn a lesson from?
Never watched that video...might log on and see if its still there.

Just realised that first game for the lions will be his 100th so a pretty special day for him. I will definately try and watch, although I will be struggling if its round one as I'm going to Sydney for the saints game.